Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(05-21-2021, 08:50 AM)divmenow Wrote: added BABA and ABNB

Why not, the chart looks awesome.  Smile

I have a small limit order in.  My position is about as large as I will allow.
Sold about 1/3 of T position and put some money in BTI. Sold out JMIA at a loss and added 1 share of Tesla (still not cheap, but like their growth prospects)
Added to JPM, CZNC, KO, LAND, and OHI.
(02-25-2021, 10:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(05-21-2021, 09:30 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:12 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:08 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:06 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Dude I am a charter member of ENPH.  I made a few hundred a month the past year selling short puts while it ran.  I have a few short puts that are WAY in the money after this bloodbath.  I can only roll forward so much before I own $140 shares.   Big Grin  I said here many times I was good with adding a real position starting at $125.  If I am honest I need ENPH to head back to $120ish to be back to even.  I wasn;t aggressive enough when it was truly cheap.  I'll add shares to my growthy port in the meantime.

Yeah yeah. What ever floats your boat  Big Grin lol
I am very good with owning ENPH long-term.  How happy I am in the end very much depends on the entry.  We'll see where the bottom is soon enough.

Well me too. Got in at $108.90  Big Grin

This will be a big winner for years to come.  You have to add at some point, so why not today. I don't worry about making a few $ here and there  Big Grin . I'm in to win it lol 

Are we having fun today  Big Grin

(05-21-2021, 06:32 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I'll still be looking to buy the new entity; I think HBO MAX has a lot of promise.

Going to be starting a new strategy today in ROTH-land.  From now on, every day I will siphon just a little bit from the top 2-3 gainers, and move the money to the bottom 2-3 losers (or others that need rebalancing). Also I will continue to branch out from triples and add other growth stocks & etfs (such as this new HBO MAX company).  It's less than half the size of the taxable account so I don't want to have too many equities in there, but I'd like it to aim for more of a 50/50 balance between leveraged growth and standard growth.
I like that plan better than your previous ones the past few months.  We've obviously been trying to convince you to lighten up the leverage for a less stressful port in a fully valued market.  It's good to take profits from gambling positions.  Just be mindful that trends last longer than 24HRs.  You are talking about potentially trimming a winner the first day into a rally, and buying a falling knife the first day into a beatdown.  This is called day trading and you'll outsmart yourself. 

Ever notice how we usually don't buy a dip immediately off a disappointing earnings report unless its an extreme over-reaction?  It's because more often than not the day after tomorrow's price is even better.

Interesting - I could trim on the 3rd consecutive up day.
[quote pid='26329' dateline='1621610640']
[quote pid='26325' dateline='1621607446']

(05-21-2021, 06:32 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I'll still be looking to buy the new entity; I think HBO MAX has a lot of promise.

Going to be starting a new strategy today in ROTH-land.  From now on, every day I will siphon just a little bit from the top 2-3 gainers, and move the money to the bottom 2-3 losers (or others that need rebalancing). Also I will continue to branch out from triples and add other growth stocks & etfs (such as this new HBO MAX company).  It's less than half the size of the taxable account so I don't want to have too many equities in there, but I'd like it to aim for more of a 50/50 balance between leveraged growth and standard growth.
I like that plan better than your previous ones the past few months.  We've obviously been trying to convince you to lighten up the leverage for a less stressful port in a fully valued market.  It's good to take profits from gambling positions.  Just be mindful that trends last longer than 24HRs.  You are talking about potentially trimming a winner the first day into a rally, and buying a falling knife the first day into a beatdown.  This is called day trading and you'll outsmart yourself. 

Ever notice how we usually don't buy a dip immediately off a disappointing earnings report unless its an extreme over-reaction?  It's because more often than not the day after tomorrow's price is even better.
[/quote]

Interesting - I could trim on the 3rd consecutive up day.
[/quote]
Doing everything gradually seems to work better on average because we won't time it perfectly, but instead react to the market's mood swing of the day or hour.  Reacting to daily swings probably ends less than optimal. Most day traders lose money and that is what you basically said you are going to do. If it was easy most actively managed funds would beat the indexes.  That is not at all reality going back decades.
(05-21-2021, 06:29 AM)NilesMike Wrote: I would not leave T for dead just quite yet.

"New" T w/o a large part of their debt, focused on T business, along with shares of the new entity may just work out well.

4%+ yield with the offer of growth is not bad.

I'd rather avoid the 16% drop in equity to $25/share (my guess as to where it ends up after slashing its dividend nearly in half). Lots of ETFs and other funds that own T as an aristocrat will be forced to divest, and a number of DGI investors who have relied on T as a big chunk of their income will do the same (likely well in advance, hence the drop from the recent $32+ highs as soon as the merger/spinoff was announced). There will be additional carnage in the stock price when the cut occurs. 

