Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 planning
Hey all,

Since I don't have any more funds to buy stocks this year, I thought I would start a 2022 planning thread.  What is your strategic plan for the coming year?  What, if any, target share counts do you have?

On the dividend front, I'm at about $6550 annually and I would like it to reach at least $7200.  Should be doable.

Here are the stocks I want to get up to 100 shares:
  • Seagate
  • Oracle
  • Hewlett Packard

Here are the stocks I want to get up to 75 shares:
  • Apple
Here are the stocks I want to get up to 50 shares:
  • Hasbro
  • Rio
Here are the stocks I want to get up to 30 shares:
  • Microsoft
Here are the stocks I want to get up to 25 shares:
  • Broadcom
  • Texas Instruments
  • Intuitive Surgical
  • Blackstone
  • Taiwan Semiconductor
  • Nvidia
Here are the stocks I want to get up to 15 shares:
  • Upstart
  • Trade Desk
  • Adobe
  • Facebook, err Meta
Here are the stocks I want to get up to 10 shares:
  • ASML

Here are the stocks I want to get up to 3 shares:
  • Google
  • Amazon
  • Shopify
The chip stocks are the priority, since I think they will take off in 2023.
Impossible question for me as I add or trim sectors when they swing excessively.  But for core positions about 1200 shares of utilities, 800 pharma, 300 shares of defense contractors.  The rest will camp out in index funds unless I think I have a sector to target.  I have no problem holding 100s of shares each of QQQ-SPY-IWM until I have a better idea.

Less focus on higher dividends until those stocks are respected as they underperform. If the market is down 20% then everything is on sale and it makes it easier to adjust with valuation in mind.
I don't even know what I'll do next week, and you're asking what I plan on doing next year? Big Grin

I don't think anything significant will happen next year when it comes to my investment strategy. Same old add X amount per month and invest it in whatever I feel is the right choice that given month. Maybe I'll try to focus on growing the size of my smaller positions to make the portfolio a bit more balanced. And I'm planning for significantly more option trading but we will see how that goes.
Ken,

If you get a dip in chips during earnings season (somebody will miss), I'd probably get that shopping done soon. I'm not suggesting you sell something you are way down in but you know how the market looks forward. Chips may peak in 2023 and the market will already be worrying about a return to normal and the next down cycle. Semis will never be completely immune from cycles. Same as most hardware.
(10-14-2021, 08:16 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Ken,

If you get a dip in chips during earnings season (somebody will miss), I'd probably get that shopping done soon.  I'm not suggesting you sell something you are way down in but you know how the market looks forward.  Chips may peak in 2023 and the market will already be worrying about a return to normal and the next down cycle.  Semis will never be completely immune from cycles.  Same as most hardware.

Agreed; I want to be all set on the chip stock targets by mid-2022.  Other targets like Blackstone, Rio, Eli Lilly can come in during the second half of the year.
(10-14-2021, 12:11 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I don't even know what I'll do next week, and you're asking what I plan on doing next year? Big Grin

I don't think anything significant will happen next year when it comes to my investment strategy. Same old add X amount per month and invest it in whatever I feel is the right choice that given month. Maybe I'll try to focus on growing the size of my smaller positions to make the portfolio a bit more balanced. And I'm planning for significantly more option trading but we will see how that goes.

Yeah that's much more of a fluid system.  I just like to plan and set goals.  For me it's part hobby, and I like collecting shares.
i just keep accumulating, my goal is always more shares and more money, it doesn't change

some adds have been in various tech

mu/lrcx/tsm/amzn/googl/fb/roku/nvda/msft/amat/tdoc/adbe/sofi/pypl/sq/upst/mttr/veev/lmnd

and of course added to my other stocks here and there

i know there's some i'm missing--i'm back to my original plan of retiring anywhere from 5 (year 2026) to 10 (year 2031) years from now, with anything between year 2026 to 2031 as fine but closer to 59 1/2 the better
I think I am going to spend the next few, months getting allocated for retirement. I am doing this backwards though. My income stocks were probably fine years ago. The tech component is where I am lacking. I think that will be QQQ and about 5-6 individual stocks. At the moment I am leaning AMZN-GOOGL-FB-U. I'll let a market dip finish the list. I'll take advice from you guys, but I don't need anything so speculative I have to babysit it. As much as I think SOFI and PLTR have a good shot, I don't need to be stressing out why they dipped 30%. It's a distraction from my option income game. That is what is going to pay the bills and keep me out of my pension checks some months. When the market gets choppy there are income opportunities that will require my attention.
(10-24-2021, 06:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I think I am going to spend the next few, months getting allocated for retirement.  I am doing this backwards though. My income stocks were probably fine years ago.  The tech component is where I am lacking.  I think that will be QQQ and about 5-6 individual stocks.  At the moment I am leaning AMZN-GOOGL-FB-U.  I'll let a market dip finish the list.  I'll take advice from you guys, but I don't need anything so speculative I have to babysit it.  As much as I think SOFI and PLTR have a good shot, I don't need to be stressing out why they dipped 30%.  It's a distraction from my option income game.  That is what is going to pay the bills and keep me out of my pension checks some months.  When the market gets choppy there are income opportunities that will require my attention.

U is an interesting choice!

I think Oracle is the most under-rated veteran tech stock, and it is DGI too.
(10-24-2021, 06:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I think I am going to spend the next few, months getting allocated for retirement.  I am doing this backwards though. My income stocks were probably fine years ago.  The tech component is where I am lacking.  I think that will be QQQ and about 5-6 individual stocks.  At the moment I am leaning AMZN-GOOGL-FB-U.  I'll let a market dip finish the list.  I'll take advice from you guys, but I don't need anything so speculative I have to babysit it.  As much as I think SOFI and PLTR have a good shot, I don't need to be stressing out why they dipped 30%.  It's a distraction from my option income game.  That is what is going to pay the bills and keep me out of my pension checks some months.  When the market gets choppy there are income opportunities that will require my attention.

I've seen some really good future hype the past few days lol.  I need to get educated before I start pontificating.  Smile  Mostly it should be clear what I am doing.  Just overweighting QQQ with some extra  FANG of the side.  I'll buy dips or I won't own too much soon.  I feel like I missed NVDA, MSFT and Netflix for now.
(10-24-2021, 07:03 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

I've seen some really good future hype the past few days lol.  I need to get educated before I start pontificating.  Smile  Mostly it should be clear what I am doing.  Just overweighting QQQ with some extra  FANG of the side.  I'll buy dips or I won't own too much soon.  I feel like I missed NVDA, MSFT and Netflix for now.

i went after msft and nvda, also picked up nke--under water on mu--but think mu will do very well in time

missed out on netfix and tesla--tbh--i forgot about them
I did some DD on Unity. A wonderful company at a terrible price. I like their chances but they are a couple years away from being worth todays price. I'd need a dip to even nibble.