Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi. SA Refugee Dave Van Knapp
Yes this is early 2000s software here.
If folks know of or have happily used more modern forum software, I'd be very happy to investigate. I've never been very satisfied with this (uses MYBB), but when I was looking around it was simple and free and easy. I'm sure there are more intuitive options by now with more / better features.
(12-10-2021, 11:11 AM)Kerim Wrote: If folks know of or have happily used more modern forum software, I'd be very happy to investigate. I've never been very satisfied with this (uses MYBB), but when I was looking around it was simple and free and easy. I'm sure there are more intuitive options by now with more / better features.

I'm on a sports forum that uses vBulletin - which I believe you have to pay for. I haven't dug into everything here but from what I can see, vBulletin doesn't add anything. In fact, discussion threads I've seen suggest MYBB as the best free option. Discourse and phpBB are the others that get mentioned.
Dave, welcome!
(12-10-2021, 11:11 AM)Kerim Wrote: If folks know of or have happily used more modern forum software, I'd be very happy to investigate. I've never been very satisfied with this (uses MYBB), but when I was looking around it was simple and free and easy. I'm sure there are more intuitive options by now with more / better features.
Kerim,

You are doing this to be nice with no plans to monetize as far as I know.  Divmenow is knowledgeable on what you can get for free or inexpensively.  I think most will agree this software is functional.  Unless a lot of forum members wish to contribute $20 so you can keep it running a couple years then don't worry about it.   I suspect most will just enjoy the free cake and everything will be fine.  This software has a few odd glitches but it's not hurting anyone.
Welcome Dave, I consider myself a fan and have benefited from many articles/posts you wrote on various channels.