Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Selling a few puts today. RTX at 66.5 and 67 strike FEB 5. Premiums are good. I'll keep surrounding my long position with puts and calls until it stops working.

Decided TXRH would be my restaurant to hold long. Traded the heck out of restaurants for months off the initial Covid dip. Should have just held but hindsight is 20/20. Sold a FEB strike 75 for $235. I'll take my wife to Texas Roadhouse three times with the options proceeds while I wait to get exercised. Smile If it drops for real I am adding it to my growthy port too. Still looking for another restaurant.
(01-21-2021, 12:41 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:39 AM)EricL Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:34 AM)divmenow Wrote: F and GM breaking out. Who would have thought lol

I added CGC and UPS

Can someone please explain this EV hype train to me?

F & GM makes little money on every car sold, they make up for it with profits from their pickup truck sales.

The auto business is a highly cyclical, highly competitive, and low margin business.

Why will that still not be the case with EV's? Are they magically more profitable for car makers than ICE cars are?
Most are notprofitablle yet. Investors today are buying EV stocks in expectation of future profitability as the world's auto fleet transitions away from fossil fuels. Excitement in the sector isn't necessarily unfounded. Electric vehicles really are a growth market.
"When it comes to renewable energy, this is not something that happens years in the future. It's happening today," Already, about one in 40 new cars is electric. But that number grows every year, and 20% or more of all new car sales will likely be electric by 2030.

So the growth is real and I believe we are getting in at the ground level here. Not to mention Biden is in favor of this sector. So the president is in their corner. 

They are a ton of names to buy in this industry, but like all industries you have to be selective. 
I agree with your EV growth thesis but I think the ground level was 75% ago.  It takes some creative financial mental gymnastics to think todays prices are cheap for most of the EV names.  (Eric already explained why).
(01-21-2021, 11:33 AM)vbin Wrote: Added LMT
I am going to keep nibbling but very slowly.  It will likely take some patience but the highest quality defense stocks will be fine.  LMT is a core holding for me.  Keep an eye on LHX too.  It is stuck in a trading range but it is a great defense stock as well IMO.  The option premiums are awesome if you want to try that entry/exit game.  Wait for it to dip around 180 before you jump in.
Much like ABNB, I would be very interested to grab some Rivian shares whenever they IPO. Electric trucks that don't look silly (sorry Cybertruck), and backing from AMZN and F. Suspect they will do well in the space, given the popularity of trucks in the U.S.

Some Rivian prototypes were also featured in the recent Apple TV+ documentary series Long Way Up. Those trucks look good.
(01-21-2021, 12:56 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:34 AM)divmenow Wrote: F and GM breaking out. Who would have thought lol

I added CGC and UPS

F & GM makes little money on every car sold, they make up for it with profits from their pickup truck sales.

The auto business is a highly cyclical, highly competitive, and low margin business.

Why will that still not be the case with EV's? Are they magically more profitable for car makers than ICE cars are?
Most are notprofitablle yet. Investors today are buying EV stocks in expectation of future profitability as the world's auto fleet transitions away from fossil fuels. Excitement in the sector isn't necessarily unfounded. Electric vehicles really are a growth market.
"When it comes to renewable energy, this is not something that happens years in the future. It's happening today," Already, about one in 40 new cars is electric. But that number grows every year, and 20% or more of all new car sales will likely be electric by 2030.

So the growth is real and I believe we are getting in at the ground level here. Not to mention Biden is in favor of this sector. So the president is in their corner. 

They are a ton of names to buy in this industry, but like all industries you have to be selective. 
I agree with your EV growth thesis but I think the ground level was 75% ago.  It takes some creative financial mental gymnastics to think todays prices are cheap for most of the EV names.  (Eric already explained why).

I agree with your points. And even know they have run, they have a long way to go.  Look how much tech has run up. Many of those companies are trading at 50-100 x next earnings and many don't even have earnings. Same with BIO's. Most bios are making - minus 2$ in earnings or worse and yet they still reach high levels. This is not like the old days. The market looks ahead and rewards those companies that have a bright future and are good for the economy. 

EV companies will soon be in the black and these levels there trading at now will look like bargains. I strongly believe that. 

