Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-18-2020, 09:02 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 08:59 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I've been looking at restaurants too. Not properly, just taking a look to see what's out there.
Honestly? Not seeing much, though MCD is starting to look interesting. I'd love to get my hands on some Chipotle but their P/E is still like 40?

I assume you aren't familiar with US restaurants.  There are some powerful chains with good enough balance sheets being given away.  I'll stay FAR away from the Momo like Chipotle.  That's one that could get chopped in half again.  Some of the others are at financial crisis lows and they are still selling carry out.

HD just cut store hours today, but not much.

YUM is getting interesting. China is open for business so it could potentially come back once this all subsides.
(03-18-2020, 08:59 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I've been looking at restaurants too. Not properly, just taking a look to see what's out there.
Honestly? Not seeing much, though MCD is starting to look interesting. I'd love to get my hands on some Chipotle but their P/E is still like 40?

I assume you aren't familiar with US restaurants.  There are some powerful chains with good enough balance sheets being given away.  I'll stay FAR away from the Momo like Chipotle.  That's one that could get chopped in half again.  Some of the others are at financial crisis lows and they are still selling carry out.

You're right, I don't have much experience with US restaurants. Zero from the investment side and very little from eating there too. :p 
I thought Chipotle had it figured out: fast service (even when the place was packed), good and relatively "real" food at decent prices. I really like their concept and ate there a couple of times and I was always satisfied. It's the kind of place I'd grab my lunch from if one would be around. But no, I'll never pay P/E 40 for a restaurant.
(03-18-2020, 09:05 AM)divmenow Wrote:

YUM is getting interesting. China is open for business so it could potentially come back once this all subsides.
I should check them again.  Most any of the chains with a decent balance sheet will be fine.
Bought some RTN.
Again, I'm not a fan of the UTX deal, especially in this current environment, but RTN is getting CHEAP.
(03-18-2020, 09:10 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Bought some RTN.
Again, I'm not a fan of the UTX deal, especially in this current environment, but RTN is getting CHEAP.
I may pick up some more today.  UTX is going to hold them back with the airplane business.  I think the deal closes in weeks.  It will require patience.

Might want to recheck on YUM, I don't believe they have exposure to China anymore after the spin-off of YUM China (YUMC) a few years ago.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(03-18-2020, 09:13 AM)EricL Wrote:

Might want to recheck on YUM, I don't believe they have exposure to China anymore after the spin-off of YUM China (YUMC) a few years ago.
They still have 4 stores in China .... Ok so my idea goes out the window then  Big Grin  Still a stock I am keeping an eye on  Smile
The junk "BB" credit rating for YUM and "B" for WEN scare me.

MCD is boring, but that's good in times like these. =)
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Correct, I want regular YUM if I buy it. I received the original YUM spinoff from PEP in the 1990s. I think it was about $15 give or take.

I am now a TXRH owner. Just a nibble. I'd like to catch the bottom with a real position but if not I might grab a little anyway after things settle down just a bit.
Bought RTN at $115. Now RTN should call off the merger. You do that and the stock will go back to $150+. Call in an emergency meeting and do it now lol

WBA has been doing very well since its bottomed at $40. Up $12 since. Nice!
Added some DFS under $30, and bought some RTN, AEP, MO, and HAS

DFS under $30 is crazy... I keep seeing those commercials no, no, no, no. no lol

Just in.... it turns out it doesn't pay to Discover hahaha
(03-18-2020, 09:29 AM)EricL Wrote: The junk "BB" credit rating for YUM and "B" for WEN scare me.

MCD is boring, but that's good in times like these. =)

You just be scared while I make money on WEN for about the fifth time.  Smile  Big Oil was "safe" like 30 days ago.  If this was easy I'd fly over and pick you up in my private jet so we could do lunch today.  Carryout of course.   Big Grin

Picked up some MCD and a pinch more of CBRL, cuz who doesn't love a falling knife.  OMG I thought the bottom was around 75 lol. 

I'm about to dump the rest of my oil but I'll have to go find a stock down just as much and that won't be easy for sure.

SBUX on my watchlist but I won't bite unless it gets cheaper. I'm old and all about the yield lol.