Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I'm no chartist, but I'd agree that the NOC chart doesn't look good at all.

Failed to rise above $350 multiple times and now looks like it broke support under $300.

[Image: chart.ashx?t=NOC&ty=c&ta=1&p=d&s=l]
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(10-29-2020, 08:04 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Divemenow or Crimson,

Please pull a current chart or analyst report on NOC when you have a minute.   I've patently waited for it to drop. It looks technically broken right now.   Definitely oversold like all the defense stocks.  I have no illusions they come back in favor in the near-term, but NOC grew just fine the last time we had a DEM administration.  Projected to grow at 10% for years and I like the mix of military aviation and space.  DIV growth record has been very good for at least 10 years.  Thinking of gradually building a position starting now.  I already own a lot of LMT and LHX, and my RTN income side game.  If NOC drops hard I'll speed it up, otherwise just a share or two a month for awhile.  I like the diversification within the sector since my positions end up large.  You never know when you'll have a big problem with a weapons system, or bribery allegations.  I'd rather grab a non-defense industrial now, but most of the big ones have ties to commercial aviation, auto manufacturing, or just overvalued.

NOC is a definitely a good company. I was very close to buying last year, but ended up going with LHX instead. It really came down to those two. I haven't followed NOC recently but indeed looks like the chart is pretty much the same as for most other defense companies right now. 

As you know, anything can happen in the short term but I think you'll be good with NOC in the long-term. Defense spending isn't going to disappear.
Added to LHX.
I thought the earnings were pretty damn good.
(10-30-2020, 08:48 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Added to LHX.
I thought the earnings were pretty damn good.
I've purchased it several times at or below 160.  If only I were smart enough to dump some at 180+ lol.  At least I sell covered calls before it jumps off the cliff again.  Smile  It makes me feel a little better lol.
(10-29-2020, 09:11 PM)EricL Wrote: I'm no chartist, but I'd agree that the NOC chart doesn't look good at all.

Failed to rise above $350 multiple times and now looks like it broke support under $300.

And this is why I mentioned up front the chart is clearly broken.  I knew somebody would bust my chops.  Should I just go buy an industrial with a PE 50% above historical PE and a YOY revenue drop?  Smile All major defense stock charts look like this right now. Should give me some time to accumulate if I decide to buy NOC.
Added AMZN, TDOC, PM, LOW, APD, NOC and IIPR
(10-30-2020, 09:41 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 09:11 PM)EricL Wrote: I'm no chartist, but I'd agree that the NOC chart doesn't look good at all.

And this is why I mentioned up front the chart is clearly broken.  I knew somebody would bust my chops.  Should I just go buy an industrial with a PE 50% above historical PE and a YOY revenue drop?  Smile  All major defense stock charts look like this right now.  Should give me some time to accumulate if I decide to buy NOC.
Agreed they all look horrible. But they did back in March and April too lol. But charts mean nothing to me. A stock can recover and stock can fall even if a chart looks great or not. Charts don't tell the whole story. Especially when a market is collapsing. They can spring back in a heartbeat. This is short term and I think months and years out. All I know is that NOC is a bargains here. And bargains are hard to pass up. So I bought 25 shares of NOC to start off with  Big Grin  

If you buy 2 shares who cares if you buy in at $268 0r $260 LOL.
(10-30-2020, 09:49 AM)stockguru Wrote: Added AMZN, TDOC, PM, LOW, APD, NOC and IIPR

That a girl. You will do well with these names...
(10-30-2020, 09:56 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 09:41 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

And this is why I mentioned up front the chart is clearly broken.  I knew somebody would bust my chops.  Should I just go buy an industrial with a PE 50% above historical PE and a YOY revenue drop?  Smile  All major defense stock charts look like this right now.  Should give me some time to accumulate if I decide to buy NOC.
Agreed they all look horrible. But they did back in March and April too lol. But charts mean nothing to me. A stock can recover and stock can fall even if a chart looks great or not. Charts don't tell the whole story. Especially when a market is collapsing. They can spring back in a heartbeat. This is short term and I think months and years out. All I know is that NOC is a bargains here. And bargains are hard to pass up. So I bought 25 shares of NOC to start off with  Big Grin  

If you buy 2 shares who cares if you buy in at $268 0r $260 LOL.
Charts are a picture of market sentiment to me, and that sentiment won't likely change in a week.  I will buy or sell anyway, but I have learned to show them some respect.  If the chart is crap and a 100 or 10 share purchase is a big deal to YOUR port, then you should only be buying 25 or 2 shares today. 

For now I am in my slow mode because the market is threatening to drop hard.  A couple random shares of all my stocks that are at least somewhat beaten up for no particular good reason.  It's a good day to put in limit orders and try to pick up a few shares here and there.  I don't even have to think hard about that.  $300 worth of a blue chip on a dip is rarely a terrible decision.  I'd rather be selling puts because that's my normal thing, but 100 share commitment in one stock a few days before an election is a helluva lot more risky than spreading out the money.

Buy 'em when they hate them, but go slow until you know how bad they are hated. Smile Same with oil. Picking up some XOM today may be the best or stupidest decision you make this year.
Not a chart expert but that's also called reversed W or double roof. Probability is to go further lower after this chart. @fenders53 where do you see NOC trading at 1.5 times of historical PE?
(10-30-2020, 11:58 AM)vbin Wrote: Not a chart expert but that's also called reversed W or double roof. Probability is to go further lower after this chart. @fenders53 where do you see NOC trading at 1.5 times of historical PE?

That isn't what I said at all.  NOC PE is very reasonable today, and earnings estimates are as recession proof as it gets.  The contracts take as long as as decade to be completed and they get paid as they go.
A few limit orders dropped. No luck on tech but they are getting close too. Just a few shares of each... MA-LLY-LHX-JNJ-PEP.

Went against the tape and sold a Weyerhauser put. Record earnings and dividend half re-stated.