Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Sold $ED and booked profits of 8% excluding dividends.

Reasoning:
1. Operates in a highly concentrated and hostile regulatory environment (NY)
2. Slow growth
3. Covid-19 non-pays
4. Poor dividend growth rate over 1, 5 and 20 year periods

PADI decreased to $6,713.
[quote pid='28039' dateline='1628790959']
(08-12-2021, 01:24 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 10:31 PM)texsubmariner Wrote: Took some people's advice and jumped in the deep end.

I bought (about $2k of each) JNJ, LHX, XOM, and just to compare SCHD,

Thinking of buying O tomorrow.

Hopefully this starts me on a journey I've always dreamed of doing.

Thanks for advice everyone.
That's a good start.  Take your time and try to learn a little with each purchase.  Ask yourself why you are adding a particular stock.  What does it add to the port?  How is the current valuation vs historical?  The timing of small purchases is not critical if you buy quality that isn't extremely overvalued.  You are diversified so far and O is a reliable REIT.
Thanks fender.  I try my best to do what you are saying.  I totally understand that this is all about research and patience.  I have only spent less than 10% of what I have set aside.
[/quote]
This easily turns into a game of collecting way too many stocks.  If you own enough stocks there is always something on a bit of a sale, but it seems to lead to underperformance if you don't spend any time understanding what you own.  It sure increases the chances you'll panic sell when all hell breaks loose. on the market.  I've hit this investing game from every angle over the decades and I have the scars to prove it lol.  I think the best answer is probably to own as many stocks as you truly have time to understand, and the rest in an ETF.  You can always adjust the balances as you have more or less time in life to do research.  Reading a couple happy owner hype posts here or anywhere else doesn't constitute research.  I am guilty of falling for that.
(08-12-2021, 01:11 PM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: Sold $ED and booked profits of 8% excluding dividends.

Reasoning:
1. Operates in a highly concentrated and hostile regulatory environment (NY)
2. Slow growth
3. Covid-19 non-pays
4. Poor dividend growth rate over 1, 5 and 20 year periods

PADI decreased to $6,713.
#1 is a big deal that makes #2 and 4 impossible.  I have about three fave UTEs.  They operate in multiple states.  Some states are a never ending political war.  Bordering states allow a fair profit.  The smart utilities expand where they can run a business and still provide fair rates.
I added a little AMAT & QCOM; trimmed GIS
Added SBUX .... I always buy when it gets to the 100 DMA

In regards to V. The forward PE is only 31 and it's has been one the best stocks to own for a very long time. I'm not worried about the short term. It's a lifetime hold and I don't touch it.

BTW these stocks have now hot 1 month lows .... LMT, MU, BDX, BAX, RIO, MTN and SMG

TTCF as that's one of Fenders companies he likes
(08-13-2021, 09:10 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added SBUX .... I always buy when it gets to the 100 DMA

In regards to V. The forward PE is only 31 and it's has been one the best stocks to own for a very long time. I'm not worried about the short term. It's a lifetime hold and I don't touch it.

BTW these stocks have now hot 1 month lows .... LMT, MU, BDX, BAX, RIO, MTN and SMG

TTCF as that's one of Fenders companies he likes
I've done a lot of research on TTCF and pick my spots.  I listened to the conference call last night and they will continue growing. For years and years I don't know for sure, but their penetration into about every major grocery chain is incredible.  Some of that started after the end date for this quarter.  i.e. Kroger.   I've just been playing option sells and the current ones are about even today (I should have cashed out yesterday lol).  If it stays down a day or two I'll grab some shares.  The option premiums are stupid good and they erode so that is my first move.

I would not buy MU yet. Chips may be less cyclical for years now but memory is probably a commodity forever. For decades Micron looks too cheap early in a downcycle, then it it lanquishes for many more months longer.
Added some BTI.
One chip stock I didn't even know about until recently is ASML. $788 per share so pricey. 0.41% dividend and it generally increases over time so I guess it's a DGI stock Smile
Sold CC ON pltr. MU starting to look v interesting.
ASML chart looks good but I limit my exposure to individual foreign stocks. The legal listing is always more than I care to research and they steal your dividends with withholding taxes too often.
[quote pid='28050' dateline='1628875756']
Sold CC ON pltr. MU starting to look v interesting.
[/quote]
It usually does many months before the bottom.  Pretty sure it's the most deeply cyclical quality company I have ever followed.  You can make 50-100% in a year or two if you don't jump in too soon.  I won't be at all shocked if it heads for $50.  PE is still high compared to historical.  I've seen it trade at 5 PE.  They are still manufacturing a commodity.  

Anyone have any updated thoughts on SOFI since earnings report?  I've successfully sold options on the drop but I am seriously considering it as a spec I am willing to hold a few years if necessary.  I have zero spec shares now and this looks like a decent one.
Saw hilarious Dollar General video on social media. Operations VP admits he lost count of how many stores they have long ago. He's been making up numbers and thinks the stores are breeding new stores on their own. Smile