Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 planning
(10-25-2021, 07:36 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I did some DD on Unity.  A wonderful company at a terrible price.  I like their chances but they are a couple years away from being worth todays price.  I'd need a dip to even nibble.

It has had some great dips during the short time it has been a publicly listed company. We may get another one in a couple of weeks once their Q3 comes out. As you said, it's a wonderful company but at today's price the expectations have to be very very high. I personally don't expect absolutely massive growth numbers right now, this is more of a "let's see in 10-20 years" kind of a play for me.

But yes, I would definitely not back up the truck at these prices. My own average cost is somewhere around $120 and I'm ok with that but I wouldn't want it to be any higher.
(10-25-2021, 08:57 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 07:36 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I did some DD on Unity.  A wonderful company at a terrible price.  I like their chances but they are a couple years away from being worth todays price.  I'd need a dip to even nibble.

It has had some great dips during the short time it has been a publicly listed company. We may get another one in a couple of weeks once their Q3 comes out. As you said, it's a wonderful company but at today's price the expectations have to be very very high. I personally don't expect absolutely massive growth numbers right now, this is more of a "let's see in 10-20 years" kind of a play for me.

But yes, I would definitely not back up the truck at these prices. My own average cost is somewhere around $120 and I'm ok with that but I wouldn't want it to be any higher.
We can't help what the market does but if they beat growth estimates by 25% for two years it's still iffy from here.  A dip will come.
(10-25-2021, 07:08 AM)rayray Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 07:03 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I think I am going to spend the next few, months getting allocated for retirement.  I am doing this backwards though. My income stocks were probably fine years ago.  The tech component is where I am lacking.  I think that will be QQQ and about 5-6 individual stocks.  At the moment I am leaning AMZN-GOOGL-FB-U.  I'll let a market dip finish the list.  I'll take advice from you guys, but I don't need anything so speculative I have to babysit it.  As much as I think SOFI and PLTR have a good shot, I don't need to be stressing out why they dipped 30%.  It's a distraction from my option income game.  That is what is going to pay the bills and keep me out of my pension checks some months.  When the market gets choppy there are income opportunities that will require my attention.

U is an interesting choice!

I think Oracle is the most under-rated veteran tech stock, and it is DGI too.
I've seen some really good future hype the past few days lol.  I need to get educated before I start pontificating.  Smile  Mostly it should be clear what I am doing.  Just overweighting QQQ with some extra  FANG of the side.  I'll buy dips or I won't own too much soon.  I feel like I missed NVDA, MSFT and Netflix for now.

i went after msft and nvda, also picked up nke--under water on mu--but think mu will do very well in time

missed out on netfix and tesla--tbh--i forgot about them

You know that since you posted this, I think Tesla is up about 20%  Tongue
(10-28-2021, 08:17 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 07:08 AM)rayray Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 07:03 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I think I am going to spend the next few, months getting allocated for retirement.  I am doing this backwards though. My income stocks were probably fine years ago.  The tech component is where I am lacking.  I think that will be QQQ and about 5-6 individual stocks.  At the moment I am leaning AMZN-GOOGL-FB-U.  I'll let a market dip finish the list.  I'll take advice from you guys, but I don't need anything so speculative I have to babysit it.  As much as I think SOFI and PLTR have a good shot, I don't need to be stressing out why they dipped 30%.  It's a distraction from my option income game.  That is what is going to pay the bills and keep me out of my pension checks some months.  When the market gets choppy there are income opportunities that will require my attention.

U is an interesting choice!

I think Oracle is the most under-rated veteran tech stock, and it is DGI too.
I've seen some really good future hype the past few days lol.  I need to get educated before I start pontificating.  Smile  Mostly it should be clear what I am doing.  Just overweighting QQQ with some extra  FANG of the side.  I'll buy dips or I won't own too much soon.  I feel like I missed NVDA, MSFT and Netflix for now.

i went after msft and nvda, also picked up nke--under water on mu--but think mu will do very well in time

missed out on netfix and tesla--tbh--i forgot about them

You know that since you posted this, I think Tesla is up about 20%  Tongue
It's OK for me to own a stock that is primed for a 50% dip like TSLA or NVDA, but I can't own enough of it to matter.  Just not where I am in life.  It's bad enough just trying to hold a smelly dividend stock like BMY or LMT lol.
2022 planning….hmmm

Likely keep my normal investing going into the 401(K). After May, maybe sooner move a bit more into mid and large cap value mutual funds from the S&P and Total Stock Market funds they’re in now.

