Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CVX Chevron
If you plan to hold for a while, now is a great time to buy more. Get the dividends that will be coming
My only concern with it is the dividend. If it was XOM Id go for it.
2004 was the last time CVX cut their dividend. Outside of XOM, their dividend is the safest of the oil majors IMO.
(07-09-2015, 09:34 AM)ChadR Wrote: 2004 was the last time CVX cut their dividend. Outside of XOM, their dividend is the safest of the oil majors IMO.

Chevron did not cut dividends in 2004. It underwent a stock split 2:1 in 2004.
http://investor.chevron.com/phoenix.zhtm...nformation
Chevron has a 27 year streak of increasing dividends. They don't always raise it every 5th quarter, and I expect it to be another few quarters before they raise again, but I would be shocked if they had a cut anytime soon.

Chevron Vs. Exxon Mobil: Setting The Dividend Growth Record Straight
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(07-09-2015, 10:36 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 09:34 AM)ChadR Wrote: 2004 was the last time CVX cut their dividend. Outside of XOM, their dividend is the safest of the oil majors IMO.

Chevron did not cut dividends in 2004. It underwent a stock split 2:1 in 2004.
http://investor.chevron.com/phoenix.zhtm...nformation

That's what I get for doing a quick search and not looking into what I saw. Though I feel even better about the second sentence now.
(07-09-2015, 10:51 AM)EricL Wrote: Chevron has a 27 year streak of increasing dividends. They don't always raise it every 5th quarter, and I expect it to be another few quarters before they raise again, but I would be shocked if they had a cut anytime soon.

Chevron Vs. Exxon Mobil: Setting The Dividend Growth Record Straight

Such a great article, Eric. I am long XOM (its my third largest holding and one of my core positions) but have been looking to grab CVX for a while, just waiting for a slightly more comfortable entry point (in terms of how I initiate positions, I am ultra conservative with any company that doesn't present flawless financials).
Quick question as I am planning on purchasing CVX and/or XOM.

I read the articles here and seems both of them are good companies to have.

I have 4K that I want to put towards. Is it better to go for one of them, CVX maybe, due to good div. or get both of them. The price entry still seems to be good for both of them. S&P reports CVX is a buy and XOM is a hold. However, M* indicates 4 *s.

Any preferences? And is the price going to go down further much later on?

Thanks.
(07-14-2015, 12:28 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Quick question as I am planning on purchasing CVX and/or XOM.

I have 4K that I want to put towards. Is it better to go for one of them, CVX maybe, due to good div. or get both of them. The price entry still seems to be good for both of them. S&P reports CVX is a buy and XOM is a hold. However, M* indicates 4 *s.

Thanks.

XOM is the stronger company with an AAA credit rating and plenty of coverage for the dividend as they recently raised it. I believe the company is also continuing to repurchase shares during the current downturn.

CVX is also a very strong company with AA credit, yet has some huge capital projects going on right now and is in a bit of a cash crunch and as a result has suspended its buyback program and recently paid the same dividend for the 5th consecutive quarter. Long term I expect the company to weather the downturn, but if low oil prices persist the dividend could be frozen for a while.

They are probably the two safest picks in the oil sector but XOM is the stronger of the two which is why its yield is lower right now. If you have faith that oil prices will eventually head higher, now would be a decent time to buy.

There's no guarantee what will happen in the next 6-12 months as crude prices could stay low, but long term I've placed my bets on a recovery and own both.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(07-14-2015, 01:55 PM)EricL Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 12:28 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Quick question as I am planning on purchasing CVX and/or XOM.

Thanks.

XOM is the stronger company with an AAA credit rating and plenty of coverage for the dividend as they recently raised it. I believe the company is also continuing to repurchase shares during the current downturn.

CVX is also a very strong company with AA credit, yet has some huge capital projects going on right now and is in a bit of a cash crunch and as a result has suspended its buyback program and recently paid the same dividend for the 5th consecutive quarter. Long term I expect the company to weather the downturn, but if low oil prices persist the dividend could be frozen for a while.

They are probably the two safest picks in the oil sector but XOM is the stronger of the two which is why its yield is lower right now. If you have faith that oil prices will eventually head higher, now would be a decent time to buy.

There's no guarantee what will happen in the next 6-12 months as crude prices could stay low, but long term I've placed my bets on a recovery and own both.

Great. Thanks Eric.
Added to CVX @ 3 year lows.
I did the same last week. I could no longer overlook the 4+% dividend...

And I do think $/brl will be low.... VERY low... for a long time.