Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I think both stocks have a long way to go up. Nice dividends as well. But will say I'm not finding many bargains these days. Was thinking however to start a position in DE and GILD.
I added Abbott Labs (ABT) to my portfolio at $42.75.

Abbott had a nice earnings report this morning, beating both the top and bottom line and also has the upcoming St. Jude Medical (STJ) acquisition that should diversify and expand its offerings and help contribute to future growth. Dividend growth may slow for a year or so as it digests those costs, but in the long run I think Abbott will be a great company to partner with in my portfolio.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(07-20-2016, 09:46 AM)EricL Wrote: I added Abbott Labs (ABT) to my portfolio at $42.75.

Abbott had a nice earnings report this morning, beating both the top and bottom line and also has the upcoming St. Jude Medical (STJ) acquisition that should diversify and expand its offerings and help contribute to future growth. Dividend growth may slow for a year or so as it digests those costs, but in the long run I think Abbott will be a great company to partner with in my portfolio.

Agree with you on ABT, I entered the position by June 1st and it's been going up consistently since then. I look at their portfolio and feel very confident with it.

Today I added to my Disney position.
Okay, first time ever, I went 20% cash in my retirement accounts.

I did two things, and soon to be three....

1) Did an in-service 401k non taxable roll over into an IRA

2) Did a mortgage refi at 3.37%

3) SOON: Will be signing up for ProjectFi as my cell phone service. End of October.
(07-21-2016, 11:23 AM)rayray Wrote: 3) SOON: Will be signing up for ProjectFi as my cell phone service. End of October.

Never heard of ProjectFi.  What is that?
https://fi.google.com/about/?u=0
(07-21-2016, 06:32 PM)Rasec Wrote: https://fi.google.com/about/?u=0

Yep, that's it!  Thanks Rasec. Been working long hours and have class a couple of nights a week.

I've done research between Cricket, Republic Wireless and then came across ProjectFi and that's who I decided to try next.
Added to my HON holding today. Love the sale price. Also took a new position in DE today. I sold UNP after getting in at lows.
(07-22-2016, 09:15 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added to my HON holding today. Love the sale price. Also took a new position in DE today. I sold UNP after getting in at lows.

I would say that HON is far from being at a sale price, it's only a few months ago that $115 was an all time high.
That being said, I'm considering adding a tiny bit on Monday if I can get it for around that. It's an amazing company.
I looked back 10 years on my portfolio and I noticed I never had more then 7 months of positive gains, right now, I'm at 6 months of gains. I realize that it's a market of stocks and not a stock market but I've been waiting for a correction for about 3 years, we had one in oil, but not an overall correction. I think we're due and I'm sitting on 25% cash. And I never sit on cash, ever.

Unless it's a nice margin of safety I'm not buying anything.
(07-23-2016, 10:05 AM)rayray Wrote: I looked back 10 years on my portfolio and I noticed I never had more then 7 months of positive gains, right now, I'm at 6 months of gains. I realize that it's a market of stocks and not a stock market but I've been waiting for a correction for about 3 years, we had one in oil, but not an overall correction. I think we're due and I'm sitting on 25% cash. And I never sit on cash, ever.

Unless it's a nice margin of safety I'm not buying anything.

I'm kind of struggling with this too. I've been without much income for the past year so buys have been really limited, now I've signed a short term contract with a very nice salary... so I'm really behind on my investments and now I will have the opportunity to catch up but the prices are really high. And as I said, it's potentially a really short stint so I can't count on having a good income long-term.

It's hard to find great deals in today's market. Then again I've been saying that for 1.5 years now. I remember posting here about how I bought some more RTN at $115 and how I felt horrible buying it at ATH... looking back at it, it doesn't look like such a big mistake now. And I know that in 20 years I can look back and say that it was a good buy. So I think I'm still keeping that approach, while the valuations are not where I would like to see them, I still think that in the long run most of the investments which I make will be good ones. I might get them cheaper if I wait a few months, I might not be able to get them for this price ever again. As we all know, it's hard to time the market.

I certainly haven't made up my mind as to how to utilise my salary. But a part of it will get invested, even at current prices.
One thing you have to remember is you go all cash you may miss the run. Seen it happen many times then you have to chase stocks. But with that said there are still some high quality stocks at bargain prices. DE, GILD, DIS, LUV, CVS, KR and that's just to name a few. With the downgrade today of DE I was able to buy more $77.84.