Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web-Based Tools for Analyzing Value
Valuation (P/E ratio, cash flows, historical yield, debt/credit rating) is a key component of my purchasing decisions, even for DGI stocks. The tool I use most as a starting point is FAST Graphs, as I find its graphical depiction of this information very helpful as a starting point for research. Has helped me immensely over the years, such as identifying BA as a strong buy back in 2016 after the SEC accounting investigation that absolutely no one remembers today (if the current stock price is any guide). Not a stock I would buy today, though, as it is running well ahead of its 10yr avg. P/E in a late-cycle economy with potential tariff impacts. 

Anyone else have any favorite web-based tools for analyzing value in advance of making a purchase decision?
Hi Otter,

How much does Fast Graphs cost?  I have not used it but am familiar with it because guys on Seeking Apha have ran charts on most of my present and future desired core holdings.  Most of my tools are on TD Ameritrade.  In addition to the basic solvency info, I pay a lot of attention to historical PE valuation bands you mentioned.  Overbought/oversold for my entry point matters to me too.  It may not matter so much over 20 years, but I really hate to watch a stock drop 3%+ immediately after purchase when it was possible to avoid it with a fairly high degree of certainty.
(10-12-2018, 03:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Hi Otter,

How much does Fast Graphs cost?  I have not used it but am familiar with it because guys on Seeking Apha have ran charts on most of my present and future desired core holdings.  Most of my tools are on TD Ameritrade.  In addition to the basic solvency info, I pay a lot of attention to historical PE valuation bands you mentioned.  Overbought/oversold for my entry point matters to me too.  It may not matter so much over 20 years, but I really hate to watch a stock drop 3%+ immediately after purchase when it was possible to avoid it with a fairly high degree of certainty.

I pay $9.95/month for the Basic LEGACY Monthly Member package, and find it absolutely worth the spend. It is the only paid-subscription service I use for evaluating potential stock purchases. The underlying data can be pulled from a variety of individual sources, but I find the visualization of value to be extremely helpful. It is a quick way to build a purchase candidate list for further research from stocks that look promising on the CCC List. Also, I really enjoy Chuck Carnevale's (FAST Graph Creator) articles regarding valuing dividend stocks on Seeking Alpha.
I have watched many of Chuck's Fast Graph videos. They are very helpful.
I've been using FastGraphs for years now and it is still my go to site.  Maybe I'm just a visual learner....

There are some terrific services out there but for me the two quickest ways to get a feel for "a fair price" is a comparison between FastGraphs presentations and Morningstar's Fair Value.  Yes, that(M*) is an additional expense.  Between the two I get a pretty complete picture.
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
Another SA Contributor whose regular articles regarding PAAY analysis provide a handy way to gauge value for DGI stocks:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4322434...ruary-2020