Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(07-19-2019, 06:31 PM)Otter Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 06:07 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 10:20 AM)Otter Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 09:51 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It was my largest holding for 20 years.  I lightened up when it was in the high 140s.  I've sold a lot of puts and covered calls the past year and it has worked out very well.  As long as you don't make a long-term bet against JNJ it's been hard to lose.  I think fall may be a rough ride though.  Attorneys, politicians and the media will keep a lid on the SP for some time IMO.

I will happily add more to my holdings if the yield jumps over 3%

I won't be surprised if you get your chance.  14,000 separate talc cases alone   Something has gotta give as that alone would clog up most of the higher courts in the US.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but this could be messy for a good while.

They set up huge settlement facilities, a grid/points system is set up for claimants based on certain facts (such as dates of exposure, cumulative amount of exposure, medical conditions, medical outcomes, etc). The pot of money gets doled out according to a formula blessed by a master settlement agreement and a judge, and the whole thing gets administered by a third party like Kenneth Feinberg, with ministerial staff working under the administrator to process all the claims. Happens all the time. It’s how Vioxx got handled. MRK shareholders don’t even remember that anymore, sitting on record returns.
I know it gets cleaned up later.  I think we are still at the part where they try to prove JNJ knowingly poisoned people for decades.  I don't believe that of course, or I would not have committed so much the past few weeks.  I wished for JNJ to give me a better entry point.  We're just about there now lol.  It's been my second or third best stock of all time.  I just flipped it while moving accounts and it was near $150.  I thought that a little lofty because it was quarters ago.   JNJ is sure not getting the Boeing treatment lately.  I'm quite amazed BA is not sub $300 for a few quarters.  Smile
Bought WORK, non div.
Added more JNJ at $128.35 and took a new position in WFC
Added to JNJ
(07-22-2019, 09:00 AM)MikeWa Wrote: Added to JNJ

Also added to APLE
(07-22-2019, 08:47 AM)stockguru Wrote: Added more JNJ at $128.35 and took a new position in WFC

I think you will be very happy with both purchases in five years' time. I keep adding to WFC fairly regularly. Still underwater on the paper value of the holding, but the dividend is solid. JNJ is getting very close to my 3% yield target.
I did something I rarely do today. I sold out of a position. Got out of JCI entirely, for roughly a 10% gain. Anemic 2.5% yield (before foreign tax), payout has been frozen for seven consecutive quarters, and they just can't seem to get any traction when it comes to earnings growth.

Split the proceeds 50/50 to add to my JNJ and MMM holdings. Higher quality companies and dividends.
Sold KO this morning and bought LMT
added to JNJ @$128.40
Is there a reason you sold KO?
Perhaps KOs crazy PE vs the growth rate?
(07-23-2019, 08:02 PM)ChadR Wrote: Is there a reason you sold KO?

I have been keeping an eye on KO as well. With the relative decline of soft drink consumption by consumers, I wanted to make sure they were able to find other avenues to increase revenue to leave room for increased dividend payouts. I am glad to see the numbers up this week.