Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My portfolio update:
Just keeping you all updated with my current portfolio. It's changed a lot since I first started investing.

All in all I'm invested into

XOM
BP
MCD
AFL
GSK
ULVR
GAZP
LLOY <-- Was a massive cash cow before 2008. Betting it will be again.
CLLN
MSFT

I realise I'm majorly overweight in Oil but BP was too cheap to miss.
Any comments welcomed.
Good list Lewys.

This mini era may be a time that people write back about for MCD with its historically high yield of ~3.6% and spin a bunch of yarn about "What if you bough MCD in 2013-2015 ... " Average 3% buyback a year is nice, reducing the share count by ~ 22.5% in the last 10 years.

I personally plan to continue hammering on XOM, BP ... I'd do the same for MSFT if it wasn't already 5% of my portfolio
My thoughts exactly.
GAZP unfortunately is a legacy issue from when I just started investing.
I got MCD at 3.6% and BP at a massive (for such a solid company) 6%

My problem at the moment is diversifying my portfolio. It's hard not to go overweight when oil is so depressed and as such so cheap. The plan is to buy what's undervalued and re-balance with cash later as my portfolio grows.
Looking good, Lewys. Saw an interesting post about GSK having a massive pipeline of drugs - higher than any other pharma company.
I only have JNJ in the space...might be good to add another one. Have been looking at AMGN and now kicking myself for not buying when I looked at it at the $115 level. GSK might be a good one as well. I need to dig deeper.
(01-08-2015, 11:54 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Looking good, Lewys. Saw an interesting post about GSK having a massive pipeline of drugs - higher than any other pharma company.
I only have JNJ in the space...might be good to add another one. Have been looking at AMGN and now kicking myself for not buying when I looked at it at the $115 level. GSK might be a good one as well. I need to dig deeper.

What attracted me to GSK was the HUGE pipeline and the depressed price due to a bribery scandal in China. China stopped selling all their drugs for a while which depressed the Stock price. They are now regaining the ground lost.
Hi, quite a nice portfolio!
Apart from the huge overweight in oil that you already mentioned, the only other thing that comes to mind is the fact that I can see that you are from the UK based on your portfolio. (I realise this might be due to brokerage fees.) Most of your companies seem to operate on a worldwide scale so geographical diversification has obviously been taken care of quite well but I would still look more into companies which have very little to do with the UK, mainly because it's the country you live in. Because you work and live in the UK you are already extremely dependent on their economy, investments that have nothing to do with the UK should provide a nice umbrella should the brown stuff hit the fan in the UK. This would also greatly reduce the losses if the UK government would do something stupid (such as raising corporate tax) which would negatively affect all the companies registered there.

Now if you happen to be from outside of the UK, then I just wrote quite a bit of useless text.
(01-26-2015, 04:20 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Hi, quite a nice portfolio!
Apart from the huge overweight in oil that you already mentioned, the only other thing that comes to mind is the fact that I can see that you are from the UK based on your portfolio. (I realise this might be due to brokerage fees.) Most of your companies seem to operate on a worldwide scale so geographical diversification has obviously been taken care of quite well but I would still look more into companies which have very little to do with the UK, mainly because it's the country you live in. Because you work and live in the UK you are already extremely dependent on their economy, investments that have nothing to do with the UK should provide a nice umbrella should the brown stuff hit the fan in the UK. This would also greatly reduce the losses if the UK government would do something stupid (such as raising corporate tax) which would negatively affect all the companies registered there.

Now if you happen to be from outside of the UK, then I just wrote quite a bit of useless text.

Nope I'm from the UK! So a very useful comment thank you.
I definitely prefer worldwide companies with a solid track record. I only have 1 speculative stock at the moment in CLLN.

Unfortunately I'm sitting on my hands a lot so far this year as there don't seem to be any compelling opportunities, an anti austerity far left party just got elcted in Greece so that might create some opportunities.
Quick update on my portfolio;

Looking at: NXT plc, BHP, T, JNJ, P&G as targets atm.

[Image: tjIEYoo.png?1]

NOTE: ABF for growth (very speculative but I felt like throwing in some risk)
CLLN + GAZP early buys that I don't stand by now
Neptune Russia - Small speculative major value play

Coming months all buys will be for core holdings.
(04-21-2015, 02:05 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: Looking at: NXT plc, BHP, T, JNJ, P&G as targets atm.

Looks like a generally nice foundation of stocks there, Lewys. Especially if future purchases will be core stuff, as you indicate. Just my 2 cents, but I'd take PG off of the target list for now. With a P/E around 25, earnings going nowhere, and a payout ratio near 80 percent, I'm guessing a buy now will only lock you into substandard returns. With luck, PG will offer better entry points down the road if you want it in your portfolio. I'd be much more excited about JNJ at these prices, or even T.

Good luck!
(04-22-2015, 03:13 PM)Kerim Wrote: [quote='Lewys120' pid='6858' dateline='1429643152']Looking at: NXT plc, BHP, T, JNJ, P&G as targets atm.

Looks like a generally nice foundation of stocks there, Lewys. Especially if future purchases will be core stuff, as you indicate. Just my 2 cents, but I'd take PG off of the target list for now. With a P/E around 25, earnings going nowhere, and a payout ratio near 80 percent, I'm guessing a buy now will only lock you into substandard returns. With luck, PG will offer better entry points down the road if you want it in your portfolio. I'd be much more excited about JNJ at these prices, or even T.

I agree there plus I already own ULVR. I must say I like P&G products and brands so I'm always keeping an eye out at their shares. VERY doubtful I'll be picking any shares up anytime soon.

I've taken a few speculative positions now (ABF for one) so will build on my core.

There's a general election here in the UK on May 7th and the polls are neck and neck. It's very likely that there will be a hung parliament (no-one able to form a government). I think this will cause some panic in the stock market.

Therefore my tactic is to sit on some cash for now and see if there's any opportunities in the FTSE come May 7th.

If not, I'll be using the money I'm holding to buy into JNJ and possibly T + KO.
[Image: BYsqwzr.png]
Just posting an update on my portfolio.

New positions are;

AAPL 
FLO

BT Group
Greggs 

Weight changes are;

MCD 50% Sold at $124 
MSFT 33% Sold at $54 

Sales are;

BP

Let me know what you think.
Suggestions are welcome!

Moving forward I'm looking to add more consumer staples.
I'm not looking at tech.

Tempted by;

DIS but low yield and poor £ to $ exchange is putting me off (not that things are going to improve anytime soon on the exchange front)
WFG

Attached Files Image(s)