Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Perfect Portfolio Competition
I will pick CVS, LIN, NEE, APPL, and AVGO
(01-06-2021, 12:37 PM)kblake Wrote: I will pick CVS, LIN, NEE, APPL, and AVGO
I better like those picks because I own most of them.  Smile  

Next week I will copy paste all our picks into one post se we can find them and calculate now and then.
(01-06-2021, 05:19 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 12:37 PM)kblake Wrote: I will pick CVS, LIN, NEE, APPL, and AVGO
I better like those picks because I own most of them.  Smile  

Next week I will copy paste all our picks into one post se we can find them and calculate now and then.

If you get them all collected into a post, I can create a Google spreadsheet to track them.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Thanks I will do that.
(01-05-2021, 11:50 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 10:59 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 08:14 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's that time of year again.  2020 contest will wrap up soon.  2020 wasn't so fun as the Covid crash whipped most of us.  Divemenow has stolen my crown for 2020.  We'll see who takes it this year.

We'll keep it fairly simple again.  It will run from JAN 1 to DEC 31 2021.  Try to have your picks in by very early January, but we can keep it open a few extra days to get more participants.

1.  Pick five stocks. Not confined to the US.  One of the stocks may be an ETF but index funds such as S&P500 is discouraged.  We are trying to use our individual stock picking abilities.      
2.  Let's keep the DGI forum theme, but I don't want to be overly limiting so minimum 1.0% dividend yield is OK this year. That will eliminate penny stocks.     
3.  If you wish, you may waive the dividend rules for one stock or ETF.  Add a leveraged ETF or even a hedge ETF if you wish.    
4.  Make some attempt at diversification like you would if this was your real port.  Two tech stocks or two industrials is fine, two chip stocks or two auto manufacturers is not.  

EDIT:  I lowered the minimum dividend requirement to 1% for 2021.  Many quality DGI stocks have appreciated their dividend under the previous 1 1/2% threshold.  

Although I started this, I am open to your ideas for rule changes.  Suggestions welcomed but we need them within a few days. 

We won't use it for scoring, but just for fun throw out your best "short" candidate.  (No dividend requirement) We'll see how much you would have won or lost committing to short 100 shares for an entire year.  We aren't scoring it as that would be a crazy commitment.        

I want to play but I don't know how this works.  I see everyone just listing 5 stocks.  Is it something like "imagine you put $2000 into each stock on Jan 1, who comes out with the highest total value on Dec 31st"?

Yes, read the rules above but the short version is...  pick five stocks, the theme is generally DGI because it's a DGI forum, but you can have one stock or an ETF with no dividend for a fast grower diversification.  The other four should have a yield of 1 1/2% or higher.  Make a reasonable attempt at diversification.  (Five tech stocks is not diversification, but a couple is fine)  It's just for fun, keep the spirit of the game.  We'll cut this off Friday close but beginning date for calculating return is JAN 1 2021.  No fair grabbing a stock that ran 20% this week lol.  Just have fun.  Nobody is here to split hairs on the rules.  From time to time one of us will punch the ports into a website and see how we are doing. Dividends do count but we generally wait until the end and see if yield breaks the tie.  And pick a short candidate.  That is not calculated, just for fun.  That is plenty complicated enough which isn't actually the intent.

EDIT: I have stated 1% and also 1 1/2% minimum yield rule in this thread.  Too late now, just pick one.  Smile

Okay, here we go then!

One crazy leveraged ETF: RETL - can this screamer get any higher?  every day I look I wished I owned some, but I just know it's going to have a big fall
One over the top real estate stock:  ORC - 14.97% dividend
One S&P 500 high dividend energy stock: KMI - 7.3% dividend
One biotech stock: ABBV - 5.2% dividend
One oil stock: USDP - 12.69% dividend; I used to own this but having to do a schedule K every year wasn't worth it
Ok, I’m going to go with:

MS
NEE
ABBV
XOM
DKNG
Please check this list over to make sure I have everyone, and that everyone's picks are entered correctly.

2021 Perfect Portfolio Competition Spreadsheet
I must have forget to add my names. Hope its not too late.

My names are AVGO, NKE, LMT, CTAS and PSX
(01-14-2021, 03:35 PM)stockguru Wrote: I must have forget to add my names. Hope its not too late.

You are added.
(01-14-2021, 03:35 PM)stockguru Wrote: I must have forget to add my names. Hope its not too late.

I wouldn't be complete without you.  I need to do a little better job of tracking it this year.  Getting hit in the face with a brick last March was a bit distracting.  My real port got hammered so bad and the last thing I thought we needed was to learn we were all down 30% in a silly stock picking contest.   Smile 

Thanks for doing that Eric.  We should check it March 31st.
(12-31-2020, 10:43 AM)ChadR Wrote: GLOG preferred series A, AAPL, XOM (one of these years oil is going to come back), GD, and INGR.

(01-14-2021, 03:16 PM)EricL Wrote: Please check this list over to make sure I have everyone, and that everyone's picks are entered correctly.

Eric, you're missing GD from Chad. (there is 2x INGR in your spreadsheet)
Thanks a lot for taking the time to make the spreadsheet though, it really makes it easy to follow.

Somehow I'm not surprised I'm in the red right now. Big Grin
(01-14-2021, 11:41 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(12-31-2020, 10:43 AM)ChadR Wrote: GLOG preferred series A, AAPL, XOM (one of these years oil is going to come back), GD, and INGR.

(01-14-2021, 03:16 PM)EricL Wrote: Please check this list over to make sure I have everyone, and that everyone's picks are entered correctly.

Eric, you're missing GD from Chad. (there is 2x INGR in your spreadsheet)
Thanks a lot for taking the time to make the spreadsheet though, it really makes it easy to follow.

Somehow I'm not surprised I'm in the red right now. Big Grin

Thanks, I updated it.