Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Sold a put in cvs, bought baba today. One if the only growth names which I see undervalued.

Sold CC in dcp, wes, oxy.

Added more BMY
Added to VIAC and BTI today.
(04-07-2021, 11:12 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I picked up some RA today to bring my dividend/quarter estimate up to $900, which is where i want it.  As far as my taxable account goes, I'm done with moves now for the foreseeable future.  My ROTH is greedily awaiting the IRA conversion and its cash infusion, and I'm going to learn how to make conditional sell orders.

But mostly my next big project is getting a price on my grandfather's stamp book, then finding a buyer.

Good luck with RA. Seems like a dangerous buy at these levels. 5 year top. This normally trades at $14-15. So way ahead of itself. Just be careful with this name. I heard there a Ponzi scheme. 

I get it pays a dividend each month but to me it seems the downside out weights what little upside it has left.

Just trying to help you  Big Grin
Are we looking at the same RA? It traded in the low 20s basically until it crashed and burned in March 2020, dropping to 13, and it has now climbed back up to 21. Also they haven't cut their dividend recently.
(04-07-2021, 02:58 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Are we looking at the same RA?  It traded in the low 20s basically until it crashed and burned in March 2020, dropping to 13, and it has now climbed back up to 21.  Also they haven't cut their dividend recently.

That's my point on RA. Its back to where it was and toped out at $22 which is where it is now. The 5 year high is $22 and with these monthly dividend stocks when they run up this much they tend to correct and give you better buying opportunities.
(04-07-2021, 11:12 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I picked up some RA today to bring my dividend/quarter estimate up to $900, which is where i want it.  As far as my taxable account goes, I'm done with moves now for the foreseeable future.  My ROTH is greedily awaiting the IRA conversion and its cash infusion, and I'm going to learn how to make conditional sell orders.

But mostly my next big project is getting a price on my grandfather's stamp book, then finding a buyer.
I am glad you got the stamp collection inheritance.  Have you ever been involved with valuable collectibles before?   Give this some thought because I am sure it is accurate and I mean it to be helpful.

With all collectibles there is a wide disparity from maximum retail value to what somebody is gong to pay for a large collection with serious value.  You have several choices with varying degrees of personal effort. 

1.  Take them to a serious dealer, get ripped off and be done with it hassle free.

2.  Pay somebody for a real appraisal, then find out what you can really get for the collection lump sum and be done with it quick, or find somebody to sell them in small lots. ebay is not what is was, but it is still a good place to get near retail value.  I am sure stamp collectors has online forums where stamps are traded as well.  It's a time consuming processes and there are businesses that will do it for a substantial cut.  There will be a lot of stamps that although nice, don't have a lot of value and will have to be sold in lots.  

3.  I am not saying this easiest way but I have seen some old guys do this when it was time to sell a collection.  Find an active hobbyist that still deals.  Allow him to sell them at shows etc and give him a fair cut.  You may have a few stamps to give him/her for their personal collection and break the ice. You obviously have to find somebody trustworthy.  I've seen successful liquidations completed many times in this manner.  You have to understand they have the network and can get favorable prices over the course of six months, and be willing to share the proceeds for their effort.  Don't expect somebody to do that for a 10% cut.  

Most people just choose option #1 and get 1/3rd of fair value and be done with it.  It's no hassle to get ripped off

This might sound odd but I started collecting beer cans as a teenager 40 years ago.  It was a fad then and the hobby already had some age to it.  Later I specialized in a local brewery that closed 70years ago.  I sold off the more common stuff for a few thousand 20 years ago.  I have a small collection of the best stuff I will die with.  There are single cans that now sell for over $1000 on ebay.  My wife and daughter know they are to execute option #3 above.  They know some of my cans are worth $5 and a few dozen are very desirable.  They will get random payments for six months and not be concerned when a hobbyist makes decent money.  It's no cost inventory to them so everybody can be happy.

My stamp collection is probably worth $100 because I was a kid paying 25 cents for them.  That will be easier lol.  

Find a local hobbyist and go from there is what I would do. No matter what you decide later you will start this journey more educated.
(04-07-2021, 02:58 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Are we looking at the same RA?  It traded in the low 20s basically until it crashed and burned in March 2020, dropping to 13, and it has now climbed back up to 21.  Also they haven't cut their dividend recently.

Brookfield isn't running any scams IMO but high yield real estate and loan shark funds are choppy.  Just have to keep the DD up to date.  Anything with a yield 500%+ treasury rates is running on the edge of trouble anytime things aren't going near perfect.  Always about risk/reward.  If there was 8% risk free money I'd just put 100% of my assets there and chat baseball with everyone all day.  Big Grin
Wow thanks for all the advice about the stamps! I didn't go into detail, but this isn't my grandfather's personal stamp collection. He bought a huge pre-made Stamp Almanac in 1952 from the Post Office. All of the stamps are carefully hidden behind cellophane and the pages have some historical content. While it's obviously not a one-of-a-kind item, it must be very rare. I couldn't find anything like it on eBay. My current plan is your option #2 - pay for it to be evaluated, then go on eBay and put a Buy-It-Now for double that, with a "Make an Offer" button Smile
The collectible book may or may not be desirable by collectors. The 1950s isn't particularly old for stamps as they have been saved forever. If they are never used stamps that will help for sure. I am sure they are worth more now but 50+ yr old stamps were worth a few pennies when I was a kid.
Added to ABNB
added a few more CP, CMI and TD
(04-07-2021, 03:07 PM)stockguru Wrote:

That's my point on RA. Its back to where it was and toped out at $22 which is where it is now. The 5 year high is $22 and with these monthly dividend stocks when they run up this much they tend to correct and give you better buying opportunities.
I agree with you on this.  The risk reward is out of balance at the extreme ends of trading range.  It may well be over a year from now, but US finances have never been here before.  Old people hold these high yielders and they have a nervous trigger finger on the sell side at the first sign of trouble.  Something will trigger a dip.  The yields are high because their is always some financial engineering going on.  I get why people are attracted to the monthly payout but a 4% yielding blue chip with a decent chance of a 5% capital appreciation is where the bulk of my income bets will be placed.  The high yielders can pay off very nicely if you know when to trim or add shares.  I'm out for now.  The upside is just not there.