Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ORI
I held ORI for a couple of years, but finally sold late last summer when the yield dipped well under five per cent, none of that yield on cost nonsense for me. The yield gets too low, I'll find something that pays more, right in the here and now.

Well yesterday I noticed that ORI has dropped considerably from my $15.30 exit so the shares were added back plus a few extras at $14.00 where they once again yield over 5%. ORI is a stodgy insurance company with slow dividend growth, but a very long track record. Today's yield about 5.2%.

Here is the previous dividend announcement:
"Nov. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Board of Directors of Old Republic International Corporation (ORI) today declared a quarterly cash dividend on the common stock of 18.25 cents per share.......This latest dividend increase marks the 33rd consecutive year that Old Republic has boosted its cash dividend rate, and 2014 becomes the 73rd year of uninterrupted cash dividend payments."
Alex
Alex, thanks for pointing this out. I looked at the CCC list and liked a lot of the stats -- payout ratio < 50%, past earnings growth around high teens, next 5 year earnings growth expected to be about 10% annually, price/book < 1, ROE high teens -- and then I looked at the dividend growth rate. Around 1.5%/year? Is there some reason why it's so low when it seems the earnings would uphold a little faster growth?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan