Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Anyone look at TSLA earnings report? How in the hell did they turn a profit with factories shut down nearly a third of the quarter in the US and more than that in China to my knowledge? I guess 1Q is an easier seasonal target but most of the other auto manufacturers had a horrible quarter. Had to be EV credits I assume.

And I sure called Facebook wrong. The only FAANG stock I just knew would have a weak quarter. Numerous analysts said ad revenues were way down. Guess I need to find some new analysts.
(04-30-2020, 10:54 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyone look at TSLA earnings report?  How in the hell did they turn a profit with factories shut down nearly a third of the quarter in the US and more than that in China to my knowledge?  I guess 1Q is an easier seasonal target but most of the other auto manufacturers had a horrible quarter.  Had to be EV credits I assume.

And I sure called Facebook wrong.  The only FAANG stock I just knew would have a weak quarter.  Numerous analysts said ad revenues were way down.  Guess I need to find some new analysts.

Link to earnings release.

TSLA turned a "profit" by selling $354M in regulatory credits during the quarter, which equated to 6.9% of auto revenues.

Actual auto revenues were down 33% QoQ.

Solar and storage sales were down 35% and 51% and global inventory increased by 82%.

Free cash flow was -$895M for the quarter.

Yet nothing matters, the stock is up another $16 to $817 and now has a nearly $150B market cap.

The early 2000's called, it wants its tech bubble back...
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Took a new position in CARR and UNP and added some MSFT.

My thinking with everyone home now people will have to rely on this company. They should thrive. Just my opinion lol

I sold XOM after getting in at $34.25. So a nice gain. Also trimmed some NEM and DFS. Sill hold half positions each
(04-30-2020, 11:49 AM)EricL Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 10:54 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyone look at TSLA earnings report?  How in the hell did they turn a profit with factories shut down nearly a third of the quarter in the US and more than that in China to my knowledge?  I guess 1Q is an easier seasonal target but most of the other auto manufacturers had a horrible quarter.  Had to be EV credits I assume.

And I sure called Facebook wrong.  The only FAANG stock I just knew would have a weak quarter.  Numerous analysts said ad revenues were way down.  Guess I need to find some new analysts.

TSLA turned a "profit" by selling $354M in regulatory credits during the quarter, which equated to 6.9% of auto revenues.

Solar and storage sales were down 35% and 51% and global inventory increased by 82%.

Yet nothing matters, the stock is up another $16 to $817 and now has a nearly $150B market cap.

I learned not to short TSLA. I eventually made a profit on my puts during the March plunge, but they were essentially worthless for a while when TSLA last decided to shoot for $1000. 

It is a cult stock. The true believers will never abandon it until there's a bankruptcy filing.
(04-30-2020, 12:01 PM)Otter Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 11:49 AM)EricL Wrote:

I learned not to short TSLA. I eventually made a profit on my puts during the March plunge, but they were essentially worthless for a while when TSLA last decided to shoot for $1000. 

It is a cult stock. The true believers will never abandon it until there's a bankruptcy filing.
I'm not sure the BK is ever coming, but there will be a day when TSLA stops making the FAANG look like value stocks.  I don't think I've ever seen a stock be this bubblicious for so many years.  Smile  It's not like it's a new company.
(04-30-2020, 11:57 AM)stockguru Wrote: Took a new position in CARR and UNP and added some MSFT.

My thinking with everyone home now people will have to rely on this company.  They should thrive. Just  my opinion lol

I sold XOM after getting in at $34.25. So a nice gain.  Also trimmed some NEM and DFS. Sill hold half positions each

I need to just get back in MSFT and accept it.  I owned it 20 years and missed a lot of the recent ride.
(04-30-2020, 12:16 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 11:57 AM)stockguru Wrote: Took a new position in CARR and UNP and added some MSFT.

My thinking with everyone home now people will have to rely on this company.  They should thrive. Just  my opinion lol

I sold XOM after getting in at $34.25. So a nice gain.  Also trimmed some NEM and DFS. Sill hold half positions each

I need to just get back in MSFT and accept it.  I owned it 20 years and missed a lot of the recent ride.

Its probably headed to $200+ now. They will do well no matter how bad the economy or virus is. Their earnings proved that  Big Grin
The stock will grind higher most weeks. The monopolies and big box allowed to stay open have an advantage.  Not fair but here we are for now.
I bought 2500 IVZ. Its the biggest position in any one stock.

They cut the dividend in half but I'm ok with a 7% yield. They will raise again once things get better.

With 2500 shares I'm generating $1500 a year in dividends. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm surprised no one else is taken advantage of these low prices.

The company has repurchased $973 million of its common shares. And It expects to utilize the remaining ~$227 million by the first quarter of 2021.
Sold a lot of RDS.b today and used some of the proceeds to add to BK, WFC, TXN, GD, PFE, AMP, and MRK.
Bought some Tailored Brands as a Ben Graham play.
(04-30-2020, 01:33 PM)kblake Wrote: I bought 2500 IVZ. Its the biggest position in any one stock.

They cut the dividend in half but I'm ok with a 7% yield. They will raise again once things get better.

With 2500 shares I'm generating $1500 a year in dividends. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm surprised no one else is taken advantage of these low prices.

The company has repurchased $973 million of its common shares. And It expects to utilize the remaining ~$227 million by the first quarter of 2021.

I have been buying IVZ off and on for a little bit.  Nowhere near as large a purchase as you have made.  Will most likely be buying some more on Monday as I will have my large MO dividends and a few others hit the account Friday after trading has ended.