Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(05-11-2021, 08:34 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought ENPH, TDOC, AVGO, APPL, MO, and CRSP.

Told you I would be buying some lol
Added to ENPH and GNRC.  Just a little as I build positions.  Placed a lot of limit orders and knew I'd guess high on a few.  A buck doesn't matter so much in a freefall.   Big Grin
I don't think we've seen anything yet regarding price drops in high flyers. Many of the high growth stocks are still in the stratosphere as far as valuation goes, and many were run up on playing the out of the money call option game, so there isn't really much solid fundamental support below them.

Stocks like those in streaming, the genomic sector, cloud computing, software, etc. are still trading at 20-30X revenues with no earnings. Keep in mind the massive leverage in the system as well. IIRC margin use is at an all-time high.

You get a fund or two (ARKK maybe) blow like Archegos did a month ago and it's all going to come crashing down hard.

Another day or two sell-off and Friday could get awfully interesting when margin calls go out.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(05-11-2021, 08:44 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 08:34 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought ENPH, TDOC, AVGO, APPL, MO, and CRSP.

Added to ENPH and GNRC.  Just a little as I build positions.  Placed a lot of limit orders and knew I'd guess high on a few.  A buck doesn't matter so much in a freefall.   Big Grin

Way to go...  Big Grin . Join the ENPH club lol

I also took a new position in PXD thanks to the secondary at $153

I needed to add another name in the sector to go along with CVX and EOG

now the only other sector I'm underweight in is leisure  Big Grin
(05-11-2021, 08:45 AM)EricL Wrote: I don't think we've seen anything yet regarding price drops in high flyers. Many of the high growth stocks are still in the stratosphere as far as valuation goes, and many were run up on playing the out of the money call option game, so there isn't really much solid fundamental support below them.

Stocks like those in streaming, the genomic sector, cloud computing, software, etc. are still trading at 20-30X revenues with no earnings. Keep in mind the massive leverage in the system as well. IIRC margin use is at an all-time high.

You get a fund or two (ARKK maybe) blow like Archegos did a month ago and it's all going to come crashing down hard.

Another day or two sell-off and Friday could get awfully interesting when margin calls go out.

If that's the case then why did you buy all those name like CRSP, and others near the highs if you knew they were over valued  Big Grin I know you sold them, but you took losses on most and then went in those other names like ENPH at much higher levels. You have a itchy trigger finger just like me lol 

Of course there over valued. But you buy them for the future. At least ENPH is making money and I didn't buy at $220 lol. I can deal with $109  Big Grin

And you know how I feel about ARKK. Will never buy her funds or ETF's. All she does is add the momo stocks and doesn't care at what price. Its the same names over and over again. Maybe one day she will catch the bottom Wink
(05-11-2021, 08:47 AM)divmenow Wrote:

Dude I am a charter member of ENPH.  I made a few hundred a month the past year selling short puts while it ran.  I have a few short puts that are WAY in the money after this bloodbath.  I can only roll forward so much before I own $140 shares.   Big Grin  I said here many times I was good with adding a real position starting at $125.  If I am honest I need ENPH to head back to $120ish to be back to even.  I wasn;t aggressive enough when it was truly cheap.  I'll add shares to my growthy port in the meantime.
(05-11-2021, 08:53 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 08:45 AM)EricL Wrote: I don't think we've seen anything yet regarding price drops in high flyers. Many of the high growth stocks are still in the stratosphere as far as valuation goes, and many were run up on playing the out of the money call option game, so there isn't really much solid fundamental support below them.

If that's the case then why did you buy all those name like CRSP, and others near the highs if you knew they were over valued  Big Grin I know you sold them, but you took losses on most and then went in those other names like ENPH at much higher levels. You have a itchy trigger finger just like me lol 

Of course there over valued. But you buy them for the future. At least ENPH is making money and I didn't buy at $220 lol. I can deal with $109  Big Grin

And you know how I feel about ARKK. Will never buy her funds or ETF's. All she does is add the momo stocks and doesn't care at what price. Its the same names over and over again. Maybe one day she will catch the bottom Wink
You tryin' to start a stock fight?   Big Grin

If I take a loss this week it will be my Kathie fund. (ARK-G)  If I leave a position at a loss I need a place to put the money immediately that is down similar with a better narrative.  That won't be too hard to find today as I am only down 20%.   I can't be taking a loss and buying CAT shares lol.

And to end my week I get to roll some puts when I have a day off to deal with it.  All my real spec is in puts now as I sold some the past few weeks.  About 5 stocks.  Hey they looked cheap when I did it lol.  Where the hell is VBIN.  He owns a few of these beatdowns too lol.
(05-11-2021, 09:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Dude I am a charter member of ENPH.  I made a few hundred a month the past year selling short puts while it ran.  I have a few short puts that are WAY in the money after this bloodbath.  I can only roll forward so much before I own $140 shares.   Big Grin  I said here many times I was good with adding a real position starting at $125.  If I am honest I need ENPH to head back to $120ish to be back to even.  I wasn;t aggressive enough when it was truly cheap.  I'll add shares to my growthy port in the meantime.

Yeah yeah. What ever floats your boat  Big Grin lol
Broken Post
Look at good old MO. Up again. $60's are on the way.

Anyone own Agilent Technologies, Inc. (A) ?? Its been a good one. Nice chart.
(05-11-2021, 09:09 AM)divmenow Wrote: Look at good old MO. Up again. $60's are on the way.

Anyone own Agilent Technologies, Inc. (A) ?? Its been a good one. Nice chart.
Dumping MO when I get a minute.  It's been a good ride for sure.  Not on my hold forever list.  Done with the everlasting drama while it tries to achieve it's five year ago share price.
(05-11-2021, 09:08 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:06 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 09:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 08:44 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Added to ENPH and GNRC.  Just a little as I build positions.  Placed a lot of limit orders and knew I'd guess high on a few.  A buck doesn't matter so much in a freefall.   Big Grin

Yeah yeah. What ever floats your boat  Big Grin lol
I am very good with owning ENPH long-term.  How happy I am in the end very much depends on the entry.  We'll see where the bottom is soon enough.

Well me too. Got in at $108.90  Big Grin

This will be a big winner for years to come.  You have to add at some point, so why not today. I don't worry about making a few $ here and there  Big Grin . I'm in to win it lol 

Are we having fun today  Big Grin
(05-11-2021, 08:53 AM)divmenow Wrote:

I bought CRSP and similar names because they were going higher. I sold them because they started falling, and when I realized there is no way to value them other than a hope for future earnings that may never come.

I added more to ENPH and SEDG because they actually are making money and I think the trend for more solar installations will continue. I was early adding more to them, and they are still a bit expensive, but I am more comfortable holding them during price drops than the genome stocks that had no earnings.

This has been another important lesson to me about momo-investing and trading. I'm not terribly good at it, and I am reminded how I hate the uncertainty that goes with it. Which is why I do it in a smaller side portfolio so I can't screw things up too badly.

DGI is much more aligned with my personality, and I'm thankful it makes up the vast majority of my investments.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha