Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(07-30-2021, 11:23 AM)fenders53 Wrote: No matter who I respond to it grabs that old random post.  It gets old editing every post to remove it.  I hit reply and type, same stuff most every time.

Maybe try finding that old ENPH post that you keep quoting, and check if the "quote" button on that post is not somehow stuck in the "on" setting. Maybe click it on and off. It's the small button saying "quote", found at the bottom right corner of that particular post, and it'll have a green + sign or a red - sign on it depending on the setting.
Really tempted to pick up Amazon today on its dip, but I'm agonizing over what I'd have to sell to free up the funds.
Crimson

When I get a chance I will dig up the post and edit it blank. I think the post from Divmenow is what my post is auto grabbing though, and everything that it was quoting comes along for the ride.

Or maybe as a mod you have magic powers and can just completely delete a post in the chain and see what happens?

I deleted all the content from post #7928 which appears to be the only time I intentionally quoted that chain. In any event May 11 this when that quote chain was hatched. In the meantime I will try to never hit reply or quote when I post this thread.
Ken,

3X leverage pretty much did exist back then. Buy tech stocks in your margin account. Rules vary but you can buy 2-3 times your equity. When the stocks lost about 50% of value your broker sold it all, kept what he needed to be even, and maybe sent you a bill for the balance if he didn't execute it fast enough. If you were lucky you were just zero balance. That happened to many people as margin was getting popular during the tech bubble. It's popular again today. Triggers are faster now and they force you to liquidate some before you are completely broke.

Not exactly a 3X leveraged ETF but close enough.
Sold half my position in FDX and didn't know what to buy so put 10 names I liked into a hat and picked out the winner. Drum Roll please Wink

The winner was WSO. Not a bad trade off at all. I will add to this on further dips if get one.
Added some BTI and a single share of AMZN. I'd get serious about AMZN if it drops more. Sold a few puts in TXRH and ALE. The spec move for the week was a put sale in RCL. Other than that just a few covered call sales I won't bore you with.
After a long agony, I sold off AGNC which had been declining steeply and about half of my NLY to pick up 2 shares of AMZN, pretty much right at the closing bell. Now I need to figure out how to rebuild my dividends, because my yield just went down.
(07-30-2021, 03:01 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: After a long agony, I sold off AGNC which had been declining steeply and about half of my NLY to pick up 2 shares of AMZN, pretty much right at the closing bell.  Now I need to figure out how to rebuild my dividends, because my yield just went down.

Well your really not going to miss AGNC and NLY that much  Big Grin . There are way better investments out there for you lol

I bet you will make more money in the long run with AMZN with just shares then you would have with either one the ones you just sold.

But hey what do I know. That's just my opinion  Cool
(07-30-2021, 03:13 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 03:01 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: After a long agony, I sold off AGNC which had been declining steeply and about half of my NLY to pick up 2 shares of AMZN, pretty much right at the closing bell.  Now I need to figure out how to rebuild my dividends, because my yield just went down.

Well your really not going to miss AGNC and NLY that much  Big Grin . There are way better investments out there for you lol

I bet you will make more money in the long run with AMZN with just shares then you would have with either one the ones you just sold.

Oh totally agreed; I just need my taxable account to contribute about $500/month to my monthly budget, and those two were helping with their dividends.  Of course, going down while delivering dividends is really just a return of capital, so ... yeah.
Sold a xle put
Out for 5 days and come back to all this activity. Kerim, glad to see you back and that we're having lots of activity again.
[quote pid='27637' dateline='1627676161']
(07-30-2021, 03:13 PM)Divmenow Wrote:

Oh totally agreed; I just need my taxable account to contribute about $500/month to my monthly budget, and those two were helping with their dividends.  Of course, going down while delivering dividends is really just a return of capital, so ... yeah.
[/quote]
Some of those yield traps still have buy ratings on them from major analysts. I just don't get it.  The only time I have seen them work at all is if you pick up the few high quality ones after a serious market crash.  Yield is sky high then.  Nobody wants them now as the yields have crept down as the share prices rose 50%.  

There are safe preferred stock ETFs that pay about 5-6% and that's about as good as it gets without significant equity risk, or some ESG sectors you have said you don't want to be invested in.