Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Decided to make my small accumulation of XOM premarket. Got a fill at $67.26. Next buy point, around $61, once again, perhaps in October.
Alex
150 XOM at 67.17, Vanguard crashed so I couldn't enter the rest of my orders

I thought this is funny, from Vanguard

"The page you're trying to reach is currently unavailable. This may be a temporary error, so please try again. If the problem persists, contact us."
i didn't buy anything yet...I may be kicking myself but I think we're going way lower. I think this is going to be a slow motion trainwreck. Economy never really recovered and Fed confidence is waining. I'm looking for FAR greater bargains. Although, XOM @ $61 would be a buy Big Grin

I think everyone has been so conditioned to BTFD and from the 2008/2009 crash that we'll move recover and move higher quickly. They'll all panic when we remain lower for an extended period of time as the Global economy remains sluggish. Just my 2 cents.

Be safe out there and don't panic...embrace it!
I would rather feather down and back up than to try and time the absolute bottom. Today's buys may look really good a lot sooner than many of us would think. My buys today were really more of a flip. Got rid of a large temporary weak position (TNK), and substituted XOM VGK DLS KMF KED FM COP which are part of my long term portfolio and IMO are much stronger holdings. FM is a new position but is intended as long exposure to smaller emerging markets.
Alex
Initiated a position in Starbucks Corp (SBUX)
http://roadmap2retire.com/2015/08/recent-buy-17/
My portfolio didn't have any loose cash, but I had sold NPBC in my wife's portfolio due to it being acquired. Used the proceeds to top off TUP and increase her position in INTC.
Bought more RDSB and hope to get some more XOM at 64 (be glad to buy everyone a beer if I could get it at 61). I frankly have no idea what the shape of this correction is going to look like and just took advantage of the volatility to buy into oil related equities whose long term technicals look as good as ever (ok till they commercialize cold fusionSmile)
Munched up some JNJ at $94 a share =D
Got together a little bit of cash and grabbed 12 more shares of CVX.
I'm munching on the energy stocks as well. Probably no hurry before October though. Prices will likely be a good bit lower by then. My modest energy buys today:
20 COP at $41.75
50 XOM at $67.41 av.
50 KMF at $21.71
50 KED at $20.98

Also picked up:
20 DLS International small cap ETF at $55.10
25 VGK International Europe ETF at $49.85
100 FM Frontier Market ETF at $24.70

My modest accumulation points will only trigger $800-$1200 buys for the most part. Today's 50 share purchase of XOM was an accident because I forgot to cancel a 25 share GTC that filled. Most of my positions are in the $7000- $14000 range, and at 10%-15% drops, they will be pushed back up to the target dollar amount. Basically, their weightings will be increasing with the market drop as my cash weighting decreases. The ratios between various holdings will stay pretty steady unless something counter trends a dropping market.
Alex
What do you think of NOV?
Have never looked at them before. From a glance at Yahoo stats: With the mountain of cash on the books and fairly conservative payout ratio. They would appear to me to be among the survivors of this brutal energy market. They probably would be smart to cut the dividend and conserve cash. I have no in depth knowledge but based upon this overview am inclined to add the ticker to my motif that has several other strong businesses from the oil services sector. I generally like companies that have relatively low debt and large amounts of cash.
Alex