Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
WMB
QCOM
GILD

I usually wait till the end of the day before I make an investment, not today, I went against my regular pattern. WMB was an add and the other two have been companies I've been watching and waiting for a while. ROTH purchases, investments that won't be touched for about 20 years. I just don't buy all the negativity surrounding QCOM, IOT/IOE/M2M/Mobile, it's going to grow and I'm counting on QCOM being a part of it. WMB? Alright, it's been hit hard and it's a growing business. GILD? I'm not passing this puppy up. It was either GILD or APPL and one is more then a full position.
A little more DEO. I see better value out there but really trying to spread my money around after so much concentration recently.

(01-08-2016, 11:15 AM)rapidacid Wrote: A little more DEO. I see better value out there but really trying to spread my money around after so much concentration recently.

Does DEO entail any foreign-stock nuances? I assume the tax treatment is different and requires some different record-keeping than US stocks?
I know for a ROTH, DEO (ADR) gets hit with a small processing fee. Being in the UK, there is a Tax Treaty between them and the U.S. Other then the small process fee my dividends are free and clear in the ROTH.

FWIW
Yeah my understanding is it's the same as UL.
(01-10-2016, 11:36 AM)Dividendsrule Wrote: Yeah my understanding is it's the same as UL.

I went through my account and I made a mistake, no ADR pass through fees for DEO but there is a pass through fee with UL. Both companies are U.K. businesses and are subjected to taxes unless held in a retirement account such as an IRA due to U.S./U.K. tax treaties. The pass through fees are small, average 1 to 3 cents per share and are collected when dividends are paid, you'll see the fee on your statement.

On a side note, foreign taxes are held from that respective country before cash dividends reach your account.
Half position in TROW at $64.75.
I was looking to buy some AGU, is there any tax implication because it's a CA company?
If it's in a taxable account, there will be 15% withholding. Though when you file your tax return, you will get it back by claiming the foreign tax credit form 1116. This is assuming you are an American citizen.
(01-14-2016, 03:04 PM)ChadR Wrote: If it's in a taxable account, there will be 15% withholding.  Though when you file your tax return, you will get it back by claiming the foreign tax credit form 1116.  This is assuming you are an American citizen.

Thank you, it's too much work, I can't trust myself to remember to do it right in ~14 months from now
Your 1099-DIV will have the total you paid in foreign taxes. Pretty easy form to do unless you're doing your return by hand.
Just bought a little more BRK-B.