Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Havel a chance!
As of today, my portfolio is +$5100 over last year's close. That is after taking an IRA distribution of $32,400. During the year we also added $8,000 in new funding into the regular account. That amount is equivalent to $10,700 in IRA value. Anyway, my hoping and wishing goal is to recoup the $32,400 distribution. At +$29,500 today, we are within striking distance of the desired mark! I feel just like an underdog sports team, having stayed in the game until the 4th quarter, and if the final few minutes just go our way.......
Alex
That is awesome, Alex! Congrats on your years of diligent accumulating and captaining your portfolio for a win.

Over Christmas, as I was beginning my portfolio evaluation, I noticed that I had beaten my value and income estimates/goals for the year too.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Contgrats Alex, I, like Dividend Watcher, am in the middle of evaluating my 2014 results. I'll post the numbers to this thread when I complete the end of year accounting.

M$$I
My portfolio is supplemental, for discretionary spending. For the past couple of years we have taken about 12% in distributions, which is way higher than is prudent. My goal each year is to replace the distribution plus at least enough extra to cover inflation. I didn't have any realistic expectation of achieving that this year, so am very happy to see combined new cash plus earnings move the value to greater than last year's close and to a new all time high. 2015 distributions may be about the same, not sure yet, but new cash savings goal is much higher. That ongoing process is gradually shifting the ratio from the IRA accounts with their high tax burden to the regular account whose dividend stream mostly has favored tax status.

In two years we will adjust IRA distributions as the current need/use will have been eliminated. At that point will try to keep maximum distributions equal to the earnings stream of investments. Most of social security will continue to fund growth of the cash account.
Alex
My portfolio performance for 2014.

http://www.mainstreetstockinvestor.com/#!blog/chn
Nicely done. Come 1/14, I will be evaluating mine. Why that date? Because that was the date of my first dividend payment in the portfolio's history, and so I decided to set each quarter starting from the 14th of the month (January, April, July, and October). I care little about the portfolio's value, it's the quarterly and annual dividend payouts that I care about. I will plan my next moves around my cash flow.

I don't really have a goal for this year other than "make more money in dividends", but I am hoping that it's something substantial. I'm 29 (started the portfolio when I was 28), and am hoping to retire between the ages of 35 and 40. I don't know how realistic that is, but the best I can do is try.

Hope everyone meets their goals! Happy Belated New Year, everybody!