Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-30-2021, 11:03 AM)kblake Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 09:59 AM)vbin Wrote: What netflix and usd doing in arkx?

NFLX is innovative so hence it's In the fund lol 

The fund doesn't own NOC, GD, HII yet either. But over time it will.

The fund also owns AMZN, TSM, BABA, DE and NVDA as well 

I like the funds 30 holdings.

Agree. It's a fake space fund today but the initial positions are fine.
(03-30-2021, 11:05 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

I view it entirely as a placeholder fund designed to take a stake in the SpaceX IPO. Nothing else makes any sense.
A bunch of big names bought into MRK recently, + it's big pharma with good growth projected. Have to be patient. I have small position in it. I won't feel stressful if I get assigned. Wtrg would be real nice below $40 for a big position.
(03-30-2021, 11:06 AM)Otter Wrote:

I view it entirely as a placeholder fund designed to take a stake in the SpaceX IPO. Nothing else makes any sense.
No info on spacex ipo yet?
(03-30-2021, 11:13 AM)vbin Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 11:06 AM)Otter Wrote:

No info on spacex ipo yet?

Probably Starlink spin-off goes first in 2022. Doubt they’ll IPO SpaceX until Starship has a reliable launch history. If Falcon 9 development is any guide, probably 2023-4.
Tax consequences be damned, I got out of one of my leveraged positions today in LABU. I believe it has further to fall and I don't need to be along for the ride. (Bought @ $60/share, sold @ $70/share, but in the interim it zoomed up to $180. For the future I am going to come up with a drawdown rule so that I can profit from huge spikes.)
I took the LABU proceeds and ...

Mainly, I shored up my Value portfolio: ORC, OXLC, NLY, PCI, PFL, HRZN, HTGC, T, and VZ.

Then I sprinkled around most of the remaining funds to DGI stocks: AVGO, AAPL, CSCO, JNJ, HD, STX

With what was left I bought a wee bit more of my triples: TECL and NAIL

Not that I've seen a dime of it yet, but my Excel spreadsheet says I should be up to $744/quarter of dividends.
(03-30-2021, 11:25 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Tax consequences be damned, I got out of one of my leveraged positions today in LABU.  I believe it has further to fall and I don't need to be along for the ride.  (Bought @ $60/share, sold @ $70/share, but in the interim it zoomed up to $180.  For the future I am going to come up with a drawdown rule so that I can profit from huge spikes.)
Leveraged funds are fun and with the right plan you can profit if the market goes your way at all  Buying and holding through thick and thin just isn't the same as a handful of stock shares.  There has been no better time for triple leverage funds.  You enjoyed the good part.  Pull up a chart on most any of them and you will see the drawdown is just too much if you pay no mind to momentum.   They get crushed in a downdraft, they gradually lose through options cost slippage in a sideways market.  It only works when the market is at least moderately bullish.  I know you don't understand options but you are effectively buying call options every day.  I sell options most every day so I can pocket the slippage.
(03-30-2021, 12:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 11:25 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Tax consequences be damned, I got out of one of my leveraged positions today in LABU.  I believe it has further to fall and I don't need to be along for the ride.  (Bought @ $60/share, sold @ $70/share, but in the interim it zoomed up to $180.  For the future I am going to come up with a drawdown rule so that I can profit from huge spikes.)
Leveraged funds are fun and with the right plan you can profit if the market goes your way at all  Buying and holding through thick and thin just isn't the same as a handful of stock shares.  There has been no better time for triple leverage funds.  You enjoyed the good part.  Pull up a chart on most any of them and you will see the drawdown is just too much if you pay no mind to momentum.   They get crushed in a downdraft, they gradually lose through options cost slippage in a sideways market.  It only works when the market is at least moderately bullish.  I know you don't understand options but you are effectively buying call options every day.  I sell options most every day so I can pocket the slippage.

TL;DR fenders rolls with Theta Gang.  Big Grin
(03-30-2021, 12:24 PM)Otter Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 12:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

TL;DR fenders rolls with Theta Gang.  Big Grin
If 2021 goes like 18/19/20. I am finally getting that theta tattoo I always wanted.  If Ken doesn't stop it I am going to work "Thanks Ken" into my ink.  Big Grin 

Seriously though Ken I am glad you joined the forum because you participate daily.  I want everyone here to win.  I am going to find a link for a basic option vid you need to find time to watch.  You don't have to trade options, but the reality is you ARE in fact playing options with these triple leveraged funds. You need to know what is going on or it's just reckless and I want you to retire early as possible.  You have to understand the basic principles as you are throwing down thousand dollar bills in these funds.  I am NOT anti leveraged funds, but I try to be careful with them and always in moderation.  It's a side bet, not a core strategy, because it will end bad if I get too bold for too long.
Regarding all this ARKX talk.
It's a lovely idea. Space is indeed one of the next big things.
But as already stated, this fund has very little space exposure. Then again it's hard to truly get space exposure with publicly listed companies. UFO (another etf) does a decent job of trying but they are heavily weighted into the satellite communications side of it.

I have yet to find a great way to play this space thing. I have LHX, LMT and Airbus in my portfolio, LHX does have quite a bit of space related stuff but for the other two it's a small business so far. NSH (merging with Spire Global) might be another one I want to add... but regular SPAC stuff here: great plans and it all sounds good but we have yet to see the revenue really start to come in.

SpaceX would be the number one company in this sector for decades to come. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll be going public anytime soon. Elon previously said something along the lines of: we will go public once we have scheduled flights to Mars. That won't be tomorrow, or even next week.
83% of put options expire worthless.

75% of call options expire worthless.

Selling these instruments in a way that mitigates risk (covered calls and cash-secured puts) can be very lucrative. I am a Theta Gang convert.