Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-25-2021, 10:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(03-11-2021, 10:31 AM)EricL Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 10:19 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(03-11-2021, 09:48 AM)EricL Wrote: Made my first pooled dividends purchase this morning, adding one share of HD at $268.50.

That brings it up to a full position in the portfolio.

I'm curious what full position means for you.  I've been thinking about these definitions for myself:

Starter position: ~ $250 (obviously some stocks don't even qualify if 1 share is higher than that)
Junior position: $2,000
Full position: $5,000
Major position: $10,000

My portfolio is worth ~$100,000 and I have 50 positions in the portfolio, which means that a "full" or "equal-weight" position is worth $2,000.

This buy brought my HD position up to $1958, which is close enough to me to consider it full now.

Ah makes sense.  And congrats on the "pooled dividends purchase".  Hopefully I'll be able to join you in making similar purchases in June-ish when my first real dividends start rolling in too.
Added VZ today.
(03-11-2021, 10:46 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

(03-11-2021, 10:31 AM)EricL Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 10:19 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

(03-11-2021, 09:48 AM)EricL Wrote: Made my first pooled dividends purchase this morning, adding one share of HD at $268.50.

That brings it up to a full position in the portfolio.

I'm curious what full position means for you.  I've been thinking about these definitions for myself:

Starter position: ~ $250 (obviously some stocks don't even qualify if 1 share is higher than that)
Junior position: $2,000
Full position: $5,000
Major position: $10,000

My portfolio is worth ~$100,000 and I have 50 positions in the portfolio, which means that a "full" or "equal-weight" position is worth $2,000.

This buy brought my HD position up to $1958, which is close enough to me to consider it full now.

Ah makes sense.  And congrats on the "pooled dividends purchase".  Hopefully I'll be able to join you in making similar purchases in June-ish when my first real dividends start rolling in too.
Some context is helpful when attempting to decipher comments here.  Some of us will tell you via PM now that you've contributed enough to know you aren't here to steal our SS number.  Smile  Some of Eric's portfolios are public so it's no secret.  Even though my port is fairly large, when I say I "nibbled" it really means just that.   I added 2 or five shares and probably just catching a dip on a stock I like.  Maybe only a couple hundred bucks.  If I say "full position", it means I am watching earnings calls and doing DD because I'm not going to be happy at all if it pulls back 25% because I was reckless investing without DD.  A lot of junk stocks get bought on hype with next to no real DD on this thread for recreation.  Never assume it was a big bet just because you read it here. There are folks here that have done considerable DD for a couple share purchase. I'm appreciative that they share.
Added to BTI, it's quickly becoming one of my largest positions.
added to BDX
I had sold some $25 strike PLTR Puts that exercised after the close on Friday, so I guess that qualifies as a recent purchase. Could sell for an 11.5% gain today (after adjusting cost basis for the premium received on the puts), but it is in a taxable account, and I'd rather just hold the shares.
I closed a bunch PLTR puts I had sold that were expiring tomorrow at $25 for 85% profit.

I do have a lot of covered calls sold against my PLTR position expiring in next 2 weeks, don't mind exiting some of it in $26-$30 range.

Started a medium sized position in BTI.
(It took me a while to realize DD means due diligence...)

I now realize everyone's "full position" or "medium position" is different. Eric is (presumably) trying to balance all 50 equities in his portfolio equally. I'm going for a mix of small/medium/major positions that will result in a hockey stick like distribution.
What happened to telecoms? Dropping, thinking to sell T puts.
(03-11-2021, 03:03 PM)vbin Wrote: What happened to telecoms? Dropping, thinking to sell T puts.

Low growth, high capex companies don't stand to gain as much, comparative to other companies, from the Covid relief bill.
VBIN, T is in my dog stock rotation for selling puts, but IMO it's at the wrong end of it's trading range for best results. I prefer to do that when the SP is 28ish or less. Push your luck with a near the money strike for better premium, and hopefully pick an expiration that gets you assigned close to the EX-Div. If the VIX isn't high you don't get a good enough premium from T to make it worth getting sucked into shares near 30. As Otter said there is no catalyst. The heavy debt may hold it back if rates rise. If it drops on you up here you won't likely want the shares, and then capital is tied up if you decide to roll it lower for little more premium and a truly attractive entry.

I'm not seeing many new candidates for the "safe strategy" at the moment. You know I love to sell puts but I try not to force a trade that isn't there. I've seen how that movie ends at some point. You own a bunch of shares at a not so great price. I try to never have many unattractive trades open at once when the story changes and you know it will a few times a year.
(03-11-2021, 01:44 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: (It took me a while to realize DD means due diligence...)

I now realize everyone's "full position" or "medium position" is different.  Eric is (presumably) trying to balance all 50 equities in his portfolio equally.  I'm going for a mix of small/medium/major positions that will result in a hockey stick like distribution.
That's what most do.  Some core positions we have the most faith in, and smaller positions to build when/if the time is right.  Eric may target smaller holdings with his pooled dividends, but I'm sure the goal isn't 50 equal sized positions.  It wouldn't stay that way for long if you tried.