Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
79 units of MMP when it went below $69.30

Ronn
Initiated a small position in Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO). Details shared here.
Sold all of my shares of CRUS for a nice overall gain--depends on AAPL too much and I'm not selling AAPL! Nothing against CRUS, like the company a lot just doesn't fit into my strategy.

Initiated new position in VTR
This earning's season has produced some surprising buying opportunities. Major drops or hitting 52 week lows for APPL, DOW, DOV, UTX, EMR, NSC, amongst a few make me wish I had more money to put in.
(07-23-2015, 11:49 PM)navyasw02 Wrote: This earning's season has produced some surprising buying opportunities. Major drops or hitting 52 week lows for APPL, DOW, DOV, UTX, EMR, NSC, amongst a few make me wish I had more money to put in.

You are absolutely right! I always tell myself to have 5% of my portfolio in cash but every time I have a cash pile I look at it as loosing money, the money is not making money! Then I buy something, the good news is that no matter how high the market is there is always something available at a fair price if one looks.
Bought yesterday MMM, DOW and BX
Just bought some more XOM -- had to have some shares below $80 for my collection!
Lesson learned about keeping cash on hand. I too get a little jumpy if I have money not earning money. But man I wish I had some of the cash now :-(

On the other hand, very please with my MMP purchase.

Ronn
I rounded out with the top 5 Canadian banks.

KMI added

UNP added

WPC added

I'm done for the year except for the divi's that will be mostly dripped unless in my brokerage account.
Was planning on setting up a buy order for both CM.TO and BCE.TO for the week. CM dropped almost 1% right after open so I decided not to mess around and grabbed myself some shares. Put in a buy order for BCE at a little under 53CAD hoping it will hit later on in the week. I rarely do it like this, I'd rather wait and see what happens but I won't have access to the internet during the week so I'm hoping BCE drops a bit more and I get my shares.
(07-24-2015, 08:45 PM)rayray Wrote: I rounded out with the top 5 Canadian banks.

KMI added

UNP added

WPC added

I'm done for the year except for the divi's that will be mostly dripped unless in my brokerage account.

Aren't you concerned about KMI current high payout ratio? What your rationale if you don't mind my asking please?
(07-27-2015, 02:20 PM)jim Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 08:45 PM)rayray Wrote: I rounded out with the top 5 Canadian banks.

KMI added

UNP added

WPC added

Aren't you concerned about KMI current high payout ratio? What your rationale if you don't mind my asking please?

KMI's dividend for the time being is safe, between fee based and it's hedging of oil--85 percent fee based and 94 percent fee based hedged for calender year 2015. This way of business also goes for calender years 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019--different numbers of course. In other words, it's not only safe but KMI will most likely reach it's dividend goal of 2 dollars for 2015. One also has to remember that there is a lot more to Kinder Morgan then just oil, they are a well diversified transportation (toll) company, they have more pipes then anyone plus they're growing their businesses--pushing 84k miles of pipes with over 18 billion dollars in projects backlogged. If you think of an energy source, Kinder Morgan transports the product, they are that well diversified.

This is a well oiled machine, no pun intended, okay maybe a little bit!

Oil will recover, I don't know when but it will, so, one of my options is to purchase stocks such as KMI.