Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I added to PM and SBUX today. SBUX not a great dividend stock but I love the name and the future. There are always packed.
I added to NUE today. Love the bargain.
It's been a while posting.

Within the last two weeks: I diversified some UNP and added to CCP and QCOM positions. In another account I sold out of SFM and added to V. Ive also been adding to VZ any time it falls under $45--been doing this one for some time.

Today I added to KR
Well AMZN just killed KR and all the other supermarkets and retailers that sell food. WMT down over $4 wow.. Would have been nice to hold Whole Foods. I'm beginning to hate AMZN on how much they can corner every market. Auto Parts next.

But I may have to buy some TGT today. Under $50 looks like a good entry.
TGT, NKE, WBA... I'm taking a good hit today! Thanks Amazon
I just think this AMZN and this food thing is way of an over reaction here . Me personally would just rather drive to a Target or a local supermarket and buy food. I can get it a lot quicker then Amazon can ship it lol. I mean what are they going to do??/ Use Drones and do a drop off at your door for fruit and milk lol. Just a big over reaction here. And Whole Foods hasn't been good for years. This is one transaction I dont see AMZN winning.

I bought some TGT and CVS today.
(06-16-2017, 10:45 AM)divmenow Wrote: I just think this AMZN and this food thing is way of an over reaction here . Me personally would just rather drive to a Target or a local supermarket and buy food. I can get it a lot quicker then Amazon can ship it lol. I mean what are they going to do??/ Use Drones and do a drop off at your door for fruit and milk lol. Just a big over reaction here. And Whole Foods hasn't been good for years. This is one transaction I dont see AMZN winning.

I actually work at a grocery store. At a recent meeting, the president of our division showed a slide that had Amazon forcasted to open over 4000 brick and mortar stores within five years. Basically smaller stores that will sell groceries. The payment system will be set up to where you will walk in and grab what you want and walk out. Everything will be automatically totaled and charged to your account. No waiting. This is why you are seeing normal grocers focusing so much on online ordering and store pickup. Trying to get ahead of the monster.
(06-16-2017, 12:20 PM)Jason Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 10:45 AM)divmenow Wrote: I just think this AMZN and this food thing is way of an over reaction here . Me personally would just rather drive to a Target or a local supermarket and buy food. I can get it a lot quicker then Amazon can ship it lol. I mean what are they going to do??/ Use Drones and do a drop off at your door for fruit and milk lol. Just a big over reaction here. And Whole Foods hasn't been good for years. This is one transaction I dont see AMZN winning.

I actually work at a grocery store. At a recent meeting, the president of our division showed a slide that had Amazon forcasted to open over 4000 brick and mortar stores within five years. Basically smaller stores that will sell groceries. The payment system will be set up to where you will walk in and grab what you want and walk out. Everything will be automatically totaled and charged to your account. No waiting. This is why you are seeing normal grocers focusing so much on online ordering and store pickup. Trying to get ahead of the monster.
Or they could just buy Whole foods Big Grin
(06-16-2017, 12:23 PM)Jason Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 12:20 PM)Jason Wrote:

Or they could just buy Whole foods Big Grin

Next thing you will see is Target buying KR and sticking it to Amazon.. These supermarkets, food retailers ect know what they have to do to go head to head with Amazon. They too can set up a payment plan with Master Card, Visa, Paypal ect and all a customer has to do is scan there card and pay. In and out like you said.
(06-16-2017, 01:45 PM)divmenow Wrote: Next thing you will see is Target buying KR and sticking it to Amazon.. These supermarkets, food retailers ect know what they have to do to go head to head with Amazon. They too can set up a payment plan with Master Card, Visa, Paypal ect and all a customer has to do is scan there card and pay. In and out like you said.

KR has a valuation of $23B with the drop today, TGT has a valuation of $30B... I don't see a chance for a merger (way too much overhead from both) or hardcore acquisition. Totally different from a $500B company acquiring a $10B one as a strategic channel for growth.
I also can't see how AMZN can do serious damage to TGT. According to TGT's 2016 annual report only 22% of the revenue is "Food, Beverage  & Pet Supplies". I think significant portion of it are dry goods - not fresh produce/grocery.
I doubled down on TGT this morning under $50 and now the new position is up 6% Smile. The old position is still down a lot though.

My biggest worry is on CVS and WBA positions. AMZN could become a serious threat if they enter pharmacy market through WFM which is the very likely case.
I sold out of Target back at $77. I have been out of retail for some time now other then WMT. TGT has had all kind of troubles of late. But I see it turning around and their last report wasn't all that bad. But to get in this morning with a yield of almost 5% I couldn't pass it up. It will now be a 5 year hold for me. I agree CVS and WBA are in trouble moving forward. And of course CVS stores are in Target. We will have to see how it all plays out.