Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your portfolio's yield?
Does anyone else pay attention to your portfolio's yield?  Do you have a target you like to aim for?

My taxable account's current yield is 2.51%.  I will probably keep it pegged right there until the big retirement reshuffling, when I sell all the growth stuff and move 100% into dividend-producing assets, at which time it will probably move up to 4 or 5%.
About 3% excluding cash that is collateral for put sales. That part varies month to month but 1% monthly is normal yield. More if VIX is rockin. When I retire about the same. Maybe a little more index and less option fun because it is time consuming to monitor.
I would like to but honestly it's too troublesome for me to calculate since I have several different brokerage accounts.
And while it's a nice statistic, it's also affected by total portfolio value. This is why I just keep to staring at the amount of $ / € I receive in dividends.
(08-05-2021, 12:16 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I would like to but honestly it's too troublesome for me to calculate since I have several different brokerage accounts.
And while it's a nice statistic, it's also affected by total portfolio value. This is why I just keep to staring at the amount of $ / € I receive in dividends.  
Same here.  Vanguard software while very accurate, is not report friendly. You are supposed to just invest in index mutual funds for 50 years then check your balance.  Big Grin 

i have to calculate my option premium income by hand because it is not listed separately like dividends.  It's just a 30 day stock trade to them.  

Regarding ABBV.  Great company I want to own.  Market darling and they act like the blockbuster patent expiration in 2023 is no big deal.  Good pipeline but it will be no small task to replace that revenue.  It's not outrageous to suggest their 2024 revenue and earnings are similar to today.  Still a good company but that makes the current PE not as crazy cheap as it first appears.  Still kicking myself for not grabbing some when it was trading in the 60's.  Long-term they are fine and the Div is safe.
Tax advantaged account, around 6%
(08-05-2021, 12:16 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I would like to but honestly it's too troublesome for me to calculate since I have several different brokerage accounts.

Yeah, when I say mine is 2 and a half, I'm only looking at one of my accounts.  My ROTH is almost zero, since it has a pure growth strategy, Morgan Stanley is miniscule since it has my company stock and they pay 0.1%, and my HSA is all ETFs so probably 1%ish.
(08-05-2021, 07:10 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Tax advantaged account, around 6%

Wow, that's high!  Lots of BTI?  Any chance you could post in the "10 largest holdings" thread?
2.74% as of yesterday's close.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(08-06-2021, 08:20 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 07:10 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Tax advantaged account, around 6%

Wow, that's high!  Lots of BTI?  Any chance you could post in the "10 largest holdings" thread?
Option magic tricks most likely.  He hangs out on the Conservative option thread for a reason.
2.4%, but YOC is 5.2%. AAPL, MSFT, and NSC with their huge runups have killed my yield.
(08-06-2021, 11:08 AM)ChadR Wrote: 2.4%, but YOC is 5.2%.  AAPL, MSFT, and NSC with their huge runups have killed my yield.
No they really haven't and you know that Chad.  Yield on cost matters.  Yield against current balance is not a bit meaningful if your reduction in yield is caused by capital appreciation.
(08-06-2021, 11:24 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:08 AM)ChadR Wrote: 2.4%, but YOC is 5.2%.  AAPL, MSFT, and NSC with their huge runups have killed my yield.
No they really haven't and you know that Chad.  Yield on cost matters.  Yield against current balance is not a bit meaningful if your reduction in yield is caused by capital appreciation.

Oh yeah, I know.  They're the reason that it's low for this exercise.  And until this, I had never checked to see what my portfolio yield was.  I only track what I get in dividends each year.