Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-31-2021, 12:33 PM)vbin Wrote: You must be happy today fenders. PLTR ran up. Your puts should be doing well.

Sold CC on PLTR. Sold some PLTR bought couple days back in my kids account. Still neck deep in it.

Bought back a small position in GSK in long term account.
I have the gold finger this month.  This year actually.  2021 has been incredible.  90% of what I do in 2021 works out a week later.  I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.  I am up pretty big for a boring old conservative guy lol.  I wasn't aggressive enough getting back into tech, but I did OK enough.  All my puts are working out and that's a high volume thing for me. I've danced out of a few tight spots and the next swing cures the problem.         

Trust me I am jealous a lot of weeks, but I try to stick to my plan.  I can't see your ports but I get the impression the gang here is up big some weeks and I am only up 1 or 2%.  But the market has to get truly hammered before my port even blinks.  I'll have to accept coming up short when the rest of you are scoring big.  I'll get my punch in the gut before you know it lol.
(03-31-2021, 08:03 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I'll start a thread in off-topic for drawdown criteria, as well as a rule about cashing out some when it crosses a new threshold.  If I only ever sell when a drawdown kicks in, I won't ever profit from the highs, as was the case with LABU.
Yes sir.  That's good thinking.  I'll participate in your new thread.  And I really will just shut up if you wish.  The hair on the back of my neck stood up when you suggested you were going to hold a bunch of triple leveraged ETFs because I am absolutely certain how that ends with no conditional rules.
(03-31-2021, 09:04 AM)Otter Wrote: Also bought some ARKF to round out my Cathie Wood ETF holdings.
I own ARK Q and F.  I missed the bus on the high fliers.  When I get a chance I'll dig in and add a few shares of some of her conviction stocks if the story sounds reasonable.  I don't think I am going to get too deep in any of her funds.  The hype thing will lose steam eventually.  She seems a little more random lately.  Too much media coverage and she is buying a few too many stocks that don't seem like serious long-term investments since she got in late.
(03-31-2021, 10:47 AM)stockguru Wrote: infrastructure stocks should continue higher here since Biden just passed the bill today. Yes they have had a good run but I think these companies will grow between now through 2025. Water stocks as well will benefit,

AWK, WTRG, and so on.

I added a bit more AWK, SRE, MTX and VMC this morning.
It's the obvious narrative that should have some legs.  I will join you on small dips.  There have to be some small infrastructure stocks out there that will be the true score since the obvious big caps are already stretched months ago.  

Find them Divmenow!!!   Big Grin
(02-25-2021, 10:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(03-31-2021, 06:08 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 08:03 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I'll start a thread in off-topic for drawdown criteria, as well as a rule about cashing out some when it crosses a new threshold.  If I only ever sell when a drawdown kicks in, I won't ever profit from the highs, as was the case with LABU.
Yes sir.  That's good thinking.  I'll participate in your new thread.  And I really will just shut up if you wish.  The hair on the back of my neck stood up when you suggested you were going to hold a bunch of triple leveraged ETFs because I am absolutely certain how that ends with no conditional rules.

http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=1971

I'm quite pleased with what I came up with.  I still think I did the right thing on the March meltdown of last year to buy leveraged funds at rock bottom prices, but as LABU showed, not knowing when to sell spoils the fun.
For sure. As it turned there was very little you couldn't buy after the Covid dip settled out. Most of us find selling a lot more difficult than buying. Leveraged makes it even tougher.
Noone buying today? Markets closed tomorrow. I sold out psxp in 1 account. Closed a xom put.
Nothing exciting but made a few adjustments.

Closed out some short puts that were either at or near max profit with time left, or the underlying running out of gas IMO. CSIQ-DG-GNRC. Closed out RGR for a break even because I chickened out on upcoming gun law drama. Scored nicely on RGR the past six months and I was pushing my luck.

Sold a few new puts to keep the cash from getting excessive. Mostly conservative stuff. VIX too low to go crazy today. HRL-ALE-PM-MO-F-NIO

Got a surprise and was early exercised on a SLV put for the first time. Vanguard wouldn't let me sell the shares when SLV went up today so I sold a covered call. I think I will stick to NEM and Barrick for my precious metals hedge. I much prefer the nice dividends SLV doesn't offer. They mine gold anyway so that will be enough exposure to silver. I sold a bunch of SLV puts since last summer and never got exercised. I don't want to own the underlying anymore and that breaks my #1 put selling rule so no more SLV put selling when the rest of them are gone.
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(04-01-2021, 02:42 PM)vbin Wrote: Noone buying today? Markets closed tomorrow. I sold out psxp in 1 account. Closed a xom put.

Nope.  Today was a sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the view day.
(04-01-2021, 04:32 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

(04-01-2021, 02:42 PM)vbin Wrote: Noone buying today? Markets closed tomorrow. I sold out psxp in 1 account. Closed a xom put.

Nope.  Today was a sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the view day.
That's not a half bad strategy when valuations get this high.

It's Opening Day today so that is holding my attention today.  Will probably buy something tomorrow.
buys this week xom and ipoe(spac2merge w/sofi)

i'm not big on unknown investments but i have high convictions with sofi, been reading about this one for about 10 years, interesting start, a little turmoil, then growth and expansion under ceo anthony noto...noto has a really good to great background. imho, the right man in the the right spot at the right time.

i bought this one for the long term....long term means many many many years to me....