Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(01-04-2021, 10:51 AM)Otter Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 10:47 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 10:39 AM)Otter Wrote: Also, returning to the theme of BABA, looks like Jack Ma has either been disappeared or sent for reeducation. China, like other dictatorships, is not investible.

If the CEO of a Fortune Global 500 company can just be disappeared, imagine how low on the priorities list protecting shareholder value is...

I was sad when I dumped my accidental purchase or 220 shares Christmas eve for a quick $440 and the stock ran 10+ higher next trading day.  I still own 6 shares of BABA in my growthy port and it's down $25.  I think I'll sit quietly and hold for the moment.  Not a chance I am holding a large position in a China stock longer than a couple hours. Smile  Still a good spec. Best chance for real large cap growth on the planet this year.

Should have referred to Ma as "retired," but I stand by my post.

The performance of BABA this year depends entirely upon the whims of Xi, which I don't have any special insight into. If he decides that destroying BABA (parting it out to competitors with CEOs who are sufficiently loyal, or just salting the earth and destroying it entirely) is the move that most enhances his power, and makes it less likely that any other upstart will dare challenge him, it's not like there is anything to stop him. There are no checks and balances, and no separation of state from market there.
It's exactly why BABA and the few similar US stocks trade at a different valuations, and never will.  I am confident they won't do away with BABA, but there may be many cards to be played soon by the gov.  I am comfortable with my small position over time, but I would need a big dip to get to make it a real position. Gotta get paid properly for the risk, as always.
Added BA, GD, LMT, MO, KRMD, STWD, AMRX. sold PLTR covered calls in trading account.

Added small numbers in M, SAVE, HD, CRSP.
Added more AAPL, NEE and PEP
Finally the market is having a down day! Bought a bit of ARKG. Sold a way out of the money call on HD. Hope to make more purchases this week. Likely politics is what has the market nervous.
Get ready for a 20% correction. It will be a sea of red for months. Get ready for the nightmare especially when Georgia wins and the DEMS gain control. Trump screwed up and I was a big supporter of his until now lol. And No I am not headed to the other side. I just see how it is and its quite frustrating to see how things on both sides are shaping up. . I wont get into politics but its getting crazy now. I miss the 80's when technology and social media didn't exist lol

I'm selling everything and buying CD's lol

And I see there's another follower of ARKG. Its a cult don't you know that hahahahaha
(01-04-2021, 12:16 PM)divmenow Wrote: Get ready for a 20% correction. It will be a sea of red for months. Get ready for the nightmare especially when Georgia wins and the DEMS gain control.  Trump screwed up and I was a big supporter of his until now lol. And No I am not headed to the other side. I just see how it is and its quite frustrating to see how things on both sides are shaping up. .  I wont get into politics but its getting crazy now. I miss the 80's when technology and social media didn't exist lol

And I see there's another follower of ARKG. Its a cult don't you know that hahahahaha

I think you may be right on Georgia and the market. I'm looking for a big correction as well. All these young investors are looking for the quick buck and tech and all these other high priced stocks are on nose bleed sections and need to come down. No one has a long term view anymore. Its all about the quick buck. They all follow the money, and they don't know what a correction is. You will see stop losses taken out.

I did the same and bought stocks on hype. ARKG is one of those. When you look at those holdings. When the Nasdaq crashes this fund will lose 15-20% percent. And we all know what went up big doesn't guarantee you the same success the following year. I'm not just singling out ARKG. Its a huge list of over valued ETF's and stocks. CRWD, ETSY, SNAP. I own all those names like CRSP, BEAM, EDIT, NVTA and PACB. SO will be averaging more if they crater lol

I feel once the pandemic is over people wont be home to trade this market. The volume will dry up. And once we go back to to norm all these hyped stocks will be no more and the names we all know will out perform them.
(01-04-2021, 12:16 PM)divmenow Wrote: Get ready for a 20% correction. It will be a sea of red for months. Get ready for the nightmare especially when Georgia wins and the DEMS gain control.  Trump screwed up and I was a big supporter of his until now lol. And No I am not headed to the other side. I just see how it is and its quite frustrating to see how things on both sides are shaping up. .  I wont get into politics but its getting crazy now. I miss the 80's when technology and social media didn't exist lol

I doubt it. Assuming that scenario, where any legislation would require all 50 Dem senators, plus a tie-breaker vote from the VP, contentious regulatory legislation won't be feasible. Only broadly popular measures like stimulus, reauthorizing the Fed to pour money into the system through various programs, and infrastructure projects seem likely in that scenario. Seems like it would be a replay of 2020, where stimulus and monetary expansion inflate asset prices.