Don't be jealous because you think you missed the boat  Big Grin
(01-21-2021, 01:02 PM)Otter Wrote: Much like ABNB, I would be very interested to grab some Rivian shares whenever they IPO. Electric trucks that don't look silly (sorry Cybertruck), and backing from AMZN and F. Suspect they will do well in the space, given the popularity of trucks in the U.S.

Some Rivian prototypes were also featured in the recent Apple TV+ documentary series Long Way Up. Those trucks look good.

I want to buy one of there R1t trucks. They are sweet looking

IPO release date?
(01-21-2021, 01:05 PM)kblake Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:56 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

I added CGC and UPS

I agree with your points. And even know they have run, they have a long way to go.  Look how much tech has run up. Many of those companies are trading at 50-100 x next earnings and many don't even have earnings. Same with BIO's. Most bios are making - minus 2$ in earnings or worse and yet they still reach high levels. This is not like the old days. The market looks ahead and rewards those companies that have a bright future and are good for the economy. 

EV companies will soon be in the black and these levels there trading at now will look like bargains. I strongly believe that. 

Don't be jealous because you think you missed the boat  Big Grin
I assume that was directed at me but the chat chain is getting long lol.  "In the black" and justifying a valuation are not the same thing a year from now. (or maybe three years from now, who really knows?)

IMO a few will partner up and succeed.  TSLA was the first mover and they will be fine on their own.  What TSLA stock price does in the end who knows.  If they keep disrupting other industries it could go on for a long time.

In the end I agree with Eric.  Autos are the same high volume low margin BIZ they have been for about 100 years.  I don't pretend to know when" in the end is".  It will likely require a lasting recession to find out.
(01-21-2021, 01:11 PM)kblake Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 01:02 PM)Otter Wrote: Much like ABNB, I would be very interested to grab some Rivian shares whenever they IPO. Electric trucks that don't look silly (sorry Cybertruck), and backing from AMZN and F. Suspect they will do well in the space, given the popularity of trucks in the U.S.

I want to buy one of there R1t trucks. They are sweet looking

IPO release date?

The CEO said last November that they were not focused on going public, and they just secured a massive round of funding that puts the company's value around $25 billion. I doubt they will do it this year, but wouldn't be surprised if they go public next year after they start delivering vehicles (if it is a success).
Bought PLUG, and added to FCEL, GEVO, BLDP, APD, UNP, DG, BAC and IBB
In my trading account I sold FRO, NAT, and AMT and trimmed SHAK to open new positions in SEDG and ENPH.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(01-20-2021, 11:29 AM)kblake Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 10:03 AM)EricL Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:59 AM)Otter Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:50 AM)EricL Wrote: In my trading account I trimmed 25% of my DG position and used the proceeds to start a new position in NNDM.

DG is one of those stocks that I really want to own, and never can find what I consider to be a good entry price, as it always seemed overvalued . . . then it keeps going up. 

I guess I have made PLTR my own personal overvalued stock purchase.  Big Grin

I watched DG for a couple years waiting to buy because it was always expensive. Finally bought in August of 2016 and it's gone up 150% since then.

I think the estimates for 2021 are way too low considering the stimulus that just passed and the expected $1400 round to come yet again.

They are building new stores like crazy in every small town in rural America, where there is little competition and population that shops at these types of stores. I think the long-term growth story remains compelling.
DG is not expensive at all trading at 20 x next years earnings.  They keep expanding and growing. Selling DG will be a mistake. I actually just added more under $204. This stock will be $300 and you will wish you held. You sell a great stock for a company like NNDM who just did there 2nd offering  Big Grin

NNDM is up 25% in two days since I bought.

Not a bad start...
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(01-22-2021, 02:42 PM)EricL Wrote: In my trading account I sold FRO, NAT, and AMT and trimmed SHAK to open new positions in SEDG and ENPH.
I was selling ENPH puts in the 115-130 range a few months ago.  Smile  Some deal wth Canadian Solar.  ENPH and SEDG are two of the better renewables picks IMO.  I'll join you if we get a bit of a dip.  If not I'll be cheering for you.   

I am being boring again today.  Trying to get invested as fast as my put options need to be repurchased.  I'm losing the battle and need a dip as deals are getting hard to find if I want to stay diversified.  Sold a new CVS and KO put, bought some more WEC and BTI was the first time.