Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I have to give it to you guys and gal, I'm always amazed at the activity!
(01-21-2021, 01:05 PM)kblake Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:56 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:41 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:39 AM)EricL Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:34 AM)divmenow Wrote: F and GM breaking out. Who would have thought lol

I added CGC and UPS

Can someone please explain this EV hype train to me?

F & GM makes little money on every car sold, they make up for it with profits from their pickup truck sales.

The auto business is a highly cyclical, highly competitive, and low margin business.

Why will that still not be the case with EV's? Are they magically more profitable for car makers than ICE cars are?
Most are notprofitablle yet. Investors today are buying EV stocks in expectation of future profitability as the world's auto fleet transitions away from fossil fuels. Excitement in the sector isn't necessarily unfounded. Electric vehicles really are a growth market.
"When it comes to renewable energy, this is not something that happens years in the future. It's happening today," Already, about one in 40 new cars is electric. But that number grows every year, and 20% or more of all new car sales will likely be electric by 2030.

So the growth is real and I believe we are getting in at the ground level here. Not to mention Biden is in favor of this sector. So the president is in their corner. 

They are a ton of names to buy in this industry, but like all industries you have to be selective. 
I agree with your EV growth thesis but I think the ground level was 75% ago.  It takes some creative financial mental gymnastics to think todays prices are cheap for most of the EV names.  (Eric already explained why).

I agree with your points. And even know they have run, they have a long way to go.  Look how much tech has run up. Many of those companies are trading at 50-100 x next earnings and many don't even have earnings. Same with BIO's. Most bios are making - minus 2$ in earnings or worse and yet they still reach high levels. This is not like the old days. The market looks ahead and rewards those companies that have a bright future and are good for the economy. 

EV companies will soon be in the black and these levels there trading at now will look like bargains. I strongly believe that. 

Don't be jealous because you think you missed the boat  Big Grin

FWIW, I don't chase anything, however statements like this always get me nervous "This is not like the old days" another that puts up a big red flag for me (not said here but heard often) is "But it's different this time"  It's never different, good companies and profits always pay out, eventually you will be rewarded--it might take years but it will happen.

I've bored myself right into a 7 figure portfolio, I did nothing extreme and nothing special but stayed the course.
(01-23-2021, 01:00 PM)rayray Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:41 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:39 AM)EricL Wrote: Can someone please explain this EV hype train to me?

F & GM makes little money on every car sold, they make up for it with profits from their pickup truck sales.

The auto business is a highly cyclical, highly competitive, and low margin business.

Why will that still not be the case with EV's? Are they magically more profitable for car makers than ICE cars are?
Most are notprofitablle yet. Investors today are buying EV stocks in expectation of future profitability as the world's auto fleet transitions away from fossil fuels. Excitement in the sector isn't necessarily unfounded. Electric vehicles really are a growth market.
"When it comes to renewable energy, this is not something that happens years in the future. It's happening today," Already, about one in 40 new cars is electric. But that number grows every year, and 20% or more of all new car sales will likely be electric by 2030.

So the growth is real and I believe we are getting in at the ground level here. Not to mention Biden is in favor of this sector. So the president is in their corner. 

They are a ton of names to buy in this industry, but like all industries you have to be selective. 
I agree with your EV growth thesis but I think the ground level was 75% ago.  It takes some creative financial mental gymnastics to think todays prices are cheap for most of the EV names.  (Eric already explained why).

I agree with your points. And even know they have run, they have a long way to go.  Look how much tech has run up. Many of those companies are trading at 50-100 x next earnings and many don't even have earnings. Same with BIO's. Most bios are making - minus 2$ in earnings or worse and yet they still reach high levels. This is not like the old days. The market looks ahead and rewards those companies that have a bright future and are good for the economy. 

EV companies will soon be in the black and these levels there trading at now will look like bargains. I strongly believe that. 

FWIW, I don't chase anything, however statements like this always get me nervous "This is not like the old days" another that puts up a big red flag for me (not said here but heard often) is "But it's different this time"  It's never different, good companies and profits always pay out, eventually you will be rewarded--it might take years but it will happen.

I've bored myself right into a 7 figure portfolio, I did nothing extreme and nothing special but stayed the course.
This is what makes the forum fun.  DGI stocks are real snoozers sometimes lol.  We are here everyday and there is some banter.  I consider it friendly anyway.  Based on what I read here nobody is losing any money lately.

All that said, Kblake sure drank the EV Kool-Aid didn't he?  They are worth infinity as long as they grow some sales next year. Smile
fenders, it's always best to slow down and check yourself, make sure you're not investing with emotions...investing should be void of all emotion. Look at the numbers and only the numbers, as long as the numbers are not a lie how can one lose? In time you'll be rewarded. I have to slow myself all the time, it kills me holding cash cause it feels like i'm losing money, holding cash--which in case--add in inflation we are lol
(01-23-2021, 05:50 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 01:00 PM)rayray Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:41 PM)divmenow Wrote: Most are notprofitablle yet. Investors today are buying EV stocks in expectation of future profitability as the world's auto fleet transitions away from fossil fuels. Excitement in the sector isn't necessarily unfounded. Electric vehicles really are a growth market.

