Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-25-2021, 10:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(08-25-2021, 02:07 PM)vbin Wrote: Makes sense. I have never used DKS or seen it being used in my circle so I was surprised by the earnings. Looks like they have larger presence in other areas.

I was thinking the same thing, but then again I don't really ask my friends where they do all their shopping.
DKS has superstores around here. Ours is about the same size as a Super Wal-Mart. Half the inventory here isn't city kid toys but sells big. Especially if there is no Cabela's Bass Pro Shops etc. around. I really shouldn't have missed this one as they have many of the same product categories as VSTO that I'm always hyping.
Around here DKS is a clothing store with some sports stuff along the outer walls. Never go there myself.
(08-25-2021, 06:32 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Around here DKS is a clothing store with some sports stuff along the outer walls. Never go there myself.
I think that was the primary floor plan until not that many years back.  They died with brick and mortar.  The one near me is like a dept store with mid level gear for fishing, hunting, fitness, golf etc.  Not just the lowest margin China trash an enthusiast of any sport can get everywhere. They better get online right or I am guessing they will eat the square footage stores in a recession.  My store is truly huge and well stocked with quality items. I'm not thinking about buying DKS here.  The stars just aligned for them.  

On a side note, DKS got "boycotted" a few years back when they stopped selling guns for political reasons.  I've learned to separate my political opinions from my investing life much better.  I am noticing a pattern and most of the targeted companies have a nice run within a few years if you catch the dip and just ignore it.  The list is pretty long.  I've watched a number of my friends act irrationally with their portfolio and it cost them a lot of profits.  OK maybe not the My Pillow Guy.  That dude is over the top and deserves whatever he gives his business lol, but most of the targets did more than fine.
(08-24-2021, 08:43 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Ken

I am going to try ignore your trades for awhile.  I do enjoy your company here.  It's just the randomness of your moves and the short term creative rationalization.  At the moment you are not "investing" by most anyone's definition, and it's hard to watch daily, but it's not hurting me.  

Ray

I just pulled up VZ T and JNJ on Portfolio Visualizer with a chart from 2010.  VZ has actually been a reasonable retirement type investment with CAGR over 10%.  Of course T is a complete dumpster fire with a CAGR just over 5% and heading lower by the day.  If you remove the last six months VZ has actually matched JNJ in return.  It's just a case of what have you done for me this year VZ?

vz is one of my oldest investments--i'll have to look up what it's done for me...

okay

YTD -3.20%  (yes that's negative)

1 yr 1.30%

3 yr 6.96%

5 yr 11.80%

since purchase--average annual return--including dividends 9.44%  (25yrs plus)
That's a more than good enough return for 25 years. My guess is VZ best growth years are behind them but they are probably still OK in the proper %. I wouldn't advise a young person to make it a core position, or even buy it without a solid dip. But stocks like VZ won't look so bad when high beta ports get clipped 50%.

I'm not sure I have ever owned VZ shares but on dips I sell a few puts and have potential exposure for a month and grab a full quarter's worth of dividends quickly. Same as I do with other safe and boring DIV stuff like HRL when it hits my end of the range. Half of my port is a real snoozer lol.
(08-25-2021, 07:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: That's a more than good enough return for 25 years.  My guess is VZ best growth years are behind them but they are probably still OK in the proper %.  I wouldn't advise a young person to make it a core position, or even buy it without a solid dip.  But stocks like VZ won't look so bad when high beta ports get clipped 50%.  

I'm not sure I have ever owned VZ shares but on dips I sell a few puts and have potential exposure for a month and grab a full quarter's worth of dividends quickly.  Same as I do with other safe and boring DIV stuff like HRL when it hits my end of the range.  Half of my port is a real snoozer lol.

yea, i'd say vz is a solid "okay" investment, nothing fancy, won't make your portfolio explode in any direction--so essentially no real growth but i don't remember getting that hammered in the great recession either, or the dot com bust for that matter. it's, well...really boring then once in a great while it'll return 20% plus then go back to where ever it came from lol

imho, it's the debt load that holds it down--it's payout it 50 to 52%...i'd rather see it drop that down to 20 to 30% and get rid of that debt but that ain't happening....vz shareholders might see a pop after at&t's divi drops after their media spinoff

i also own some at&t...i might add to it just for that new company coming in 2022....if one looks at the content quality, it's a desirable one imho....

when one looks at these communications companies, T and VZ are the biggest backbones then tMobile....their fiber network and their wireless frequency ownership is the network we all use even if we don't realize it

DEBT kills T and VZ

for the record, i use t-mobile, my wife uses verizon and all my other family members is a mismatch of vz and at&t.....all i can say is everyone is mad at me lol
Back to what I said earlier. VZ is a mediocre utility for now. They have some potential to grow at some point. T would have to get cheaper to tempt me. My trust is gone with management to not rug pull shareholders.
Retail getting hammered today.

I added some DLTR under $95.
[quote pid='28328' dateline='1629988427']
Retail getting hammered today.

I added some DLTR under $95.
[/quote]
I sold my DG and DLTR positions last week and sold puts so I could maybe get back in cheaper if earnings were rough.  Going to get my wish.  Still lost a quart of blood but I guess it's better than two.   Big Grin 

Dumping the rest of my PENN gradually while it's way up.  One more extra ticker leaving the port.
[quote pid='28274' dateline='1629815791']
Genester

Thank you. What are your price targets for these two? Also, I assume RQI dividends are mostly not qualified given the REIT investments?
[/quote]
Reposting for @Fenders53, in case he missed the questions  Big Grin
DLTR anyone?