Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-09-2021, 08:13 PM)stockguru Wrote: Anyone getting in on the Bumble IPO?  I just participated in in. Hope I'm approved lol

I normally don't participate in IPO's. But this one I like lol

The last IPO I took part in was SHAK

Interesting, I might just try it.  I've never been involved in an IPO before, though sometimes a company I've owned has spun off a division which resulted in a new symbol showing up in my portfolio.
Cannabis cannabis look at them go lol

The market is officially on a high ?
Has anyone made the effort to run their picks (from past or stock they own) through Portfolio Visualizer to see what they really did?

I have, often, and it isn't that pretty. Some runaway winners, many flat-poor returns, and some dogs.

The bulk of my portfolio is in ETF based timing models (convertible bond fund especially) that blow my DGI returns away and have better risk metrics. I may be selling many individual names and going more heavily to that route.
(05-07-2020, 11:15 AM)kblake Wrote: bought WFC, GD, FRT, MO, PM and BRK.B

I'm still holding 48% cash for other opportunities

(02-10-2021, 08:19 AM)NilesMike Wrote: Has anyone made the effort to run their picks (from past or stock they own) through Portfolio Visualizer to see what they really did?

I have, often, and it isn't that pretty. Some runaway winners, many flat-poor returns, and some dogs.

The bulk of my portfolio is in ETF based timing models (convertible bond fund especially) that blow my DGI returns away and have better risk metrics. I may be selling many individual names and going more heavily to that route.
I have but its difficult to not view everything through 10yr bull market goggles now.  Not to mention we are not pandemic safe yet. Second problem is compared to what benchmark?  I have three different strategies running.  My port overall has far less risk than the SP500 and matches or exceeds
it when the market is not on fire.  Risk/Reward is important to me so I guess I am saying I am content.
Sold TLRY and APHA in the pre-market

Kept 25 TLRY in case they run it up to $200

I just bought TLRY at $24 last week and sold it at $68 and APHA from $17.89 to $30 lol

Market is nuts. I feel one day it will be down 2000 points Wink

I will put those proceeds in LMT and LHX
(02-09-2021, 08:13 PM)stockguru Wrote: Anyone getting in on the Bumble IPO?  I just participated in in. Hope I'm approved lol

How do you get involved (participate) in an IPO before it hits the market ?
(02-10-2021, 09:30 AM)stockguru Wrote: Sold TLRY and APHA in the pre-market

I just bought TLRY at $24 last week and sold it at $68 and APHA from $17.89 to $30 lol

I right there with you. I sold out a lot of the pot stocks as well in  the pre-market. Kept the pure players. These things are coming in way too hot  Big Grin

I out some of the proceeds into LMT, PG, and APD

How about that HRVOF  Tongue . Its now at .27 cents. Up from .08 cents where I bought and the ones who listened to me. Who's says you cant make it big with penny stocks  Big Grin

I just looked at TLRY and APHA and I'm stunned.  Out of nowhere, they are shooting into orbit.  Combine this with the madness I'm seeing on SHOP (Shopify) and a few others, and I have to say I agree the market is out of control.

Should we all get into cash for a bit (damn the tax implications)?
(02-10-2021, 10:08 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

I just looked at TLRY and APHA and I'm stunned.  Out of nowhere, they are shooting into orbit.  Combine this with the madness I'm seeing on SHOP (Shopify) and a few others, and I have to say I agree the market is out of control.

Should we all get into cash for a bit (damn the tax implications)?

I'm not concerned until I see a sign that central banks intend to reduce the money supply, or otherwise slow the velocity of existing money through the system. Presently, all signals point in the opposite direction. 

Bubbles will no doubt get inflated, but that has happened pretty regularly since 2008. "Taper tantrums" happen when the spigot gets tightened. 

Granted, other than a 12-hour foray into GME, and my ABNB/PLTR positions, I'm not chasing these high/no P/E bubblers.
The real speculative plays are up hugely, once again. It's ridiculous but I guess there simply is so much money flowing into speculatives right now that there is just no other direction than up. It'll end sooner or later.

And yes, amazing jump for HRVOF! Another super quality pick!
Seeing what happened when the Fed announced they were turning on the spigot in a big way in March, 2020 (and kept opening it up throughout the year), I wonder if the "Crash of 29" would even merit a mention in history textbooks if the Fed had pursued similar interventionist expansionary monetary policy back then (would have been orders of magnitude more difficult, because of the Gold Standard).

On some metrics (employment), we touched/exceeded the worst of the Great Depression when lockdowns first went into effect, but a doubling of the Fed balance sheet saw the S&P 500 total return increase ~16% over all-time highs in 2020.
(02-09-2021, 09:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

Interesting, I might just try it.  I've never been involved in an IPO before, though sometimes a company I've owned has spun off a division which resulted in a new symbol showing up in my portfolio.

(02-10-2021, 09:51 AM)saimash Wrote:

How do you get involved (participate) in an IPO before it hits the market 
Generally speaking have an account and some history or big balance with a major Wall Street broker.  It's a perk.  If you are going full on budget I pay no fees ever then you buy with the crowd on the opening spike if it's a decent IPO.  There is definitely a pecking order in how they allocate shares.