Still keeping a good sized cash position, waiting to take advantage is any real and meaningful corrections in late 2022.

Kinda boring IMO but seems to be working the last 36 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For 2022, I really don't plan on doing much. However, to wrap up the year, I'll take a look at the portfolio and do some fundamental analysis on the companies I do have, to make sure that the business is still doing well. Looking for key metrics like the dividend ratio and to ensure that net profits are still following a good trend. If I see any underperformers, I will try and hold out until they are in the green before selling them, to see if I can get some capital gains in the process. Then I may look for a replacement stock to put that capital to work. All of this to prep for the tax filing that will happen in January/February.
I added Texas Instruments and Garmin last year, and although both are quite pricey per share, they are solid performing companies and their yields look good. Although the portfolio growth is slow, the annual dividends are getting some movement, so I hope to continue seeing that snowball build.
Anyone having concerns all this BBB spending will eventually crash the markets?

With inflation rampant, how long before the “quit buying stuff” becomes a theme because food and fuel consume disposable income???

(11-19-2021, 10:40 AM)bankerboy Wrote: Anyone having concerns all this BBB spending will eventually crash the markets?

With inflation rampant, how long before the “quit buying stuff” becomes a theme because food and fuel consume disposable income???

No idea what BBB stands for.
(11-19-2021, 11:03 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(11-19-2021, 10:40 AM)bankerboy Wrote: Anyone having concerns all this BBB spending will eventually crash the markets?

No idea what BBB stands for.

BBB = "Build Back Better"

The recovery/stimulus bill that is being debated in Congress.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha

Not at all.  Pretty much locked in another six months of stock market happiness.  When we stop spending is when I get worried.  At the risk of ticking anybody off, starting with George W about the day after 9/11, each president has doubled the deficit spending of his predecessor.  Literally doubled our deficit! And most say it's other party that wastes money.  It's hard to listen to partisan ignorance. Stock market valuation has adjusted to this so it won't be good at all when we return to sanity.            

There is plenty of blame left for the FED.  The taper should be complete  and we should be staring at a small interest rate increase about now. THAT would put a leash of the euphoria.  Home prices have mooned and these jokers are still buying up mortgage paper? Why?  Great, now nobody starting out can afford a damned house.   I'm just playing the cards we are dealt but we deserve what we get when it comes tumbling down, whatever year they finally cut off the juice.
The deficit is depressing for sure, and I feel very badly for those starting out wanting to own a home. Especially here in the Boston area. For instance, in my town of Mansfield, the average home value according to Zillow is $585,681. According to Realter.com, the median listing price as of this October is $492,500. And Mansfield is a blue-collar town 2/3 of the way to Providence.

Back to the subject of 2022 planning, my DFEN and LHX reach fully long-term capital gain status in late April, so I will probably sell them both and exit the defense sector completely then.
i like this thread--going back to your first post (ken-do-nim) all those companies listed are great

i'm very wishy-washy about the market because i'm not a fan of our current administration of course the previous administration gave the keys to the oil industry and like diabetics in a candy store they almost killed themselves imho--so i don't like anybody in office

tech is going to continue on growing

another arena that's going to grow imho, are these charging stations for electric vehicles, we're all going to be driving a hybrid or a electric car, eventually, imho

it's coming and it's not going to stop--it's world-wide

which makes me glance at seimens/blink/iSun stuff like that but i mostly look and read no action

royal dutch is floating change and i'll take it more serious when i exxon-mobil swing into action--it's coming

other then that--i'm accumulating through 2022 and beyond--i'll stop when i'm dead

edit: on a side note i opened up a sofi invest within my sofi account--this sofi money account will take all cash reward money, any cash rewards will be deposited and invested in this "sofi invest" account--no other type of money will be added--out of curiosity i want to see what this turns into over time--so far all my cc's earn a cash reward--we'll see