So, I'm out. T is already in third place when it comes to 5G spectrum, and will be playing catch-up for years. Cooking up a merger/spinoff of an asset that was supposed to be a cornerstone of the business model just 18 months ago, and alienating your core shareholders in the process, is a sure sign of management that is inept (at best). I may invest in the HBO Max/Discovery SpinCo as a growth company once it debuts, but T is giving me strong GE/IBM vibes.
(05-11-2021, 09:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 08:47 AM)divmenow Wrote: Way to go...  Big Grin . Join the ENPH club lol

I also took a new position in PXD thanks to the secondary at $153

I needed to add another name in the sector to go along with CVX and EOG

now the only other sector I'm underweight in is leisure  Big Grin
Dude I am a charter member of ENPH.  I made a few hundred a month the past year selling short puts while it ran.  I have a few short puts that are WAY in the money after this bloodbath.  I can only roll forward so much before I own $140 shares.   Big Grin  I said here many times I was good with adding a real position starting at $125.  If I am honest I need ENPH to head back to $120ish to be back to even.  I wasn;t aggressive enough when it was truly cheap.  I'll add shares to my growthy port in the meantime.

I am very good with owning ENPH long-term.  How happy I am in the end very much depends on the entry.  We'll see where the bottom is soon enough.

This will be a big winner for years to come.  You have to add at some point, so why not today. I don't worry about making a few $ here and there  Big Grin . I'm in to win it lol 

(05-21-2021, 10:53 AM)Otter Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 06:29 AM)NilesMike Wrote: I would not leave T for dead just quite yet.

"New" T w/o a large part of their debt, focused on T business, along with shares of the new entity may just work out well.

I'd rather avoid the 16% drop in equity to $25/share (my guess as to where it ends up after slashing its dividend nearly in half). Lots of ETFs and other funds that own T as an aristocrat will be forced to divest, and a number of DGI investors who have relied on T as a big chunk of their income will do the same (likely well in advance, hence the drop from the recent $32+ highs as soon as the merger/spinoff was announced). There will be additional carnage in the stock price when the cut occurs. 

So, I'm out. T is already in third place when it comes to 5G spectrum, and will be playing catch-up for years. Cooking up a merger/spinoff of an asset that was supposed to be a cornerstone of the business model just 18 months ago, and alienating your core shareholders in the process, is a sure sign of management that is inept (at best). I may invest in the HBO Max/Discovery SpinCo as a growth company once it debuts, but T is giving me strong GE/IBM vibes.
We agree for a change.  The hell with T.  That's what I say.  Big Grin

If not for conservative option tricks T has been a big fail if you care at all how it has performed against SPY for XXX years.  Would I play it again if it gets crushed?  Maybe, and I'll be out on the next short lived rally.  I think T will do what it does for a good while.  Just lay there and wait for an excuse to trade the lower end of it's range half the time.
Added more baba, sold CC on PLTR.
(05-21-2021, 11:02 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Dude I am a charter member of ENPH.  I made a few hundred a month the past year selling short puts while it ran.  I have a few short puts that are WAY in the money after this bloodbath.  I can only roll forward so much before I own $140 shares.   Big Grin  I said here many times I was good with adding a real position starting at $125.  If I am honest I need ENPH to head back to $120ish to be back to even.  I wasn;t aggressive enough when it was truly cheap.  I'll add shares to my growthy port in the meantime.

(05-21-2021, 10:53 AM)Otter Wrote:

We agree for a change.  The hell with T.  That's what I say.  Big Grin

If not for conservative option tricks T has been a big fail if you care at all how it has performed against SPY for XXX years.  Would I play it again if it gets crushed?  Maybe, and I'll be out on the next short lived rally.  I think T will do what it does for a good while.  Just lay there and wait for an excuse to trade the lower end of it's range half the time.

I also think there is a good chance that T saddles the new SpinCo with a massive amount of debt, so that it won't be able to invest in growing its content library and user base like a "growth" company should be able to. That death by a thousand cuts should show up in the earnings reports a few years down the line. So, my investment in SpinCo will depend upon whether it is an actual company, or just a vehicle for getting rid of debt.
T has stated that it will receive some $43 billion in "a combination of cash, debt securities, and WarnerMedia's retention of certain debt."
First of all, there won't be much cash moving around since there is no one to pay that cash to T. This leaves us with "debt securities" and "retention of certain debt". Now I don't know specifically what debt securities they are talking about but I'm kinda doubtful that we will be talking tens of billions here.
Combine this with the fact that they already said that SpinCo will be using the cash from the firsts couple of years to pay down debt to get into their desired leverage ratio..

My guess is that the large majority of that $43 billion is debt that will be pushed onto SpinCo's books.
(05-21-2021, 11:33 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: T has stated that it will receive some $43 billion in "a combination of cash, debt securities, and WarnerMedia's retention of certain debt."
First of all, there won't be much cash moving around since there is no one to pay that cash to T. This leaves us with "debt securities" and "retention of certain debt". Now I don't know specifically what debt securities they are talking about but I'm kinda doubtful that we will be talking tens of billions here.
Combine this with the fact that they already said that SpinCo will be using the cash from the firsts couple of years to pay down debt to get into their desired leverage ratio..

My guess is that the large majority of that $43 billion is debt that will be pushed onto SpinCo's books.

Amazing value destruction. Replaced my T with a mix of ABNB, PPL, and UNM (a new holding).
I booked a 3% long term capital loss on my T shares.