Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crimsonghost
--- this is going to be quite a long read-

Ohh my, has it really been over a year since I last posted here? Might as well do another update then! It's great to be able to look into the past and see how things have been evolving.

Smallest to largest:
Raytheon
Aqua America
Northview REIT (for those of you wondering, this is the new company that came out of the merger that Northern properties underwent)
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Honeywell
AT&T
Trina Solar
Procter&Gamble
Boardwalk REIT
Johnson & Johnson
Colgate - Palmolive
Bell Canada
Ubiquity Networks
Wells Fargo
Lowe's Companies
Entertainment One
Permian Basin Royalty Trust
Orbital ATK

+ those very same bonds from bestbuy.

So overall I'm at 18 different companies now, which is starting to be in the range of what I was originally aiming for. And I must admit that I feel like this is close to the appropriate amount since I enjoy keeping up-to-date on what's going on with the companies and now the earnings seasons are starting to be quite busy if I feel like looking through all of the quarterly reports.

The one thing that I do need to work on is balancing. I never planned to have any sort of a formula when it comes to how much (either $ or %) a certain investment should be from my portfolio. Rather I've decided to buy what seems to me like the most profitable investment at the time. I'm fine with the top dogs having quite a lot of weight, however I'm a little concerned about the bottom end of the list. Trina Solar is around midway of the list but the market value of it is only 4% of my portfolio. This is where I could use some suggestions. The first thing that comes to mind is dedicating a fixed amount per month (for example 30% of the new cash I deposit) to go into buying companies where the market value of my investment is below a certain point, more or less regardless of their current valuation. But the thought of (for example) grabbing more JNJ at $120 doesn't appeal to me. So, help please! Big Grin

For obvious reasons it's been really quiet on the bond front. I'd still like to have a small bond ladder (say, 5 different bonds all with different maturities more or less evenly spaced) however I don't see it as a viable option with the current yields.

Looking at this from the passive income point of view, July was the only month this year where I had less than 100 euros income from my investments. (before taxes) So the dream of having a relatively stable income from my portfolio is slowly but surely progressing. I've managed to deposit quite a bit of cash into the investment account in the recent months and that should continue so I'm feeling quite optimistic about next years dividends.

That's it for now, thanks for reading and don't hesitate to let me know what you think.

Messages In This Thread
crimsonghost - by crimsonghost747 - 01-24-2015, 06:46 AM
RE: crimsonghost - by Kerim - 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM
RE: crimsonghost - by crimsonghost747 - 01-24-2015, 03:50 PM
RE: crimsonghost - by ChadR - 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: crimsonghost - by crimsonghost747 - 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM
RE: crimsonghost - by crimsonghost747 - 10-24-2015, 11:40 PM
RE: crimsonghost - by Dividend Watcher - 10-25-2015, 08:51 AM
RE: crimsonghost - by crimsonghost747 - 10-25-2015, 10:24 AM
RE: crimsonghost - by Dividend Watcher - 10-25-2015, 11:34 AM
RE: crimsonghost - by crimsonghost747 - 11-11-2016, 12:59 AM
RE: crimsonghost - by blkflm6888 - 11-12-2016, 03:41 AM