Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(10-21-2020, 12:28 PM)kblake Wrote: Sold some Oct 30th $25 puts on T. They will miss once again on earnings

Added some AMZN, AAPL, SRE and LMT

They have beat earnings three of last four.  Did miss by a penny in Q1 though.  That doesn't matter though.  The problem is flat growth and the market is clearly expecting a rough quarter this time.  I have put sales scattered over the next two months. At least half of them have been rolled down already.
I will join you guys on the T put sales after the earnings if it doesn't jump. (did I just acknowledge that T could do that, at least in theory?)
(10-21-2020, 01:01 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I will join you guys on the T put sales after the earnings if it doesn't jump. (did I just acknowledge that T could do that, at least in theory?)

T will find a bottom, whether soon, or at 22 lol.  I doubt anyone expects anything amazing to cause it to jump.  The ridiculous dividend is not in danger and that saves us eventually.  That's my thesis anyway.  Big Grin
(10-21-2020, 01:19 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 01:01 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I will join you guys on the T put sales after the earnings if it doesn't jump. (did I just acknowledge that T could do that, at least in theory?)

T will find a bottom, whether soon, or at 22 lol.  I doubt anyone expects anything amazing to cause it to jump.  The ridiculous dividend is not in danger and that saves us eventually.  That's my thesis anyway.  Big Grin

I do agree with your thesis. I've often bought T around $28, so might be time to buy a bit more now too. But I do want to see that earnings report before I make any moves.
(10-21-2020, 01:35 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:

I do agree with your thesis. I've often bought T around $28, so might be time to buy a bit more now too. But I do want to see that earnings report before I make any moves.
You better pray that dividend is safe. I think they should cut it to pay off that debt. That 7.8 yield is a value trap. The dividend means nothing when the stick keeps going down. All those who bought in at $30 have to wait 2 years to break even if the stock stays at these levels ?
(10-21-2020, 01:47 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 01:35 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:

You better pray that dividend is safe. I think they should cut it to pay off that debt. That 7.8 yield is a value trap. The dividend means nothing when the stick keeps going down. All those who bought in at $30 have to wait 2 years to break even if the stock stays at these levels ?
They have been paying off their debt at a good clip.  If they would stop making stupid acquisitions this would be easier for them lol.  T is still a very reliable free cash flow generator, and little else lately.  It's nothing but an income game for me.  I collect 3 or 6 put premiums most every month.  If they don't expire worthless I roll them down to a lower strike and collect a tiny additional premium.  Once in awhile I allow myself to be assigned some shares and collect a few dividends while I wait for a chance to sell covered calls.  Option premiums crush the dividend yield so I try to dodge owning too many shares at any given time.  T is probably my third best income generator.  Works about the same with T and KO.  Boring = reliable monthly income if you learn how to do it.  I buy cool stuff with the income.  I see no reason to DRIP stocks like T because I only want to buy when its real cheap.  We are at a place where I am willing to just buy a few shares long now, but I'm not going crazy.  Put premiums are much easier money.  Understanding dividend safety is not optional.
Well T is up $1.60. Time to take profits lol

I added 2 new names today. CNI and TSCO
(10-22-2020, 08:51 AM)kblake Wrote: Well T is up $1.60. Time to take profits lol

I added 2 new names today. CNI and TSCO

I love it when we get lucky lol.  I'm not expecting T to run far but the bleeding should be under control for now  That was a decent quarter.

Sold a few new VSTO puts. Trying to get assigned in this name. A spec I'd like to hold.
Added TSCO, ABBV, DG and IIPR.

I'm sticking to my theme on what will work going into 2021

GILD on my watch list. I have never been a fan, but at these prices may be worth the risk.

I sold out of the rest of DFS, MRTX and trimmed some ROP as well as some utilities that were getting over extended
Added to T and MA, smaller purchases.
Added to HON and JNJ
Getting a chance to add starter positions to my new growthy port. I am still moving very slow though. I believe there is a good chance we'll get some chop in the coming weeks. Perfect for those of us still accumulating. Trying to keep some powder dry though. Sold a few puts that expire soon in staples like KO and PEP. Thnking hard about a V put as I'm underweight Fintech and there is no good reason for that.