Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Good day to have after-hours trading capability. I don't in my IRA account. Hope you are right about $70. I'll likely add some there if it happens.
(07-06-2020, 10:39 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Good day to have after-hours trading capability.  I don't in my IRA account.  Hope you are right about $70. I'll likely add some there if it happens.
Looks like $70 may happen. It’s down almost $7. So glad I dumped it, but will be happy to jump right back in if they keep taking it down lol
(07-06-2020, 10:41 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:39 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Good day to have after-hours trading capability.  I don't in my IRA account.  Hope you are right about $70. I'll likely add some there if it happens.
Looks like $70 may happen. It’s down almost $7. So glad I dumped it, but will be happy to jump right back in if they keep taking it down lol
It's just turning into a normal regulated utility.  The market will do what it does for now.  I've traded it many times and got lucky my position is small at the moment.  That was blind luck.
(07-06-2020, 10:46 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
It's just turning into a normal regulated utility.  The market will do what it does for now.  I've traded it many times and got lucky my position is small at the moment.  That was blind luck.
A lot of it is everyone wants tech. The rest of the market is being shorted. If you can’t short tech you mine as well short companies like D lol.  AMZN now at 3k. You should have held onto that one Fenders  lol. SQ up $14 today. Got to love this market lol
(07-06-2020, 10:55 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:46 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
A lot of it is everyone wants tech. The rest of the market is being shorted. If you can’t short tech you mine as well short companies like D lol.  AMZN now at 3k. You should have held onto that one Fenders  lol. SQ up $14 today. Got to love this market lol

Tech is crazy Smile   I dumped my AMZN over a month ago.  Sold some QQQ puts last month.  I bought the last one back today for next to free.  I'm pretty much tech free right now so I'll have to hope for a correction.
D is down $9 now. That's a bit extreme isn't it lol

I added a new position in SYY this morning.
(07-06-2020, 11:19 AM)stockguru Wrote: D is down $9 now. That's a bit extreme isn't it lol

Maybe a bit; but keep this is mind. Since D cut their dividend, [color=#26282a]To yield 4%, it would need to get to 62.50. So it may have more downside. As I said yesterday it was a sell. I expected it down $5-6 but not $9. Investors are telling you they hate the news.  It's dead money now.  Better opportunities out there in the sector now. 

I'm curious to hear if Eric got out of D and where he put the proceeds??
(07-01-2020, 02:54 PM)fenders53 Wrote: They will fall hard but who knows from what height. It really is getting similar to 1999. Regretfully I've held very little tech outside my SPY mutual funds for the past few years. The index will not save you when the big boys eventually correct. I sold some QQQ puts a few weeks ago which were almost instantly profitable. That worked out fine but I know I am tempting fate if I make a real bet. Valuation will matter in the end. The PEG ratio's well above 2.0 for the large caps are what alarm me most, not so much the market CAP in itself. Smaller tech companies with huge PEs and near profitless are the ones that will get hammered without mercy though. Just like the tech bubble crash.

(07-06-2020, 11:23 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 11:19 AM)stockguru Wrote: D is down $9 now. That's a bit extreme isn't it lol

Maybe a bit; but keep this is mind. Since D cut their dividend, [color=#26282a]To yield 4%, it would need to get to 62.50. So it may have more downside. As I said yesterday it was a sell. I expected it down $5-6 but not $9. Investors are telling you they hate the news.  It's dead money now.  Better opportunities out there in the sector now. 

I'm curious to hear if Eric got out of D and where he put the proceeds??

I haven't sold yet, still digesting the news. Looks like hesitating cost me some with it down big on the announcement.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha

For one day yeah it's a bit much.  If I'm honest almost all my UTEs are 10%+ overvalued.  But who pays attention to silly things like valuation?  Smile   I've bought D in the 60's about ten times and traded it, and I don't think that was much over a year ago.  Reality is D was a high yielder and a core position in MANY retired folks portfolio.  Some are going to bail on the upcoming Div reduction.  Gotta do what you gotta do.  Just one more example of... if the Div is a little too good to be true, it's probably riskier than you think.  I hate it but interest is near zero, and these companies know they can trim the Div if things get tight.  New investors will be back for the smaller Div.  If you show up when the share price drops you aren't losing too much.  This sucks for DGI investors though.

I forgot to add. Nice buy on SYY. Great dividend grower and your getting in at a decent price. They may struggler a bit while restaurants struggle and are only at 50% capacity. But over time you will do well here. It's on my watch list.

I think KO is a good buy here as well. It hasn't recovered much off the lows and it was at a new highs before this pandemic started. Not a get rich quick stock but one you can hold at these levels.
Initial position into AVA today.
(07-06-2020, 11:55 AM)divmenow Wrote:

I forgot to add. Nice buy on SYY. Great dividend grower and your getting in at a decent price. They may struggler a bit while restaurants struggle and are only at 50% capacity. But over time you will do well here. It's on my watch list.

I think KO is a good buy here as well. It hasn't recovered much off the lows and it was at a new highs before this pandemic started. Not a get rich quick stock but one you can hold at these levels.
KO CEO has kept KO price down with his comments.  He has been honest and repeatedly predicting bad quarters for some time now.  They get half their Rev from bars and restaurants.  I don't think the market will be surprised when this quarter's earning stink.  I have been accumulating some shares and selling puts that expire worthless almost weekly.  It's seen it's bottom unless the whole market blows up.