This is what makes the forum fun.  DGI stocks are real snoozers sometimes lol.  We are here everyday and there is some banter.  I consider it friendly anyway.  Based on what I read here nobody is losing any money lately.

All that said, Kblake sure drank the EV Kool-Aid didn't he?  They are worth infinity as long as they grow some sales next year. Smile
Well it must be magic kool-aid then since I'm up 35-80% on most of those names  Big Grin 

And I like the negativity when people question your investments decisions. There are always going to be critics, but those critics is what makes a bull market lol. Just because you don't like certain names or investments doesn't mean there bad ones. All those same critics on here said don't buy like 100 names and they have all doubles since then. So I like the negativity  Big Grin  Keep them coming  Tongue 

Some people on here like the stick to there safe plays because that's what they have been doing for the last 30 years. And that works. I'm cool with that. I have a lot of those same names. But sometimes you need to go outside of the box and look for names that have potential. Nothing wrong with that  Big Grin
It's all good and differing viewpoints make the place useful. I keep it to a minimum but this is one of those times when some risk on has been lucrative. Reality is many of what we are calling safe are also overvalued now. Whatever week the market pulls back will be painful. Our other option is to tell each other every stock is a winner. That hasn't been far from true lately but it doesn't last.
(01-24-2021, 12:39 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's all good and differing viewpoints make the place useful. I keep it to a minimum but this is one of those times when some risk on has been lucrative. Reality is many of what we are calling safe are also overvalued now. Whatever week the market pulls back will be painful. Our other option is to tell each other every stock is a winner. That hasn't been far from true lately but it doesn't last.
You are absolutely correct fenders. When every Tom and Jerry starts giving you stock advice arround you, it's time to be scary and that's what I have noticed recently, lol. I think it's not a bad idea to ride on the momentum train or try out something new outside the div growth philosophy but be cautious and play with what someone is ready to loose.
(01-24-2021, 01:03 PM)vbin Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 12:39 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's all good and differing viewpoints make the place useful.  I keep it to a minimum but this is one of those times when some risk on has been lucrative.  Reality is many of what we are calling safe are also overvalued now. Whatever week the market pulls back will be painful. Our other option is to tell each other every stock is a winner.  That hasn't been far from true lately but it doesn't last.
You are absolutely correct fenders. When every Tom and Jerry starts giving you stock advice arround you, it's time to be scary and that's what I have noticed recently, lol. I think it's not a bad idea to ride on the momentum train or try out something new outside the div growth philosophy but be cautious and play with what someone is ready to loose.
Haven’t we all been saying the market has been over valued for 3 years lol. Heck even when the pandemic hit people on here were saying don’t buy, were headed much lower. No earnings, no growth but yet here we are at new highs lol. Who cares Keep buying. The market is never going down lol. You can’t put money in the bank, interest sucks and the fed keeps pouring money into stocks. Not to mention low interest rates. So who”s going to stop the pumping lol  

And I have no problem buying stocks that have potential and are being bid up for no reason, other then hype. But keep in mind, there were a lot of names that stated out just like that and are now household names. The market always looks ahead. Let’s not forget that. I remember when everyone hated UBER, CHWY, RUKU, DUCU  ect, . Now look at these names. New highs and most of those were less then 20% institutional owned and are now at 80% plus.  Everyone has an opinion and that’s what makes a market. My advice us don’t listen to what people tell you, especially on boards and chats. Buy stocks on your own merits and do your own homework.  If you a like a stock by all means buy it.

Don’t let us persuade you or talk you out an investment.  I for one think stocks like PLUG have a place in this market and have a bright future. New energy, clean energy and green hydrogen is here to stay. Biden will make sue of that. I have no doubt about that. But you just have to be careful is all.  The market will price these right once they figure out there true value. But the ones doubting them don’t look at the growth and all the positive deals they have been signing like billion dollar deals with Renault and SK group and many other fortune 100 companies.  And that’s just my opinion. In no way am I saying it’s the next Tesla lol. We should encourage people when  they buy stocks, and are excited about a name or names. I love seeing all the enthusiasm lol. Keep it up and have fun.  After all that’s what we’re all here for. 
I get the feeling this thread flared up because Ray was coming to my defense. He isn't on the forum all that often and I'm not sure he realizes we enjoy good natured sparring on this particular thread. Most of the regulars on this thread do mix up the ports as Kblake implied. We really can't see each others ports. Most of my port is in fact conservative, but over the past 3-6 months I've ran with some Momo. ROKU, FSLY, JMIA, some gun stocks, the renewables stocks, and a few tiny tickers I don't even recall at the moment. I don't think I have lost money on anything speculative in quite some time. The market is "risk on" and has been for basically 10 months. A chimp could make money. Keeping a few specs in play most all the time is enough for me. I will try some genomics, space etc soon. My accumulation phase is basically complete. I'd be just fine forever with a 3-4% return. I can log off the forums and accomplish that just fine. That sounds kinda boring so I think I will stay here and argue about valuation with whomever cares to discuss it. Smile