Just waiting for you to tell me to go in with large bills lol.  I'll kep nibbling for now.  I talk to family in healthcare but I can't possibly understand the value of the Med tech.  I'll be living in a cardboard box if I try to choose individual genomics stocks lol.
(01-04-2021, 12:31 PM)stockguru Wrote:

I think you may be right on Georgia and the market. I'm looking for a big correction as well. All these young investors are looking for the quick buck and tech and all these other high priced stocks are on nose bleed sections and need to come down. No one has a long term view anymore. Its all about the quick buck. They all follow the money, and they don't know what a correction is. You will see stop losses taken out.

I did the same and bought stocks on hype. ARKG is one of those. When you look at those holdings. When the Nasdaq crashes this fund will lose 15-20% percent. And we all know what went up big doesn't guarantee you the same success the following year. I'm not just singling out ARKG. Its a huge list of over valued ETF's and stocks. CRWD, ETSY, SNAP. I own all those names like CRSP, BEAM, EDIT, NVTA and PACB. SO will be averaging more if they crater lol

I feel once the pandemic is over people wont be home to trade this market. The volume will dry up. And once we go back to to norm all these hyped stocks will be no more and the names we all know will out perform them.
There is going to be a reckoning on these MOMO stocks.  Don't miss the last 20% ride. Pretty sure this is gambling lol. I've been carefully playing options with the GA date in mind. I'm still pretty sure REPs retain Senate control but it's likely close. The presidential stuff is pure noise. There is not an ice cube's chance in hell the election is overturned but 40% of the voters refuse to let the dream die.
Under the Dems take Georgia scenario, the legislative filibuster also remains in place (there aren't 50 votes to change it at the start of the new Senate term). So, absent reconciliation, which can't be used in a way that increases the deficit, nothing gets done without 60 votes. The Dems barely scraped together 60 votes to pass the Affordable Care Act in 2009, and only after removing contentious pieces of the House Bill, like a public option.

House majority is much narrower than it was in the last Congress, as well. No one on the House/Senate side is going to want to stick their neck out on anything contentious like Cap and Trade, financial services regulations, etc., when a single Senator (King, Manchin, Tester) can sink the bill, and nothing like that can get to 60 votes in the Senate. Pork (mainly via defense bills) will be the only item on the menu.
(01-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Otter Wrote: Under the Dems take Georgia scenario, the legislative filibuster also remains in place (there aren't 50 votes to change it at the start of the new Senate term). So, absent reconciliation, which can't be used in a way that increases the deficit, nothing gets done without 60 votes. The Dems barely scraped together 60 votes to pass the Affordable Care Act in 2009, and only after removing contentious pieces of the House Bill, like a public option.

House majority is much narrower than it was in the last Congress, as well. No one on the House/Senate side is going to want to stick their neck out on anything contentious like Cap and Trade, financial services regulations, etc., when a single Senator (King, Manchin, Tester) can sink the bill, and nothing like that can get to 60 votes in the Senate. Pork (mainly via defense bills) will be the only item on the menu.
Assured gridlock and the market like that.  Some of my REP friends actually cashed out of the market when it became apparent Biden won because a DEM Prez will surely cause a market crash.  Yeah that's not been my experience the past 35 years or so.  If you can't make money with either party in charge you better school yourself up on how this works.
(01-04-2021, 01:02 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Otter Wrote: Under the Dems take Georgia scenario, the legislative filibuster also remains in place (there aren't 50 votes to change it at the start of the new Senate term). So, absent reconciliation, which can't be used in a way that increases the deficit, nothing gets done without 60 votes. The Dems barely scraped together 60 votes to pass the Affordable Care Act in 2009, and only after removing contentious pieces of the House Bill, like a public option.

Assured gridlock and the market like that.  Some of my REP friends actually cashed out of the market when it became apparent Biden won because a DEM Prez will surely cause a market crash.  Yeah that's not been my experience the past 35 years or so.  If you can't make money with either party in charge you better school yourself up on how this works.

Hopefully defense contractors like LMT keep getting taken to the woodshed. I'd like to add more shares. Only went up 400% during Obama's 8 year term.