Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(12-24-2020, 10:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 10:41 AM)Otter Wrote: Deployed some 401k rollover funds today and bought equal portions in the IRA of BKH, BMY, CAH, CSCO, ED, FLIC, GILD, HII, IBM, INTC,  LMT, MMM, MRK, PFE, PPL, SPTN, T, VZ, WBA, WEYS, and XLE, then sold covered calls (Mid/Late January 2021 expiry) against most of the positions.

Hoping for some downwards price action on ABNB to add more shares there.

Busy day for you.  I like most of that except INTC.  That train wreck may be searching for a bottom for a good while.  Owned INTC for a decades but they better execute right very soon as that sector is not forgiving.

Apple's M1 chip is a serious threat on the consumer side. INTC is basically a defense contractor, though. National security infrastructure has too much riding on them to allow it to fail. Reminds me of when QCOM was in the $60s last year.
(12-24-2020, 11:46 AM)Otter Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 10:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 10:41 AM)Otter Wrote: Deployed some 401k rollover funds today and bought equal portions in the IRA of BKH, BMY, CAH, CSCO, ED, FLIC, GILD, HII, IBM, INTC,  LMT, MMM, MRK, PFE, PPL, SPTN, T, VZ, WBA, WEYS, and XLE, then sold covered calls (Mid/Late January 2021 expiry) against most of the positions.

Hoping for some downwards price action on ABNB to add more shares there.

Busy day for you.  I like most of that except INTC.  That train wreck may be searching for a bottom for a good while.  Owned INTC for a decades but they better execute right very soon as that sector is not forgiving.

Apple's M1 chip is a serious threat on the consumer side. INTC is basically a defense contractor, though. National security infrastructure has too much riding on them to allow it to fail. Reminds me of when QCOM was in the $60s last year.
INTC not going out of business but what a mess and it seems mostly self inflicted.  I remember telling people on the net nobody ever sold INTC and was glad they did a year later and that was true then.  If INTC dips harder with an overall market crash I'll be selling puts again.  They have messed up bad and may find a bottom in the next few quarters.
Bought some BABA at $212. Will add more if it goes below $200 lol.

Also added some small caps today. There’s some high growth there. I won’t list symbols until end of the day as I may add more names before 1 pm lol
Added literally 2 shares of BABA and 1 AMZN Smile

For dividend paying stocks, I added a tiny bit of BMY, UNH, AVGO, LMT & O earlier this week. Happy holidays!
(12-24-2020, 11:38 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 11:12 AM)MikeWa Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 10:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Tried to add 2 shares of BABA to my growthy port I am slowly building.  My typing skills need improvement or I better start proof-reading before I hit confirm.  Second time I have done that the past month or so.  I just bought 220 more shares of BABA and I'm thinking its not gonna run higher today..... lol not. Wish me luck while I try to get a nastygram from Waterhouse for daytrading.  If this ends bad I'll just go buy some Fireball for Christmas Eve.  Smile   My largest individual position size record has just been shattered by accident.  Sad

Ouch! Nice Christmas gift!
I hope it turns around for you soon, so you can sell 218 shares, hopefully with profit. I have my wife review my larger orders for me for exactly that reason :-)

Merry Christmas!
I am going to have to ignore it and be as patient as necessary.  BABA is Chinese Amazon.  They are indeed  monopolistic and they are also a China bluechip so they won't be ruined by government action any more than our FANG stocks.  Just have to wait for it to settle out.  Exactly the reason why I haven't jumped into more shares of FB, AMZN and GOOGL lately.  They will get more heat as well.

Looks like you can sell today and make some nice profit.
Jack Ma is bad mouthing the same govt who helped him build the empire. What happens if they decide to set an example out of it for others. From what I know is it's pretty serious. Not going away any time soon. Started before ANT IPO.
Sold some 1/22/21 ABNB Puts with 120 strike.
(12-24-2020, 12:57 PM)vbin Wrote: Jack Ma is bad mouthing the same govt who helped him build the empire. What happens if they decide to set an example out of it for others. From what I know is it's pretty serious. Not going away any time soon. Started before ANT IPO.

Criticizing Xi is not a good plan for staying in business in China. I don't think BABA is anything other than a pure gamble at this point. Xi has shown that he will do whatever it takes to maximize his power. Allowing a CEO to challenge his power is personally dangerous for Xi, and cannot be tolerated. He will set out to destroy Ma. Whether that results in the destruction of BABA is a guess at this point. 

Plenty of precedent for this in other dictatorships. More than one Russian oligarch who found himself on the wrong side of Putin found himself dead/exiled/company parted out to other oligarchs.
(12-24-2020, 12:51 PM)MikeWa Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 11:38 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 11:12 AM)MikeWa Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 10:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Tried to add 2 shares of BABA to my growthy port I am slowly building.  My typing skills need improvement or I better start proof-reading before I hit confirm.  Second time I have done that the past month or so.  I just bought 220 more shares of BABA and I'm thinking its not gonna run higher today..... lol not. Wish me luck while I try to get a nastygram from Waterhouse for daytrading.  If this ends bad I'll just go buy some Fireball for Christmas Eve.  Smile   My largest individual position size record has just been shattered by accident.  Sad

Ouch! Nice Christmas gift!
I hope it turns around for you soon, so you can sell 218 shares, hopefully with profit. I have my wife review my larger orders for me for exactly that reason :-)

Merry Christmas!
I am going to have to ignore it and be as patient as necessary.  BABA is Chinese Amazon.  They are indeed  monopolistic and they are also a China bluechip so they won't be ruined by government action any more than our FANG stocks.  Just have to wait for it to settle out.  Exactly the reason why I haven't jumped into more shares of FB, AMZN and GOOGL lately.  They will get more heat as well.

Looks like you can sell today and make some nice profit.
Put a sell order in at 222 and went to town to finish my Christmas shopping.  It executed.  That makes me lucky, not smart.  I made $440 off my foolishness. BABA may very well be 250 soon but I am not looking back.  I'd buy more on a further dip but a $50K investment in a company fighting with the CCCP is a not where I should be.  A couple shares at a time as it dips is MUCH more appropriate for my retirement plan. I am back to 6 shares and those are underwater.

Merry Christmas to all my friends here.  See you Friday.
Added some small caps to my portfolio last week- My portfolio was only about 3% weighted. Needed to up that lol

ORA, BR, FIVE, CWEN, APTV, OPI, WTRG and ELY

Sold IVZ after a double
Bought NNN and PBCT this morning, and sold calls against the positions.
What are people planning on buying with their 2021 IRA contributions?  I'm still undecided.
  • In my Roth I've been experimenting with higher yield (PCI, T, etc.).  I'm thinking about something like QYLD.
  • In my wife's Roth, I usually buy the best value/quality DGI stock I can.  Nothing is jumping out at me, might buy into a DGI ETF (for now).
Unrelated... Bought a few more shares of BABA.  I've been working on a small position on the recent drops.  I know it's not DGI, but I've seen people here talking about it.

Paul