Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Perfect Portfolio Competition
When we are done I will consolidate our short picks into one post so we can give them a glance now and then. We'll see who loses their virtual house when a couple of them 10X lol.
T, NEE, XOM, MO, IIPR
I am fairly confident I’ll embarrass myself. My pick are TSLA, AVGO, HON, UNH & NKE.
Same here, but I value my kneecaps....
ABBV,LMT,MO,MSFT,STOR
(12-30-2020, 04:41 PM)MikeWa Wrote: Same here, but I value my kneecaps....
ABBV,LMT,MO,MSFT,STOR

LOL Mike, I'll call my goons and take you off the list now.   Smile

I see some patterns here.  A lot of military defense contractors for one.  This does look like a decent entry point.  It was tougher to find value this year.  

As a reminder it is OK to change your mind until JAN 4th.  It would be best if you just edit the original post where you listed the stocks.
STZ

ARKK

T

HD

PM
WTH is this T love all about? I own some shares just in case you guys are right. Smile I am thinking hard about adding an ARK ETF to my picks.
I am just as confused as you are about this T lovers thread. It is a relatively safe pick at these levels... so are you guys expecting some sort of a bigger market crash in 2021?
GLOG preferred series A, AAPL, XOM (one of these years oil is going to come back), GD, and INGR.
(12-31-2020, 02:54 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I am just as confused as you are about this T lovers thread. It is a relatively safe pick at these levels... so are you guys expecting some sort of a bigger market crash in 2021?

Well the entry price is decent.  Same for oil and tobacco.  I have no opinion where they will be one year from now, but they should bounce at some point this year.

Just for fun I am going to guess this years winner is in the 15% range, after a bumpy ride at some point early in the year.
(12-17-2020, 08:14 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's that time of year again.  2020 contest will wrap up soon.  2020 wasn't so fun as the Covid crash whipped most of us.  Divemenow has stolen my crown for 2020.  We'll see who takes it this year.

We'll keep it fairly simple again.  It will run from JAN 1 to DEC 31 2021.  Try to have your picks in by very early January, but we can keep it open a few extra days to get more participants.

1.  Pick five stocks. Not confined to the US.  One of the stocks may be an ETF but index funds such as S&P500 is discouraged.  We are trying to use our individual stock picking abilities.      
2.  Let's keep the DGI forum theme, but I don't want to be overly limiting so minimum 1.0% dividend yield is OK this year. That will eliminate penny stocks.     
3.  If you wish, you may waive the dividend rules for one stock or ETF.  Add a leveraged ETF or even a hedge ETF if you wish.    
4.  Make some attempt at diversification like you would if this was your real port.  Two tech stocks or two industrials is fine, two chip stocks or two auto manufacturers is not.  

EDIT:  I lowered the minimum dividend requirement to 1% for 2021.  Many quality DGI stocks have appreciated their dividend under the previous 1 1/2% threshold.  

Although I started this, I am open to your ideas for rule changes.  Suggestions welcomed but we need them within a few days. 

We won't use it for scoring, but just for fun throw out your best "short" candidate.  (No dividend requirement) We'll see how much you would have won or lost committing to short 100 shares for an entire year.  We aren't scoring it as that would be a crazy commitment.        

I want to play but I don't know how this works.  I see everyone just listing 5 stocks.  Is it something like "imagine you put $2000 into each stock on Jan 1, who comes out with the highest total value on Dec 31st"?
(01-05-2021, 10:59 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 08:14 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's that time of year again.  2020 contest will wrap up soon.  2020 wasn't so fun as the Covid crash whipped most of us.  Divemenow has stolen my crown for 2020.  We'll see who takes it this year.

We'll keep it fairly simple again.  It will run from JAN 1 to DEC 31 2021.  Try to have your picks in by very early January, but we can keep it open a few extra days to get more participants.

1.  Pick five stocks. Not confined to the US.  One of the stocks may be an ETF but index funds such as S&P500 is discouraged.  We are trying to use our individual stock picking abilities.      
2.  Let's keep the DGI forum theme, but I don't want to be overly limiting so minimum 1.0% dividend yield is OK this year. That will eliminate penny stocks.     
3.  If you wish, you may waive the dividend rules for one stock or ETF.  Add a leveraged ETF or even a hedge ETF if you wish.    
4.  Make some attempt at diversification like you would if this was your real port.  Two tech stocks or two industrials is fine, two chip stocks or two auto manufacturers is not.  

EDIT:  I lowered the minimum dividend requirement to 1% for 2021.  Many quality DGI stocks have appreciated their dividend under the previous 1 1/2% threshold.  

Although I started this, I am open to your ideas for rule changes.  Suggestions welcomed but we need them within a few days. 

We won't use it for scoring, but just for fun throw out your best "short" candidate.  (No dividend requirement) We'll see how much you would have won or lost committing to short 100 shares for an entire year.  We aren't scoring it as that would be a crazy commitment.        

I want to play but I don't know how this works.  I see everyone just listing 5 stocks.  Is it something like "imagine you put $2000 into each stock on Jan 1, who comes out with the highest total value on Dec 31st"?

Yes, read the rules above but the short version is...  pick five stocks, the theme is generally DGI because it's a DGI forum, but you can have one stock or an ETF with no dividend for a fast grower diversification.  The other four should have a yield of 1 1/2% or higher.  Make a reasonable attempt at diversification.  (Five tech stocks is not diversification, but a couple is fine)  It's just for fun, keep the spirit of the game.  We'll cut this off Friday close but beginning date for calculating return is JAN 1 2021.  No fair grabbing a stock that ran 20% this week lol.  Just have fun.  Nobody is here to split hairs on the rules.  From time to time one of us will punch the ports into a website and see how we are doing. Dividends do count but we generally wait until the end and see if yield breaks the tie.  And pick a short candidate.  That is not calculated, just for fun.  That is plenty complicated enough which isn't actually the intent.

EDIT: I have stated 1% and also 1 1/2% minimum yield rule in this thread. Too late now, just pick one. Smile