Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I increased my MSFT holding by 14% today. At this point I'm done buying it for the foreseeable future.

Adding to DOW and initiating WDR were the other frontrunners for this round of purchase considerations but I understand MSFT the most and right now they're crushing it.

KMP dividend ( and others ) coming on Friday so probably another purchase next week.
(11-12-2014, 12:27 PM)rapidacid Wrote: I increased my MSFT holding by 14% today. At this point I'm done buying it for the foreseeable future.

Adding to DOW and initiating WDR were the other frontrunners for this round of purchase considerations but I understand MSFT the most and right now they're crushing it.

KMP dividend ( and others ) coming on Friday so probably another purchase next week.

Trying to find room for DOW as well. Hoping it doesn't run away from me before I have funds available to buy it. Been watching it from the sidelines for too long and today's announced dividend hike and large buyback is enough to get me moving.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(11-12-2014, 12:30 PM)EricL Wrote: Trying to find room for DOW as well. Hoping it doesn't run away from me before I have funds available to buy it. Been watching it from the sidelines for too long and today's announced dividend hike and large buyback is enough to get me moving.

Eric, what gave me pause regarding DOW was their periods of dividend increase stagnation : http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/dow/dividend-history

7 quarters in 2012-2013 no increase
9 quarters in 2009-2011 no increase
7 quarters in 2007-2008 no increase

It gets even spottier when you go further back.

I know Loeb has lit a fire under them recently but there were too many questions there ... I have a position and I'm happy with it but obviously here is a great accumulation point as well

[Image: TWLfAgv.png]
rapidacid,

That is a good point, this has been a fairly cyclical stock over the years, and looking at the long term chart an investor would be buying near all-time highs rather than lows.

However, I do like what the company has been doing in spending cap-ex to take advantage of cheap U.S. chemical feedstock and their recent paying down of debt. Now they are aggressively buying back shares and boosting the dividend.

I'd place it more of a spec play for capital gains than a long term buy and hold S.W.A.N. investment.
I increased my holdings in HP by 24% today.
(11-13-2014, 02:19 PM)rapidacid Wrote: I increased my holdings in HP by 24% today.

Nice buy. Don't own them myself but have to like a company with their track record with no debt and a 3.5% yield. They are a Dividend Champion with a 42 year streak of dividend increases and you are getting it at what may be a historically high yield point.
(11-13-2014, 02:19 PM)rapidacid Wrote: I increased my holdings in HP by 24% today.

GMTA. I wrote it in my portfolio thread ... I too added. Management is still pretty confident going forward.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Initiated a partial position in IBM today. Topped off CVX also today for a full position.
I started selling put on it, see if I can get some shares or "special dividend" instead.
[Image: fcUN27A.jpg]
I initiated a position in Magna International Inc (MGA) (MG.TO). For those unfamiliar, its an automotive parts company. Starting yield 1.46%, 5-yr DGR 15.2%, payout ratio 18.5%.

I have a more detailed post on my blog on the reasons for buying
Looks super solid Roadmap ... thanks for the introduction, never heard of them lol ...

I say that a lot with the <2% yielders ... today I also found TJX which has one of the sexiest charts + fundamentals I've ever seen ...

Pete