Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Perfect Portfolio Competition
Second place. Not bad after bringing up the rear the previous few years.
(06-30-2021, 03:21 PM)ChadR Wrote: Second place.  Not bad after bringing up the rear the previous few years.
We knew you could do it Chad!  XOM took you for a ride to the basement in prior years IIRC?  I wanted to put VSTO in this year because it is my pet SPEC.  But it was too expensive DEC 31.  Actually it wasn't lol.

Normally I wouldn't worry Ken is winning because he has 3X leverage, but it's triple retail so we are in trouble heading into Christmas shopping towards the end on contest. It would be hard for him to lose this.
USDP (oil transport) has also more than doubled this year, which I suspected it would because pre-pandemic it traded over $10. I had them for a while and the dividend (currently 6%) has always been nice. However, that darn schedule K. It messes up the tax statements from E*Trade every year; they just list the cost basis as 0. I eventually decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
(06-30-2021, 03:37 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(06-30-2021, 03:21 PM)ChadR Wrote: Second place.  Not bad after bringing up the rear the previous few years.
We knew you could do it Chad!  XOM took you for a ride to the basement in prior years IIRC?  I wanted to put VSTO in this year because it is my pet SPEC.  But it was too expensive DEC 31.  Actually it wasn't lol.

Normally I wouldn't worry Ken is winning because he has 3X leverage, but it's triple retail so we are in trouble heading into Christmas shopping towards the end on contest. It would be hard for him to lose this.

His lead is absolutely ridiculous.
However, there is 6 months left where anything can happen. And it is 3x. Big Grin
(06-30-2021, 09:56 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:

However, there is 6 months left where anything can happen. And it is 3x. Big Grin

Gulp.  Competition aside, I've got $17k in that sucker so I hope it continues to climb but yeah it's probably too good to be true.
When I have some spare time I will punch in the first and last place entries from 2019 and 2020. I would be interested to see how they aged with DRP. Sector rotation blesses or dooms you in a short duration contest.
(06-30-2021, 09:56 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:

If anything brings me down, it isn't RETL ... it's ORC.  That value trap is in free fall.  Now down to $5.04.  Glad I got out around $5.40.  Interestingly, they haven't cut the dividend yet.  Yield is approaching 15%.
Ultra high yielders walk a tightrope. They all get a turn if they pay an unsustainable Div.
Fyi, RETL just had a 5 for 1 split.
(10-25-2021, 11:59 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Fyi, RETL just had a 5 for 1 split.

Looks to me that the prices shown are correct, right?
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
There will be no leveraged ETFs in the 2022 competition. Smile We completely blew up the dividend stock picking theme.
(10-25-2021, 01:25 PM)EricL Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 11:59 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Fyi, RETL just had a 5 for 1 split.

Looks to me that the prices shown are correct, right?

Yes, I found your spreadsheet and it looks right.

(10-25-2021, 01:58 PM)fenders53 Wrote: There will be no leveraged ETFs in the 2022 competition.  Smile  We completely blew up the dividend stock picking theme.

Fine  Big Grin  SOXX instead of SOXL.  I still say semiconductors will have a huge year. Unless the rules change and everything has to return 1.5%+. ORCL returns 1.30% so it would be out too.