Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
CVS hit my limit order price, so I initiated a position. I was also aiming at BMY, but the price went in a "wrong" direction
(04-11-2019, 11:01 AM)t1292 Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added to MRK today!

LYFT is a stock I would never own unless it got into the 40's. That was the biggest rip off IPO that I could remember. It was prices way too high.

At least Pinterest is doing it right by lowering its IPO price. That one I may get into.
Lyft and uber see a world where people depend on them and car ownership drastically decreases. I am hoping that is the case.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I'm with you for the first part of the thesis.  Now where is their moat?  (barrier to entry from other competitors).   Why can't Ford, Hertz or some tech company enter their business?  Anyway, Lyft is a difficult stock to value.  Nowhere near profitable and the market cap is huge.  I truly hope it works out great for you.  We get a little critical of other's stocks here sometimes.  I hope you don't take that personal.  I think we try to help each other on this forum.
Bought some CVX in the pre-market this morning.

How about DIS. Up over $6 nice!
Nice buy on CVX.

DIS up over $12 now. And people said it was over valued lol

I dont like the banks but may buy WFC today.
(04-12-2019, 08:33 AM)divmenow Wrote: Nice buy on CVX.

DIS up over $12 now. And people said it was over valued lol

I dont like the banks but may buy WFC today.

Do you have a magic ball? Hope you bought WFC in the dip.
I waited an hour. And a good thing I did lol. Bought at $46.28
(04-12-2019, 10:37 AM)divmenow Wrote: I waited an hour. And a good thing I did lol. Bought at $46.28
I own WFC and I am itching to add more. But given their recent issues I am a bit hesitant. Usually when there are these kind of issues, there is more.

I don't have an account with them and we have been getting offers from them to open a checking account with $25 deposit and $400-$500 bonus after 3 months with direct deposite. That's a very aggressive offer in my opinion. It's good they they are being aggressive to get new account but that looks desperate as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
(04-12-2019, 12:38 PM)vbin Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 10:37 AM)divmenow Wrote: I waited an hour. And a good thing I did lol. Bought at $46.28
I own WFC and I am itching to add more. But given their recent issues I am a bit hesitant. Usually when there are these kind of issues, there is more.

I don't have an account with them and we have been getting offers from them to open a checking account with $25 deposit and $400-$500 bonus after 3 months with direct deposite. That's a very aggressive offer in my opinion. It's good they they are being aggressive to get new account but that looks desperate as well.

Some other too-big-to-fail bank will get its turn as the hated "bankster" group soon enough. Who knows if that is Citi, JPM, or BAC. Wells Fargo failing would make the effects from Lehman Brothers' collapse look tame. I can't say when the bottom will be, but it certainly looks reasonably valued at the moment. 

Megabanks these days are like investing in large defense contractors. They aren't going anywhere, and they are cash machines.
Can you please share more data/links on investment in large defence contractors?

(04-12-2019, 01:29 PM)vbin Wrote: Can you please share more data/links on investment in large defence contractors?

Have held BA since it was $120/share, and been very happy with the dividend raises since that time. I currently think it is overpriced, but will just continue to hold. 

Opened a position in LMT during the December mini-panic when it was under $270/share, and anticipate that it will continue to churn out reliable income as it has for decades. Have had my eye on it for a long time, and it finally got in my buy range in December.

Have recently been nibbling on GD. Not super-discounted, but appears fairly priced at the moment with a 15 P/E. 

LDOS is on my watchlist. Would have loved to grab some in December, but LMT got the nod with those funds. Waiting for the next downturn on that one. They basically do IT for our three-letter agencies.
(04-12-2019, 01:56 PM)Otter Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 01:29 PM)vbin Wrote: Can you please share more data/links on investment in large defence contractors?

Have held BA since it was $120/share, and been very happy with the dividend raises since that time. I currently think it is overpriced, but will just continue to hold. 

Opened a position in LMT during the December mini-panic when it was under $270/share, and anticipate that it will continue to churn out reliable income as it has for decades. Have had my eye on it for a long time, and it finally got in my buy range in December.

Have recently been nibbling on GD. Not super-discounted, but appears fairly priced at the moment with a 15 P/E. 

LDOS is on my watchlist. Would have loved to grab some in December, but LMT got the nod with those funds. Waiting for the next downturn on that one. They basically do IT for our three-letter agencies.
Thank you, I was looking for data on "Megabanks these days are like investing in large defense contractors. They aren't going anywhere, and they are cash machines"

(04-12-2019, 01:58 PM)vbin Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 01:56 PM)Otter Wrote:

Thank you, I was looking for data on "Megabanks these days are like investing in large defense contractors. They aren't going anywhere, and they are cash machines"

I was just drawing an offhand analogy. Large Defense contractors like Boeing and Lockheed are essentially the military industrial complex that Eisenhower warned about. Today, they are so large and integrated into the fabric of our economy that their failure would be catastrophic. The U.S. military and all of the associated defense contractors that supply it are the largest jobs program on Earth. Politicians cut it at their peril. Left-leaning politicians may moan about the "cost" of the military to appease the activist base, but in office they tend to keep the money flowing. Military/contractor projects are located in just about every domestic political jurisdiction on purpose. Local Congressmen/Senators support the jobs and money that come with those projects. 

Likewise, the major banks these days are critical to the functioning of the American financial system. Too-big-to-fail is real. 2008 would look like a minor speed-bump if any of C, BAC, JPM, or WFC collapsed. There's a reason Buffet is invested in WFC. The megabank sector is an oligopoly, and there is essentially an insurmountable barrier to entry. WFC may be unpopular for a while, but this too shall pass, and the money will keep flowing. If it doesn't, we all have much larger problems on our hands.