Over half of todays high flyers will melt down. This time isn't different. You're only wrong if you are foolish enough to invest most of your port in them exclusively. I don't think the market will crash this year, so it probably will. I don't intend to get destroyed whenever it does come.
(01-24-2021, 09:51 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I get the feeling this thread flared up because Ray was coming to my defense.  He isn't on the forum all that often and I'm not sure he realizes we enjoy good natured sparring on this particular thread.  Most of the regulars on this thread do mix up the ports as Kblake implied.  We really can't see each others ports.  Most of my port is in fact conservative, but over the past 3-6 months I've ran with some Momo.  ROKU, FSLY, JMIA, some gun stocks, the renewables stocks, and a few tiny tickers I don't even recall at the moment.  I don't think I have lost money on anything speculative in quite some time.  The market is "risk on" and has been for basically 10 months.  A chimp could make money.  Keeping a few specs in play most all the time is enough for me.  I will try some genomics, space etc soon.  My accumulation phase is basically complete.  I'd be just fine forever with a 3-4% return.  I can log off the forums and accomplish that just fine.  That sounds kinda boring so I think I will stay here and argue about valuation with whomever cares to discuss it.  Smile

Over half of todays high flyers will melt down.  This time isn't different.  You're only wrong if you are foolish enough to invest most of your port in them exclusively.  I don't think the market will crash this year, so it probably will.  I don't intend to get destroyed whenever it does come.

I think we’re all pissed because Brady is back in the Super Bowl again ?

And I’m selling everything tomorrow because Fenders has me spooked now ?. I’m buying some properties in my area and will rent them out. And a few classic cars. I made enough in this market anyway. Time to enjoy it now before it’s all wiped out when the short sellers come in lol ?
(01-24-2021, 10:06 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 09:51 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I get the feeling this thread flared up because Ray was coming to my defense.  He isn't on the forum all that often and I'm not sure he realizes we enjoy good natured sparring on this particular thread.  Most of the regulars on this thread do mix up the ports as Kblake implied.  We really can't see each others ports.  Most of my port is in fact conservative, but over the past 3-6 months I've ran with some Momo.  ROKU, FSLY, JMIA, some gun stocks, the renewables stocks, and a few tiny tickers I don't even recall at the moment.  I don't think I have lost money on anything speculative in quite some time.  The market is "risk on" and has been for basically 10 months.  A chimp could make money.  Keeping a few specs in play most all the time is enough for me.  I will try some genomics, space etc soon.  My accumulation phase is basically complete.  I'd be just fine forever with a 3-4% return.  I can log off the forums and accomplish that just fine.  That sounds kinda boring so I think I will stay here and argue about valuation with whomever cares to discuss it.  Smile

Over half of todays high flyers will melt down.  This time isn't different.  You're only wrong if you are foolish enough to invest most of your port in them exclusively.  I don't think the market will crash this year, so it probably will.  I don't intend to get destroyed whenever it does come.

I think we’re all pissed because Brady is back in the Super Bowl again ?

And I’m selling everything tomorrow because Fenders has me spooked now ?. I’m buying some properties in my area and will rent them out. And a few classic cars. I made enough in this market anyway. Time to enjoy it now before it’s all wiped out when the short sellers come in lol ?
LOL, I've slowly come to terms with the fact Brady will probably be the GOAT for the rest of my life.  Mahomes is special but he has to stay healthy for a longtime.  I just sold my rental so real estate is probably going to boom soon.  Go in like you mean it lol.    

Jokes aside, I hope we all keep making money.  You guys keep doing what you do.  Now and then I'll jump in and get me some.  I will probably sell too early like always lol.   

VBINs comment earlier comment is true in my world.  Two of my friends started investing in specs the past six months.  One of them subscribes to a newsletter and he is killing it with real money.  The other a truly clueless noob with a Webull account.  He sends me 50 cent tickers and I tell him which ones I think might actually be solvent a year from now.  They make your picks look like blue chips DGIs lol.  I never heard of most of them before but his port is up 257% his first 4 months.  Man this investing thing is too easy lol.  It's still not as widespread as 1999 but we are heading there.  Losing a couple K in a Robinhood account won't ruin people.  I do think it's good you can't go overly nuts in most 401Ks though.  The public losing faith really stretches out a bear market.
One thing I try to make clear when I post is what my intent is with my trades. When I say I'm making the move in my trading portfolio that is my more speculative portfolio which only represents about 6% of my net worth.

My public DGI portfolio is rarely traded and contains less speculative positions.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha