Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Nice. I bought FAST a few months ago, but will add if it breaks below 40. Every month FAST and GWW report comp sales growth, and it's been trending downward all year due to oil customers and Canadian dollar weakness. FAST comps (around 8%) are still way higher than GWW (2% organic but -1% with currency, reported this morning).
(08-13-2015, 02:50 PM)EricL Wrote: Sold British Petroleum (BP)

I'd be interested to hear how you came to this decision

(08-13-2015, 03:10 PM)rapidacid Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 02:50 PM)EricL Wrote: Sold British Petroleum (BP)

I'd be interested to hear how you came to this decision

I needed to sell something to free up funds to buy the new positions. I am already overweight oil and like XOM, OXY, CVX, COP, EOG, etc. more than I do BP.

I think both FAST and UPS are trading at attractive valuations and have a clearer path to growth than BP does. I give up some dividends, but think over the long run the much higher growth rates will more than make up for it.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(08-13-2015, 03:14 PM)EricL Wrote: I needed to sell something to free up funds to buy the new positions. I am already overweight oil and like XOM, OXY, CVX, COP, EOG, etc. more than I do BP.

All other things ( portfolio weighting, subjective preference, etc. ) being equal I view COP as much weaker than BP right now

Anywho ... I loaded up on more CMI today ... now a top 20 holding for me

15 shares of CVX @83.55

I'm overweight in oil now, but since both XOM and CVX are trading at such attractive prices, I figured I'd take advantage!
Initiated a position in Brookfield Infrastrucutre Partners LP (BIP). Starting yield 5.2%, 5-yr DGR 12.6%. Details shared here.
Very active today selling lots of options.

Accumulating QCOM

More XOM.
(08-20-2015, 02:16 PM)Kerim Wrote: More XOM.

Hi Kerim, what your thoughts on RDS and CVX versus XOM please?
(08-20-2015, 02:23 PM)jim Wrote:

I'm afraid my answer will not be so helpful or satisfying. My job prohibits me from investing in CVX, so I don't follow it super closely. My sense is that it is an excellent company and the yield is incredibly tempting. If not for my job constraint, I am pretty certain I'd have some shares of it, though right now I think I'd still be buying XOM. Regarding RDS, I don't have a good reason other than I can't study every company, and the non-US ones tend to turn me off somewhat. I don't know if there are tax implications or paperwork, and I don't want to think or worry about it. Right now, I am scratching my yield itch by nibbling on the health care REITs.

For oil, I think XOM is the biggest and the best, especially in terms of long-term safety. Yes, its yield is lower, but 3.89 percent is plenty nice for me, especially when it is coming from such a giant, stable company. It feels like a no-brainer to me to be stocking up on this core holding while it is at multi-year lows and sporting a yield not seen since....??? Yes, it could go lower still, and who knows what black swan could be right around the corner?

Really, all my yapping about XOM should not suggest that I think it is superior to all other alternatives. But I do know that I want a big position in XOM in the portfolio I am constructing, and you better believe I'm going to buy while prices are down and yields are up!
Closed off a couple of shorter term investments, capping the loss to a tolerable level. Added an incremental amount to get IDV back into its target weighting range. Going forward, will likely just buy to preserve current weightings. If VBR, VIG, or VOE drop to 12 months lows, about another 10% down, will consider buying some or all for a cumulative weighting of about 10%. That will represent my first move into the broader US market.
Alex
(08-20-2015, 04:42 PM)Kerim Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 02:23 PM)jim Wrote:

I'm afraid my answer will not be so helpful or satisfying. My job prohibits me from investing in CVX, so I don't follow it super closely. My sense is that it is an excellent company and the yield is incredibly tempting. If not for my job constraint, I am pretty certain I'd have some shares of it, though right now I think I'd still be buying XOM. Regarding RDS, I don't have a good reason other than I can't study every company, and the non-US ones tend to turn me off somewhat. I don't know if there are tax implications or paperwork, and I don't want to think or worry about it. Right now, I am scratching my yield itch by nibbling on the health care REITs.

For oil, I think XOM is the biggest and the best, especially in terms of long-term safety. Yes, its yield is lower, but 3.89 percent is plenty nice for me, especially when it is coming from such a giant, stable company. It feels like a no-brainer to me to be stocking up on this core holding while it is at multi-year lows and sporting a yield not seen since....??? Yes, it could go lower still, and who knows what black swan could be right around the corner?

Really, all my yapping about XOM should not suggest that I think it is superior to all other alternatives. But I do know that I want a big position in XOM in the portfolio I am constructing, and you better believe I'm going to buy while prices are down and yields are up!

Kerim, I appreciate your taking the time to give me your feedbacks; you provided me plenty to think about really.

I also think XOM is a no brainer (bought a bunch today just about the same time I saw your post) however being extra conservative I try to spread it around a little just in case XOM management wanders). I until recently worked for an oil services company that disallowed employees from owing E&P stocks, now I am free to buy anything I likeSmile

I am starting to build a dividend paying portfolio, may I ask what REITs you're interested in please.

Thanks a lot