Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(09-05-2018, 06:46 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Picked up some KHC today.   First DGI stock for the new port.

(09-10-2018, 11:39 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: bought UNM.

Me too, 36.25 looking for 57 someday.

...and sold a OCT40 C for .75 to reduce basis.
Initiated a position in BUD today @$88.22.

Edited to Add - Also added slightly to my position in SIEGY
CNI is well priced currently.
Sold my position in Chatham Lodging Trust (CLDT) and used the proceeds to fill out my position in Altria Group (MO).

Chatham has had several years of declining FFO and a frozen dividend, while Altria raised the dividend by over 30% this year, and is expected to grow EPS at around 10% going forward. I didn't want to miss out on my opportunity to add to MO at a 5%+ yield.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Good call IMO Eric. Knowing when it's time to redeploy assets to greener pastures will serve you well over time. Patience is good, but buy and hold mindlessly forever doesn't always work out.
I've given Chatham 3 years, and that has been three years of declining FFO during a booming economy. If a lodging trust can't grow in a good economy, I don't want to hold it long enough to see how it does in a poor one.

I give up a bit of income today, but I'm much more confident in MO's continued dividend growth than I am in Chatham's.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I believe we should evaluate struggling stocks annually and act like we are deciding whether we would buy it again today. I have held some very big names like MSFT, INTC, CSCO, PFE for a decade of severe under performance. We can always get back in when the story is optimistic again.
(09-12-2018, 01:35 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I believe we should evaluate struggling stocks annually and act like we are deciding whether we would buy it again today.  I have held some very big names like MSFT, INTC, CSCO, PFE  for a decade of severe under performance.  We can always get back in when the story is optimistic again.

Not only struggling stocks but all stocks that we own. I personally don't do this, I prefer to just read through all of the quarterly results and I use that to get an impression of where the company is going. The "would I buy this now at this price" is a very good way to look at it... I know I should personally think about it more since the past doesn't matter, the future does.

I do admit that I have a hard time "letting go" of a stock that I've owned for a long time. I've done it a couple of times and it has been a good move.. then again I didn't let go of PG when I probably should have and it's not like I've lost money but I think I could have found some better alternatives.

Back to the topic of this thread. Just got my salary for the month so it's time to look at buying something again. I might add to AMAT following the massive selling that has happened in the past weeks.
AMAT is a good company but I'd recommend some industry inventory research before I tried to catch those falling knives.  Most of the chip stocks are getting a beating because it's about to get bad for awhile.  

I think I am going to look at banks today while they are still fairly low.  BAC and USB have my eye at the moment. Need to check out a few CA banks as well.
Bought some KR this morning down over $3. I like where this company is headed for the future.

Also added to MO and SO this morning!
Sold a covered MO put with a great premium close to the money today so I should be long MO soon. I am VERY tempted to add some more SO today. SO seems to have a lot of support just south of current price. Close enough anyway for a longterm hold. I have been bitten by DIV yield traps in the past but never by a utility company. They always get the BIZ figured out eventually and get by with it in the meantime because they have no competition.
That's exactly why I bought SO today. Its right near the bottom of its all time low trading range and the yield is now over 5%