Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Bought some BHP Billiton @ 15.02/share on LSE.
+65% more PH

[Image: U7p9KRt.png]
Bought GORO again. Third trip in under three weeks. Nice volatility play, plus pays 3.5% if held longer term. While I've been using GORO as a trading vehicle, it actually passes the screen as a deep value stock. The company has almost no debt. Has a ton of cash on hand. Forward p/e of 5 according to Yahoo. Has a big pay out ratio but enough cash to cover the dividend for four years. Traded up to $6.35 as recently as August, so plenty of upside potential. Low for the past year is $2.70.
Alex
Initiated a new position in Amgen (AMGN) yesterday
Initiated a position in BBL.
Added to my "Halo" stock...MMM
(02-11-2015, 05:51 PM)kayboy Wrote: Added to my "Halo" stock...MMM

I've never bought it because it's always too expensive, and I've always regretted that decision later.
(02-11-2015, 06:00 PM)earthtodan Wrote:

I've never bought it because it's always too expensive, and I've always regretted that decision later.

1yr. return-27.8%
5yr. return-110.9%
It is expensive and it rarely goes on sale. I have it in a Trad. IRA/Brokerage Account. I plan on funding this account with $6500/yr. ("make-up" limit) solely invested in MMM until I'm forced to take RMDs. I haven't been able to find ANY good reason not to.
(02-11-2015, 11:32 PM)kayboy Wrote:

1yr. return-27.8%
5yr. return-110.9%
It is expensive and it rarely goes on sale. I have it in a Trad. IRA/Brokerage Account. I plan on funding this account with $6500/yr. ("make-up" limit) solely invested in MMM until I'm forced to take RMDs. I haven't been able to find ANY good reason not to.

I would strongly urge you not to invest your IRA solely in MMM, unless you have a healthy diversification in other retirement accounts/annuities/pensions, etc.
(02-12-2015, 06:10 PM)fredr142 Wrote:
(02-11-2015, 11:32 PM)kayboy Wrote:

1yr. return-27.8%
5yr. return-110.9%

I would strongly urge you not to invest your IRA solely in MMM, unless you have a healthy diversification in other retirement accounts/annuities/pensions, etc.
I do. The $6500 in the IRA keeps me just inside the 15%tax bracket so, unless the laws are changed, dividends and long term capital gains in my taxable account are treated favorably. BUT...if I could ONLY hold one stock, it would be MMM.
Yep, I've seen too many investors who went hugely overweight in a great company where the investor had thoroughly done DD and felt that they understood the business model inside and out. With the case of NFI many investors were virtually wiped out. Of course that is a somewhat different story, as to how anyone would ever start to think of an MREIT as a very safe, hold forever kind of stock. But even when looking at big blue chip companies, the turnover rate on S&P500 companies being dropped from the index is astronomical. The same is true for members being dropped from the DOW, but not nearly to the same extent. I really like MMM, but I wouldn't pay $50-$75 for it a mere 4+ years ago, so sure as heck wouldn't pay $165 for it now. In a future down cycle, I may consider a few shares, next time the issue visits under $85. That day is most surely coming!
Alex
Initiated a position in Toronto-Dominion (TD)
+103% more STX