Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APPLE
Apple is one of those value stocks hiding in plain sight. A phenomenal balance sheet, fantastic cash flow and trading at 11 PE.
I don't know why people/investors think that Apple is just a device company, they forget Apple's backbone is first and foremost a software company. Simply put, it's a great company and the numbers don't lie, the quality of their products do not lie. 

Sent from my Lenovo T540p
(04-07-2016, 05:37 AM)rayray Wrote: I don't know why people/investors think that Apple is just a device company, they forget Apple's backbone is first and foremost a software company. Simply put, it's a great company and the numbers don't lie, the quality of their products do not lie. 

Sent from my Lenovo T540p

I'm not super familiar with Apple but isn't the software side very much tied to their devices? I mean, I honestly can't think of a single apple software that people would be using on devices from other manufacturers. If you take away the devices that they manufacture, who will be using their software?
(04-07-2016, 07:05 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I'm not super familiar with Apple but isn't the software side very much tied to their devices? I mean, I honestly can't think of a single apple software that people would be using on devices from other manufacturers. If you take away the devices that they manufacture, who will be using their software?

That's my impression, too, crimsonghost747.  If their next device isn't cool, then what?
(04-07-2016, 09:30 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: That's my impression, too, crimsonghost747.  If their next device isn't cool, then what?

It is absolutely true that even the best tech company ever needs a lot more monitoring and worry than, say, a PG or KO. And I agree that Apple's software and hardware are inseparable. I'm far less worried about the next device not being cool than about a whole new technology / approach coming out of left field somewhere and turning Apple into the next RIM. But overall, for the time being, I sleep just fine with 5 percent of my DG portfolio in Apple.
(04-07-2016, 09:30 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 07:05 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I'm not super familiar with Apple but isn't the software side very much tied to their devices? I mean, I honestly can't think of a single apple software that people would be using on devices from other manufacturers. If you take away the devices that they manufacture, who will be using their software?

That's my impression, too, crimsonghost747.  If their next device isn't cool, then what?
Their next device hasn't been cool in 5 years and yet their sales get better every year... It's more about the marketing and the branding than the products.

I'd be more concerned if I started seeing fanboys being less fanboys... But I see the opposite, it seems like fanboyism is reaching new heights!
I went through quarterly/annual reports and pulled the numbers for the Apple Services segment (back in Sep 2015). Here's the article link.

Agreed that Apple could become un-cool anytime, but the company has stayed ahead of the game and keeping a tight control. Speaking of fanboys, I used to hate Apple products years ago, but finally switched to Apple products and services now over the last couple of years -- and love the fact that all my devices work seamlessly. Not looking back anymore Smile

That is what is attractive about Apple - they have multiple products and the ecosystem ties everything together well (esp now that each person owns/uses multiple devices). And it works out of the box. You dont need to spend hours setting things up to work together. So, as a end-user/consumer, color me impressed and happy.
(04-07-2016, 01:03 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: I went through quarterly/annual reports and pulled the numbers for the Apple Services segment (back in Sep 2015). Here's the article link.

Agreed that Apple could become un-cool anytime, but the company has stayed ahead of the game and keeping a tight control. Speaking of fanboys, I used to hate Apple products years ago, but finally switched to Apple products and services now over the last couple of years -- and love the fact that all my devices work seamlessly. Not looking back anymore Smile

That is what is attractive about Apple - they have multiple products and the ecosystem ties everything together well (esp now that each person owns/uses multiple devices). And it works out of the box. You dont need to spend hours setting things up to work together. So, as a end-user/consumer, color me impressed and happy.

That is the number one reason why I have never owned an apple device. Their products might work well with other apple products but their compatibility with ANYTHING not apple (ie 99% of the devices in the world) is absolutely terrible.

And yes, I do realise it's done on purpose. And I hate that even more than the compatibility issues.
I am not a super technical guy when it comes to computers and the sort.

I use the android and windows based puters, but there is 3 Apple puters and 2 iphones in our household.

I will use the Mac from time to time and love the spam and usability of the Apple products, the prices bother me though " you get what you pay for".

I will say it did take me some time to even get on the Apple puters.

My next puter will probably be a Mac. Phone will stay Android as I understand and like the platform.

I just dont get the HATRED by so many for APPL, Im not a fan of Ford but dont spend time bashing it. Reading SA there are so many haters, if you hate it, dont follow it, simple, really.

That being said, you dont necessarily have to like the companies you invest in, you just have to be happy with what you get back.
Good for you Jimbo. I personally have never owned a PC (I use them only for work). I have been buying Apple products since the 90's when you could only buy an Apple computer at Sears, and you had to buy any software (limited) on-line. For someone who is non-technical, they are the way to go.

I wish I would have been buying the stock back then, but sadly I wasn't.

As to the stock, I made my first purchase at $94 a few months ago. I will be happily buying if it reaches that level again. This is going to be a company that will dominate for a long time.
Any ideas about AAPL with current price? Its 8% down afterhours and soon might be close to 52 week low. P/E looks good as well as payout ratio.
Apple's gross margin at 39.4% and iPhone ASP at $642; higher dividend declared
OMG OMG OMG... SELL SELL SELL!

It has "only" done 50B in quarterly sales...

"Other" products are growing 30%... So maybe Apple should consider a spin off of its iPhone division to be considered a growing company again

What worries me the most is the $233B in cash outside the US (90% of it all), but I'll still add up tomorrow around 11am, when I'm guessing auto traders will sense the bottom of this panic and will start buying again.