Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utilities sector
Just posted on the blog. Sector Overview - Utilities

Looking for feedback on what everyone thinks from the filtering and the breakdown.
Another post, this time focusing on the water utilities.
How to Invest in Water - Water Utilities
I just posted an updated Top Ten List for the utility sector on Seeking Alpha. Stocks are expensive, but there are still a few with appealing yields and dividend growth. As always, enjoy hearing feedback if you find it useful, see anything that could be improved, or think I am missing a good company for the list.

"Buyer Beware! My Top Income Stocks In An Expensive Utility Sector"

Thanks.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
My Top Ten Utility Stocks For 2017 was just posted on Seeking Alpha.

The sector remains quite expensive, but there are a few that are still worth a look at today's prices.

For easy access, here is the top ten, click the link if you want to hear my thoughts on each company.

[Image: 7404831-14830804016294918_origin.png]

2017's Top Ten Utility Stocks For Dividend Growth And Income

Enjoy!
I updated my spreadsheet for the utility sector last week, here is a link to the updated list on my site.

Hope it's helpful for people!

Man the sector is expensive right now!
Lets hope we get a few buying opportunities soon. I think this sector is due for a big pullback because they are trading at our near historic levels. Once they raise interest rates and it will happen soon this sector will go back to more normal PE and yield.

Would love AEP at $65. That's my favorite name in the sector.
Here's a write-up I did on Dominion Energy (D), which I bought more of a few weeks ago.

Recent Buy: Dominion Energy

Enjoy!
Has anyone else noticed that SCG's price has fallen off a cliff. There are been some very shady dealings going on...
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4104267...sure-scana
(10-05-2017, 09:55 AM)benjamen Wrote: Has anyone else noticed that SCG's price has fallen off a cliff.  There are been some very shady dealings going on...
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4104267...sure-scana

Yeah, it's been hit hard, perhaps justifiably so.

May be worth a speculative buy, but I don't know that I'd buy it for income at this point.
I posted an update last night on my utility sector watch list for anyone who may be interested.

https://dgiforthediy.com/watch-lists/uti...atch-list/
(12-08-2019, 02:12 PM)EricL Wrote: I posted an update last night on my utility sector watch list for anyone who may be interested.

https://dgiforthediy.com/watch-lists/uti...atch-list/

I'll be on it like a duck on a June bug in a minute Eric.  Smile   I truly enjoy your Ute contributions to the DGI world.  You've put me on a few great Utes. I don't run out and buy everything you like, but I've noticed when I happen to agree with you it's been good for my account balance.  HATED the PE for a Ute but took a chance on NEE as an example.  If I'm ever in your hometown I owe you a Cracker Barrel lunch.  Maybe even one of your better restaurant holdings. Smile     

I'll be back here with some Ute comments or questions after I check your update.
Nice update. I have some reading to do. I am a few years from real retirement and would like to make UTEs a core sector. Perhaps as highs as 20% of total port but no way I can make that leap quickly after the strong run. I'm under 10% at the moment. I am thinking 5 core holdings, and a few small positions for entertainment. I'd appreciate your feedback on where I am at the moment.

Definite plans are to build my positions in these cores. NEE, AEP, XEL, and D, no particular order for now. I've owned XEL for about 25 years when they were still Northern State Power. Bought a fair amount when fools were acting like they were going BK. So they are going to stop needing electricity in Minneapolis next winter? I'm sure that sounds like a brag but it was the easiest decision I ever made on a stock in free fall.

I need a water UTE. Got a suggestion for a first position if I go slow? I don't even want to check the PE. Going to have to hold my nose and wade in slowly. I don't excited about a UTE yield under 3% so that's mostly a problem. I am amazed how long this UTE run has held up. Only recently losing a little steam.

I know you aren't an option guy, and generally buy smaller positions. I NEVER buy options because it's a sucker's bet. I do sell them for the exact same reason. I sell puts until I finally get forced long in my UTEs. That's a good way to enter but in a market like this you often just collect about 1% a month cash and try again next month. Lately I sell puts on PPL and EXC every month trying to enter at my price. EXC is one you might consider for your watch list. It's my local UTE along with Berkshire's Mid-American. EXC got in trouble in their IL market. IL is so dirty since forever. Retirements and this will pass. Fun fact, Illinois has had FOUR governors indicted in my lifetime. A couple serving prison time the past ten years. Thankfully EXC is not just about IL though.