Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(07-27-2015, 09:23 PM)rayray Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 02:20 PM)jim Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 08:45 PM)rayray Wrote: I rounded out with the top 5 Canadian banks.

KMI added

UNP added

WPC added

I'm done for the year except for the divi's that will be mostly dripped unless in my brokerage account.

Aren't you concerned about KMI current high payout ratio? What your rationale if you don't mind my asking please?

KMI's dividend for the time being is safe, between fee based and it's hedging of oil--85 percent fee based and 94 percent fee based hedged for calender year 2015. This way of business also goes for calender years 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019--different numbers of course. In other words, it's not only safe but KMI will most likely reach it's dividend goal of 2 dollars for 2015. One also has to remember that there is a lot more to Kinder Morgan then just oil, they are a well diversified transportation (toll) company, they have more pipes then anyone plus they're growing their businesses--pushing 84k miles of pipes with over 18 billion dollars in projects backlogged. If you think of an energy source, Kinder Morgan transports the product, they are that well diversified.

This is a well oiled machine, no pun intended, okay maybe a little bit!

Oil will recover, I don't know when but it will, so, one of my options is to purchase stocks such as KMI.

Thank you!
No problem Jim.

Please remember I'm not a financial expert and even though I feel strongly about KMI there might be something I'm missing or maybe what is working for me might not work for someone else due to something as simple as timing and financial goals.
Had new cash hit my account yesterday.

Added to my CMI position this morning at $128.25, good for a yield of just over 3%.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(07-28-2015, 11:56 AM)EricL Wrote: Had new cash hit my account yesterday.

Added to my CMI position this morning at $128.25, good for a yield of just over 3%.

thumbsup.jpg ... I really like where this company is heading

ETN today, will probably buy either DOW or UTX next week.

Just realized ETN is a foreign stock, does that become a pain at tax time?
(07-31-2015, 11:16 PM)navyasw02 Wrote: Just realized ETN is a foreign stock, does that become a pain at tax time?

It's an extra step, although not really a pain in my experience using TurboTax. As long as I can reclaim the withholding at the end of the year, I pay it no mind for companies in my taxable account. A fraction of a dividend is a tiny amount of money anyway.

The funny thing about ETN is I believe they stated that 100% of dividends in 2015 would be paid as return of capital. I'd want to know more about that.

I've been a buyer of UTX at these levels. Just watch out for China.
(08-01-2015, 12:49 PM)earthtodan Wrote:
(07-31-2015, 11:16 PM)navyasw02 Wrote: Just realized ETN is a foreign stock, does that become a pain at tax time?

It's an extra step, although not really a pain in my experience using TurboTax. As long as I can reclaim the withholding at the end of the year, I pay it no mind for companies in my taxable account. A fraction of a dividend is a tiny amount of money anyway.

The funny thing about ETN is I believe they stated that 100% of dividends in 2015 would be paid as return of capital. I'd want to know more about that.

I've been a buyer of UTX at these levels. Just watch out for China.

Looks like the website says there's no Irish tax withholding so that's good. I might think about it this weekend and sell for UTX, that was another on my watch list as well after the massive drop last week.

On a bigger note, seems kinda sad that major companies founded in the US are moving overseas. Looks like STX is also in Ireland. Tax shelters maybe?
(07-31-2015, 11:16 PM)navyasw02 Wrote: ETN today, will probably buy either DOW or UTX next week.

Just realized ETN is a foreign stock, does that become a pain at tax time?

Some brokerages (Schwab for me) won't reinvest dividends in foreign stocks, so that is a consideration if you intend to reinvest.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Put off buying UTX or DOW and doubled down on AAPL today, it's cheaper than what I paid for it at the start of the year.
Well, I haven't decided but there is a strong possibility I'll be dumping BXLT, BAX and while I'm thinking about it, probably South32ooooooooooooooooooo.
Averaged down on UNP @ 95.45......Looking to add to TROW, AAPL, and initiate CMI as well.
Initiated a position in Canadian Utilities Ltd (CU.TO)
Yield: 3.24%
Div Growth: 43 years. 5-yr DGR = 8.7%