Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your portfolio's yield?
(08-06-2021, 01:03 PM)ChadR Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:24 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:08 AM)ChadR Wrote: 2.4%, but YOC is 5.2%.  AAPL, MSFT, and NSC with their huge runups have killed my yield.
No they really haven't and you know that Chad.  Yield on cost matters.  Yield against current balance is not a bit meaningful if your reduction in yield is caused by capital appreciation.

Oh yeah, I know.  They're the reason that it's low for this exercise.  And until this, I had never checked to see what my portfolio yield was.  I only track what I get in dividends each year.
If it's a DGI stock I pay some attention to yield when buying or adding more shares and it tends to work out.  If/when AAPL/MSFT transitions to a good income play you are very late selling it.
(08-06-2021, 08:20 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 07:10 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Tax advantaged account, around 6%

Wow, that's high!  Lots of BTI?  Any chance you could post in the "10 largest holdings" thread?

My current YOC
IBM 4.7
ABBV 6.5
FLO 6.0
MET 4.5
MO 7.24
MPC 5.0
O 6.1
HD 4.1
T 10

No options are included in those figures. Options are bucketed as option $$

Just did an accounting of my Accelerated Dual Momentum Strategy per the Mrs' request. Since 5/24/2019 that strat is up 80%.

I run 4 strategies, DGI, Accelerated Dual Momentum (enhancement of Antonocci's work), options and leveraged TYD/UPRO.
(08-06-2021, 05:59 PM)NilesMike Wrote:

Wow, that's high!  Lots of BTI?  Any chance you could post in the "10 largest holdings" thread?

My current YOC
IBM  4.7
ABBV  6.5
FLO  6.0
MET  4.5
MO  7.24
MPC 5.0
O   6.1
HD   4.1
T   10

Just did an accounting of my Accelerated Dual Momentum Strategy per the Mrs' request. Since 5/24/2019 that strat is up 80%.

I run 4 strategies, DGI, Accelerated Dual Momentum (enhancement of Antonocci's work), options and leveraged TYD/UPRO.

IBM - I still can't decide whether I want to get back into it.
MPC - I'd never heard of this before.  P/E Ratio of 4.9 wow!
T - hmm... to get a yield on cost of 10% considering it's been dropping for a while ...  early 2000s purchase?
(08-06-2021, 07:06 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 05:59 PM)NilesMike Wrote:

My current YOC
IBM  4.7
ABBV  6.5
FLO  6.0
MET  4.5
MO  7.24
MPC 5.0
O   6.1
HD   4.1
T   10

IBM - I still can't decide whether I want to get back into it.
MPC - I'd never heard of this before.  P/E Ratio of 4.9 wow!
T - hmm... to get a yield on cost of 10% considering it's been dropping for a while ...  early 2000s purchase?
(T) Mostly bought on 2003 and 2008

Smaller purchases at other fortuitous prices.
I think I am going to enter retirement initially with four strats and I need to get busy auditioning #4 soon.
Yeah, going to have to read up on Accelerated Dual Momentum.

I guess I have 4 strategies too:
1. DGI
2. Income (aka yield traps)
3. Leveraged etfs (Btw I have SPXL not UPRO but they are both 3x S&P 500 funds. I like saying 'SPXL' better)
4. Growth stocks like Google, Moderna, Intuitive Surgical

And I need to get back to #5: selling stuff on eBay to fund the above 4!

Ooh, and let's not forget: airtight pre-nup if I get married again.
We have a thread on Accelerated Dual Momentum here but it's not called that. I'll dig it up. It's the base strategy from about 10 years ago but well back tested. There are a number of guys who have developed successful variants of it. Quite a few have returns similar to what Mike posted. It doesn't go like that always, but the good ones tend to outperform SPY over time, with far less drawdown. The far less drawdown part is attractive to Mike and I. We could both retire now or soon. I'm pretty sure he too could survive a 35% port drawdown, but why expose yourself to that five or less years from retirement date? I really do know guys that had to delay their retirement by years due to GFC. That would be awful. We've put in the time to learn how to avoid that.
Yield on cost is 4.18% in my dividend portfolio.
not including mutual fund/etf type investments

only individual stocks below

total portfolio (65 stocks)

div yield 2.32% with YOC 3.51% Portfolio BETA 1.03

just dividend stocks (51 stocks)

div yield 2.9% with YOC 4.27% Portfolio BETA 1.01

stocks, no dividend (14 stocks)

div 0% YOC 0% BETA 1.13
(08-06-2021, 11:08 AM)ChadR Wrote: 2.4%, but YOC is 5.2%.  AAPL, MSFT, and NSC with their huge runups have killed my yield.
No they really haven't and you know that Chad.  Yield on cost matters.  Yield against current balance is not a bit meaningful if your reduction in yield is caused by capital appreciation.

Oh yeah, I know.  They're the reason that it's low for this exercise.  And until this, I had never checked to see what my portfolio yield was.  I only track what I get in dividends each year.
Yeah AAPL and MSFT wrecking your "yield" is a wonderful problem.  I like your method of just tracking total dividends on a quarterly/annual basis like Eric publishes.  I could reset my current yield to sub 2% or 4%+ with a half dozen trades.  There is no point in that.  I haven't held many stocks for decades.  My YOC for XEL is well over 20%, current yield is 2 1/2%.  Current SP is over 9X.  Should I dump it and grab some Edison with a 4% current yield and no growth?  I just might when I am 80 if I need the income.  Even a boring stock illustrates port current yield % is just a number in accumulation phase, and sometime into drawdown IMO. 

Someday the SPY will likely have a current yield near 2 1/2%.  It's unlikely our ports will be celebrating that.
(08-07-2021, 05:28 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Yeah AAPL and MSFT wrecking your "yield" is a wonderful problem.  I like your method of just tracking total dividends on a quarterly/annual basis like Eric publishes.  I could reset my current yield to sub 2% or 4%+ with a half dozen trades.  There is no point in that.  I haven't held many stocks for decades.  My YOC for XEL is well over 20%, current yield is 2 1/2%.  Current SP is over 9X.  Should I dump it and grab some Edison with a 4% current yield and no growth?  I just might when I am 80 if I need the income.  Even a boring stock illustrates port current yield % is just a number in accumulation phase, and sometime into drawdown IMO. 

Someday the SPY will likely have a current yield near 2 1/2%.  It's unlikely our ports will be celebrating that.

I'm happy with them wrecking my yield.  Won't be selling them for NLY to jack up my yield.  Been tracking my dividend income by month since 2014.  Never really track current portfolio yield or if it's hitting an ATH.  Since I'm still in the accumulation phase, at the end of every year is pretty much an ATH since I'm still making contributions on a weekly basis.
Bumping for the new members. Also, I don't see divmenow or some of the other regulars here. I'm especially interested in the yield of retirees living exclusively or mostly off of dividends.