Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
O, JNJ, PG at these levels.
I added to my TXN holdings at the open. Will probably take a position in ALLY today as well. Great little company which was a spin-off of GM. They already raised the dividend after not being a public company for all that long. I suggest you all take a look at this company. I think it has a chance of hitting $45 by late 2018.
I bought 35 AAPL in my 5 year olds account today. It's the perfects stock to own for the next 20+ years and I got it on sale. All this negativity surrounding X sales. I love my Iphone X and I see this as a just another dip to buy.

That brings my sons portfolio to 8 stocks now. My goal is 10 names.

His 8 holding are

AAPL
V
UTX
NSC
DIS
ABT
MSFT
JNJ

I will add 2 more names as the year goes on. Just not sure what 2 names yet. There's too many to list lol. But I will say CAT is getting interesting here since the selloff.
Sold out of my position in DPS and opened new positions in MKC and HRL with the proceeds.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Nice Eric. HRL is a name I like and it has sold off where this was a good entry point.
I don't know that MKC or HRL are screaming bargains by any means, but they seem reasonably priced.

Sold DPS for a 180% gain in under 5 years holding period, so it treated me well!

I end with a tad more income from the MKC/HRL combo, and I think both should give 8%+ dividend growth going forward. So they should meet my goal of >10% annual income growth with reinvestment of dividends.
Eric, did you sell before the Keurig offer for DPS today? There's an ouch I didn't see coming.

I too initiated a position for my wife's portfolio in HRL a few weeks ago when it dipped to around $30 and added a little more a couple days ago in the low 30s. You're right, not a bargain but a fairer value than we've seen for a while. They'll get their troubles straightened out in a year or two. With their record and one of the lowest debt burdens of just about all the Consumer Staples sector, they have plenty of cushion. Besides, not having Skippy Natural peanut butter in our kitchen cabinet is cause for divorce so why not let them pay for it.

I've decided MKC , for me, is a buy during the next recession when they get spanked in a falling market (I hope). Until then, it sits on my wishlist. I just can't talk myself into paying 30x trailing on single-digit earnings growth no matter how consistent at my age.
=====
How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

I sold DPS this afternoon, so it was up something like 24% on the day when I sold.

I have MKC at a 25.3 trailing PE and 22.2 forward according to FAST Graphs.

Not cheap, but not out of line considering the market and how other staples are priced. Analysts expect ~10% annual growth going forward too, so I figured it was a fair swap compared to what I was getting out of my old DPS.
I used the rest of my DPS proceeds and bought CVX and PF. Does anyone even own PF on these boards lol
I've steered clear from PF due to the BB- credit rating.

It's done very well though!