Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadmap2Retire
I havent shared my portfolio here on this forum, although Ive linked to my blog a few times. I recently posted an update on the portfolio changes in 2014.

But for sharing with this forum members, here is an overview of how our portfolio evolved over the year. The figure also captures all dividend increases from my holdings.

[Image: DivGrowth2014.png]
Hey R2R,

Thanks for sharing this. Do you find it helpful to track these movements with such detail? I'm new so i'm wondering if this is a pattern of experienced investors to track everything.

Also a side note, i'm on your website and stumbled upon your post about your first stock purchases and it made me laugh. You've come a long way since then and it's great to see where you are at today.
Hey Russell,
I dont think you need to follow along that closely. I am just overexcited about extra data and excel and like to keep track of everything Smile

Hahaha..I figured it would make an amusing story...always good to share the failures with the successes. Thanks for stopping by.

Best
R2R
2015 Q1 update: 13 dividend raises so far in my portfolio. Added a few new stocks as well. Summarized in the image below. A detailed post here.

[Image: Q1-DG.png]
I like the new position in TD. Their large US operation should work well for them with the strong dollar.
Portfolio update for Q2 2015: Saw 9 dividend increases, 6 additions (of which 2 are new positions), and 1 deletion.

[Image: Q2-DG.png]
Nice pickup on VTR. What made you decide to sell MDT?
My broker. Even though MDT moved to Ireland, Canadian residents are exempt from the 20% Irish dividend withholding taxes. I contacted my broker and they said that they do not share client info with Irish government. I didnt think it was worth my time to fight it and consider moving to a different broker. I decided to exit the position even though I really like the company.

Details shared here
(07-02-2015, 05:32 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Portfolio update for Q2 2015: Saw 9 dividend increases, 6 additions (of which 2 are new positions), and 1 deletion.

I really like the chart. Just to be clear, I assume the light green "added position" is new money other than dividend reinvestment?
(07-10-2015, 09:48 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 05:32 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Portfolio update for Q2 2015: Saw 9 dividend increases, 6 additions (of which 2 are new positions), and 1 deletion.

I really like the chart. Just to be clear, I assume the light green "added position" is new money other than dividend reinvestment?

Hi Kerim,
Yes, its new money, except for one DRIP for KMI (both in Q1 and Q2 2015). I will update my charts to include this details from next quarter on.
Portfolio update for Q3 2015: Saw 6 dividend increases, 12 additions - of which 2 are DRIPs and 5 new positions (1 coming from a spinoff (CCP)).

[Image: Q3-DG.png]
Nice to see all that yellow, R2R! I like how you formatted it.

Right now I have a page in my spreadsheet that lists the expected total payment and the month expected to be received. Since the values are all updated from the main page containing share count and forward dividend rate, it's pretty much automatic so I can look to see what's coming in the month(s) ahead. I have a column on the main page listing the date and amount of the last increase but then you hit the problem of the Canadian banks, railroads and some REITs that increase multiple times a year. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to format it so that I can get the information you have plus what I have without making the sheet unreadable and without adding another sheet to the document. Hmmmm ...

Two questions, R2R:

Do you own the companies on the lines that have no shading such as GE or T or are they just placeholders?

I notice that you have no Consumer Staples. Is that by preference or is it just pricing hasn't been cooperating for a long time now?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan