Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(04-19-2021, 06:28 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Thanks.
Obviously in the Soviet-European-Union we are not allowed to touch US ETF's, but I'm trying to figure out a way around it. Options might be doable, I'll just have to try and see how it goes.

But seeing as we are expecting this thing to go up, shouldn't it be buying a call instead of a put?

Yes a call, (senior moment)
(04-19-2021, 04:04 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 12:26 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Bought the 2nd leg of a 3 tranche VXX trade. Volatility WILL pop. When? Don't know, but I'm here for it.

Did you just directly buy VXX?
I've never messed with volatility before but I do share your feeling that it will pop sooner or later... and probably sooner rather than later. Is VXX a pretty straightforward "buy & hold until it pops" or is there more to this? It's based on options, so does that mean that this isn't too suitable for a long term (several months?) hold?

I bought UVXY last year for a short-term trade and made money on it, but that's all it is. If you look at a chart of any sufficient length of time for UVXY, you'll see contango in action. It's even clearly visible on a 1yr chart, but the 10yr and 20yr really drive the point home. 

Bull markets last for years, and can have spikes of volatility from time to time, but you'll quickly go broke if you try to go long volatility in a bull market for any appreciable period of time. Short volatility was one of the most popular, crowded, and profitable trades of the 2010s. That's why it was such huge news when it blew up overnight in early 2018 on an unexpected spike. After that spike, it quickly dropped back down and mostly stayed there for the next two years, until March, 2020. Both long and short, it's like playing with hand grenades.
Closed my RUN put. Thinking to open a leap against RBLX again. That's one still haven't dropped significantly.
(04-19-2021, 08:16 AM)Otter Wrote:
(04-19-2021, 04:04 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 12:26 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Bought the 2nd leg of a 3 tranche VXX trade. Volatility WILL pop. When? Don't know, but I'm here for it.

Did you just directly buy VXX?
I've never messed with volatility before but I do share your feeling that it will pop sooner or later... and probably sooner rather than later. Is VXX a pretty straightforward "buy & hold until it pops" or is there more to this? It's based on options, so does that mean that this isn't too suitable for a long term (several months?) hold?

I bought UVXY last year for a short-term trade and made money on it, but that's all it is. If you look at a chart of any sufficient length of time for UVXY, you'll see contango in action. It's even clearly visible on a 1yr chart, but the 10yr and 20yr really drive the point home. 

Bull markets last for years, and can have spikes of volatility from time to time, but you'll quickly go broke if you try to go long volatility in a bull market for any appreciable period of time. Short volatility was one of the most popular, crowded, and profitable trades of the 2010s. That's why it was such huge news when it blew up overnight in early 2018 on an unexpected spike. After that spike, it quickly dropped back down and mostly stayed there for the next two years, until March, 2020. Both long and short, it's like playing with hand grenades.
I watched it some last year and it reminded me a bit of USO.  Didn't move quite like I expected it would a lot of the time.  Not a rookie trade, but Mike follows some skilled trader strategies and does fine.  It would take some time for me to understand what I am doing to be comfortable enough.  

Sold a single put in XOM-NEM-SLV.  Just adjusting the port after an active options expiration.  On a side note I had an NEM covered call expire well within the money.  Wasn't exercised.  That hasn't happened to me often.  I intend to hold NEM shares so good enough.
(04-19-2021, 06:53 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(04-19-2021, 06:28 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Thanks.
Obviously in the Soviet-European-Union we are not allowed to touch US ETF's, but I'm trying to figure out a way around it. Options might be doable, I'll just have to try and see how it goes.

But seeing as we are expecting this thing to go up, shouldn't it be buying a call instead of a put?

Yes a call, (senior moment)

Yes, options do work for that. At least in my experience through Interactive Brokers.
Sold enph put. Bought teva, sold CC on PLTR.
Sold puts on BP, CLB, GD
Keep going down baby....lol

I need 5 more days in a row of this to at least think I can buy stuff
(04-19-2021, 01:03 PM)vbin Wrote: Sold enph put. Bought teva, sold CC on PLTR.
You talked me into it.  Couldn't resist the EHPH premiums.  It's been easy money for months, until it isn't of course, but I am cool with being long.  Just sold an APR 30 strike 130 for $545.  I already have a 135 but they roll easy if necessary, within reason.  This is solar day I guess.  Sold another CSIQ put.  Good valuation and just volatile enough to make it worth it for a short duration put.
(02-25-2021, 10:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(04-19-2021, 01:55 PM)divmenow Wrote: Keep going down baby....lol

Today was inevitable but ... ouch!
(04-19-2021, 01:55 PM)divmenow Wrote: Keep going down baby....lol

Sissy dip.  Smile

Let my hair down and sold a couple Tatooed Chef puts at strike 15.  Very little spec in my port now and I've done some DD on this one.  Big income day selling options.  I'm hoping for more down days too.   

I double dog dare you to short HD.  I've designed and sold $1K/HR in fancy doors nobody really needs the past few days.  That's meaningless nationwide.  Just taunting you for my entertainment.   Big Grin
Actually my daughter broke the window of my kitchen door yesterday doing a home project. I can either replace the glass, or replace the (century-old) door. Maybe I'll buy your fancy $1k door too.